Author Topic: Where to hide an apartment key?  (Read 3808 times)

Offline IKN

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
Re: Where to hide an apartment key?
« Reply #30 on: December 23, 2019, 07:19:32 AM »
For hiding a actual key, most apartment complexes have common trash disposal areas. Many are fenced in so as not to be unsightly.
I'd look for a place inside this area to hide a key in or under something that isn't likely to be moved or searched.
Even if someone did find it by chance, they'd have to figure out which apartment door it fit and who's going to notice someone hiding a key in the garbage area ?

Aside from that, I'd find a place to hide a small lock pick set. It was amazing how easy a door lock and deadbolt were to pick the first time I tried. Took me less to 15 minutes.

Offline Carver

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #31 on: December 23, 2019, 11:42:18 AM »
I never picked a lock in my life, watched a YouTube video on it and picked our entry door lock first try, under a minute.
My picking tools were the flat piece of metal in a window washer blade.

Offline David in MN

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #32 on: December 23, 2019, 01:03:56 PM »
I never picked a lock in my life, watched a YouTube video on it and picked our entry door lock first try, under a minute.
My picking tools were the flat piece of metal in a window washer blade.

Yup, that's how you make them. I like to add wood handles because I have big hands but beyond that most houses are little more than a few seconds raking and poof you're in. It's always eye opening when friends see that with tinsnips, a wiper blade, and a soda can I can break most of the world's locks.

And that's just the start. You get into bumpkeys or even a gun and you're off. It's a fun skill to acquire but everyone that does has the pants poop moment where we see just how flimsy our locks are.

Offline Mr. Bill

• Like a hot cocoa mojito
  • Administrator
  • Forum Veteran
  • Trained Attack Sheepdog/Troll hunter
    • Website Maintenance and Online Presence Management by Mr. Bill
« Reply #33 on: December 23, 2019, 02:43:46 PM »
...everyone that does has the pants poop moment where we see just how flimsy our locks are.

Hardly matters, the way that some of our doors and windows are built and installed.

[Topic drift alert...]

Our brand of manufactured home was very proud of its steel entry doors.  I discovered that one door was held on by exactly TWO long screws, and all the other screws attaching the hinges to the frame were 3/8".

(Yes, I did an absolutely terrible handyman job of repairing it.  There may be as many as 4 long screws that aren't stripped or broken now, so a huge improvement.)

We're house-hunting, and it's amazing the number of homes that have decorative windows on one or both sides of the front door, as well as in the door itself.

Of course there's always a sliding glass door on the back patio that is well-secluded from view.  Probably best just to leave a brick on your patio so they don't have to mess up your landscaping looking for a rock or a garden gnome.

Offline David in MN

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #34 on: December 23, 2019, 04:11:38 PM »
That depends. Our slider is caulked shut for winter with a visible Charlie bar So unless it's broken it is unusable. With a foot of snow any home invade would take 20 minutes to get to the door. I could clean my shotgun waiting for him.

Sorry about the screws. First thing a handyman worth his salt does is toss the crap screws and buy new steel longer screws. An improperly hung door is a safety hazard because it could seize in an emergency.

These days I've taken to shoving a housekey in the handle of the old spatula on the grill. It would suck to go through the snow but it's the doorlock and deadbolt of both my back and garage door. But I'll also confess I got locked out a couple months back and just used the code entry to my car and opened the overhead. I've also been studying to put a commercial lock on the front door with either a code or a fingerprint ID. My wife locked the keys in the car a while back (we all do stupid things) and I walked her through the code entry and while it wouldn't have been the end of the world for me to drive over to her parents it really was a convenience.

I also get miffed at modern cars. Years gone by GM would give a "valet key" that you could tuck in your wallet and give to a parking attendant rather than fumble with your keyring. It claimed it couldn't open the trunk which was retarded because it had a lever on the floor that opened the trunk. Now I know "trunk entry" isn't a safety feature on my SUV but gosh it was nice to have a dirt cheap no electrics key you could stuff in a wallet and was just pot steel. I could lock my keys in the car and put that one on a necklace and go for a jog in a state park or whatever. I actually like the Euro model where you leave your hotel key at the front desk. One less thing to worry about.

It's so easy to pin a key under your deck or on your grill and I have one with the neighbor lady. I find it reassuring that I could be in some far flung destination and have her enter the house to take care of an issue. I'd do it for her.

I also can't recommend using an angle grinder or belt sander to remove the "do not copy" on the apartment key and have copies made. I would imagine when you move out your landlord might call you "that fucker". We lived a treeline from a rail junction and I did some creative stuff to hide a key under the junction where people just went to smoke crack.

I also have an out-of the-box sloution. I know a couple who live in a downtown high rise where the front desk is always staffed and they could get home keyless and the front desk could push a button to open their door. If you don't want kids and you want to be downtown a "doorman" building doesn't suck. But that's more a lifestyle solution than a slick trick. Not for everybody.