Author Topic: The # 1 must have item in all bug out / get home vehicles.  (Read 3263 times)

Offline Prepper Rob

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
    • Rob's Prepper Presentations
The # 1 must have item in all bug out / get home vehicles.
« on: October 15, 2019, 05:16:23 PM »
The # 1 must have item in all bug out / get home vehicles is gasoline.  I suggest everyone fill up at the 1/2 full mark.  This will give you gas to get home, less stored gas to pour in and gas to drive to where emergency supplies are in a couple of months.

For the reluctant prepper tell them that filling up 1/2 way will prevent them from forgetting and running out of gas on the highway and being hurt or killed. 

Also tell them that running 1/8 to 1/4 tank full is hard on the fuel pump which is inside and at the bottom of the fuel tank and it uses the 1/4 tank fuel over the pump to keep it cool.

Prepper Rob

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
Re: The # 1 must have item in all bug out / get home vehicles.
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2019, 07:59:49 AM »
Good reminder, Rob.

Offline Stwood

• Survival Veteran
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?

Offline Exarchy

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2019, 07:46:03 AM »
Yeah, everyone should be reminded on this.

Offline Redman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Lost in the 50's
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2019, 07:50:08 AM »
I fill up ours at 1/2 tank indicated or slightly above that.

Offline David in MN

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2019, 09:03:59 AM »
I fill at 1/2. Particularly in winter. And I keep a few NATO jerry cans (which is a racist term but with us Germans it's allowed  ;)). I detest running low on fuel. Keep the car and tractor going.

Also keep track that I have the fuel on hand to get to the cabin, our BOL if something should go south here. You never know if a train derailment and chemical leak could force you out of your house.

I miss having an actual gas "tank" when we had the farm. We had a 200 gallon barrel and man is it nice for gassing up the equipment or filling the farm pickup. Real nice to spend a day at work and not have to think about running to the gas station that's 20 minute's drive. I guess the farm mentality stuck in me.

It is mind blowing how many people don't have enough fuel in their car to get to the hospital. Real dumb.

Offline Stwood

• Survival Veteran
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2019, 11:42:03 AM »
I really try, and usually keep everything half or better.
Pickup has 2 tanks and I really like that. One is always full.

Now the wife and the car......... ::) ::)
*You better put gas in before we leave*

WHAT?????? You were just in town 2 days ago......

*That was on Sunday dear husband. You know I don't buy anything on Sunday*

::) ::) ::)

:facepalm:

Offline Carver

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2020, 07:15:48 PM »

Also tell them that running 1/8 to 1/4 tank full is hard on the fuel pump which is inside and at the bottom of the fuel tank and it uses the 1/4 tank fuel over the pump to keep it cool.

Prepper Rob
That is an interesting point I've never heard before. Thanks.
I had an experience with using a 5 gallon (non-metallic) gas can to fill my tank. It was a bitch! It was one of those new safe-for-Californians to use type - and you get it up and shove the spout into the receptacle and the cap wasn't cranked down tight enough so the gas dribbles out, on your shoes. That can happen with any type of can. I actually have learned to like this new safety style can, but learn how to use it. Worse, and a nightmare, is to try to fill your tank, which on my truck the cap is about waist high, with a 5 gallon can with one of those accordion-style spouts that you have to navigate into the opening as it is already pouring and goes all over before, if ever, you get it into place. Once you have mastered this task, try it in real world conditions; like it is -10F, it is dark and windy and you can't use gloves and there are cars flying by in a blinding snowstorm.

So my solution is that my 5 gallon cans stay at home as a reserve and I only carry smaller 2 gallon cans, with or without the safety spout. I also carry a funnel that will fit into the tank orifice so that I can remove an irritable spout and pour the gas into the funnel from an uncapped can.

Offline scoob

• Senior Survivalist
  • Chicken-farming knuckle-dragger
    • Marksmanship, History, Civic Engagement
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2020, 09:53:38 AM »
+1
When we moved out of town, we adopted "Half is the new empty" doctrine.  Every once in a while, we almost have to chant that to ourselves as we head home on our commute and don't feel like stopping for gas when we're close to that halfway mark.  It's a challenge when you have to fill up every couple of days.  Most of our drive is out of cell service, so having plenty of fuel is pretty cheap insurance if we have to do a vehicle bug-in due to a snowstorm or something.

Offline Stwood

• Survival Veteran
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2020, 12:25:13 PM »
Wife pulled Her stunt again last Sunday.  :facepalm:
Car is sitting here out of gas.

Maybe I'll remove the trunk lid and set a 250 gravity fed tank in the trunk. One of those MadMax retro's.  ::)

Offline David in MN

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2020, 09:09:19 AM »
I love it when the Mrs. borrows my car. I get to bash my knees on the steering wheel because the seat is in midget mode (she's 5'4" and I'm 6'2"), the radio is blaring some Taylor Swift station, and the car made it up the drive burning fumes. I drive her car and I return it full of gas, washed, and with all her settings to her liking.

I've tried to make sense of it but to no avail. My brother in law says it's just a Y chromosome thing. Who knows?

Offline Stwood

• Survival Veteran
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2020, 09:47:37 AM »
We have a crown vic pi, and I can sit in the seat, but no way can I swing my legs under the wheel or into the floor board after she drives it.
I automatically reach for the seat adjust handle.

Offline Carver

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2020, 10:50:29 AM »
On the other hand she doesn't understand why I can't get the clothes in the hamper, why the bathroom mirror is splattered, why I leave my shoes where she trips on them, why I leave spots on the table instead of using a coaster.... so I don't say anything about the car seat and mirror in midget mode.

Offline iam4liberty

• Survival Veteran
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2020, 10:55:49 AM »
LOL.  My wife (5 ft even vs. my 6 ft) just used the truck and same thing transpired.  :)