Author Topic: Minneapolis Cell Phone Robberies  (Read 377 times)

Offline David in MN

• Survival Demonstrator
Minneapolis Cell Phone Robberies
« on: October 01, 2019, 10:54:42 AM »
This is a preventative notice but I hope this doesn't expand beyond my neck of the woods.

18 people (some as young as 15) have been charged in what appears to be an organized crime ring for stealing cell phones. Brief story here.

https://www.mprnews.org/story/2019/09/16/eighteen-people-charged-in-two-violent-minneapolis-robberies

It seems they have one person make contact and chat up the mark while the others encircle him and proceed to beat him senseless. As in one victim had a potted plant broken over his head.

The whole point of the assaults is to get the cell phone which can be turned in at a company called ecoATM self drop kiosk for cash. It's little more than a strongarm robbery for a few bucks. But the extreme violence (some of the security camera footage comes real close to attempted murder) and the fact that victims are basically left for dead unconscious in their underwear got some publicity which in turn lit a fire under Minneapolis PD and hopefully it's being cleaned up.

Like I said, this has so far been confined to Minneapolis (not even St. Paul) but it's a good reminder because we all have been the dummy walking out of a nightclub or a baseball game (2 big targets of this group) with our head in the phone checking messages or getting an Uber.

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
Re: Minneapolis Cell Phone Robberies
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2019, 03:10:41 PM »
Good reminder.  It disgusts me that people will practically kill someone for just a couple bucks.

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2019, 03:37:01 PM »
Good reminder.  It disgusts me that people will practically kill someone for just a couple bucks.

^^^ This.

Offline David in MN

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2019, 04:11:08 PM »
Actually the violence was the problem. Had this organized crime syndicate had the good sense to merely threaten violence and walk away with the phone they could have operated for years. But you show the public at large a video where a guy gets cold cocked, stripped to his underwear, a planter broken over his head, and run over by bicycles it doesn't play well.

Add to that the mundane fact that we all have phones and it was a real call to action. One of those rare circumstances where local news bothered the police brass.

Hopefully it's over and done but it can't be overstated that the money from the phones in no way sustained all 8 attackers let alone their families so the violence is actually the root cause. Random violence is scary.

Offline iam4liberty

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2019, 04:37:30 PM »
Random attacks like this are becoming common in certain cities; Minneapolis, Detroit, Portland, Kansas City MO, and parts of New York (Bronx esp.).  I've seen at least a dozen of these attacks posted on social media for Minneapolis. But that is nothing compared to the near daily random hits in New York.  Here is one from a couple days ago:

https://twitter.com/NYPD71Pct/status/1178826988808802304

Offline DDJ

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2019, 10:18:04 AM »
Remember the knock out game.  This one just have a profit for the  bad guys.

Offline iam4liberty

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2019, 08:20:32 AM »
Watch the video in below article.  That is an example of what is happening regularly in Oregon.  The littlest thing can set them off.  This is a rare example of an actual arrest.  Most of the time they are let go under Mayors' orders.

https://www.oregonlive.com/crime/2019/10/mother-who-slashed-strangers-throat-during-taco-bell-beef-in-sandy-sentenced-to-7-years.html

Only seven years (more like five given mandatory reductions) and this psychopath who smiles for mug shots will be back on the streets.

I just dont understand the mindset of people in these areas allowing this to continue.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2019, 08:27:18 AM by iam4liberty »