Author Topic: Choosing machete/kukri for camping  (Read 863 times)

Offline nocturnal

• Prepper
Choosing machete/kukri for camping
« on: November 06, 2019, 04:09:56 AM »
Was looking for a small hatchet at first, but then it has occurred to me that a machete (as I was pretty impressed by my father's machete) or kukri (they were recommended as "great multipurpose blades") might come in handy.
I know that it might a controversial topic, as I've been looking through some reviews and videos, and it seems to me that there's no ultimate solution.
But which one - from your experience - might be more versatile when it comes to camping? I need a solid knife that will cut tall grass and 2" woody brush and branches with a good swing. No hardwood near me, and that's why I'm considering knives in the first place.
Unfortunately I've never worked with the kukri blades, so I was wanting someone here to offer some input on the pros and cons of the kukri vs. cutlass type.

I am debating on the Cold Steel Kukri, the Ka-bar Kukri and a Ka-bar Cutlass. And I'm looking for personal experience of any of these that will push me towards final decision.

So, any ideas?

Offline Fyrediver

• Survivalist Mentor
Re: Choosing machete/kukri for camping
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2019, 01:23:14 PM »
I think machetes are better for lighter vegetation and Kukris are better against insurgents.

Offline rustyknife

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2019, 03:09:11 PM »
I think machetes are better for lighter vegetation and Kukris are better against insurgents.
     I agree. Machetes can be sharpened to a razor edge but flex too much on thicker stuff. I also think they are easier to carry and deploy if needed. Kukris can take some time to get used to handling.  I do not like the gaiter teeth on the back of my Gerber and stopped carrying it for that reason.

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2019, 06:00:55 PM »
Cold Steel makes inexpensive kukri machetes, if you want to try the concept out without dropping a bunch of money.

Offline David in MN

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2019, 09:13:32 AM »
The iron law of these tools is to buy cheap and replace often. If you really care about a machete, kukri, sickle, or engineering hammer you're probably using it wrong. Same reason I love Moras. It's $12. Beat the crap out of it. Also bear in mind these are normally tools for hot coastal climates so it's just common knowledge it will pit and rust out and need replacement.

Machete vs. kikri? Ford and Chevy. They both work so it's just a preference thing.

Another option is a Japanese gardening knife. I have one that's equal parts knife, saw, and spade. It became my go-to this year for yardwork.

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2019, 04:39:07 AM »
Look at the Cold Steel Trailmaster, too. It’s a modern Bowie that’s cheaper and easier to sharpen than a Kukri and chops well.

In my opinion, about 75% of Cold Steel’s designs are marketing BS but they do have some winners and their steel is very good.

Offline Greekman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2019, 11:27:05 AM »
Machete vs. kikri? Ford and Chevy. They both work so it's just a preference thing.

not exactly according to someone that was making lots of jungle living, etc.
Machetes are good for long skinny branches that flex nad move. Parangs (closer to kukris) are for thicker stuff.

My segestion is to try something like these.. it is formidable on small trees, cos it combines weight with a gradually thinning to an edge profile
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Fiskars-Chopping-Brush-Axe-78606935J/202681658
https://www.amazon.com/Eastern-Cloud-Professional-Billhook-Balanced/dp/B003DIL8J8
https://www.woodmanspal.com/
« Last Edit: November 10, 2019, 11:32:08 AM by Greekman »

Offline kid_couteau

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2019, 05:56:04 PM »
Try looking at Parangs

Heavier blade and not as "weapony" as a kukri

Offline nocturnal

• Prepper
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2019, 08:53:18 PM »
Thanks for your opinions and expertise, gents!

I was eyeballing CS Gurkha as it has some good reviews and feedback, but some of them got my attention. One wrote "blade is loose in the handle, it rattles inside", others told about issues with humidity and the default sheath. Some guys even mentioned that after some chopping "Kukri took so many rolls on the blade", but I'm just wondering - how much real abuse it took to do that? Also the price. I decided it might be an overkill (as I'm just planning to try a whole new concept for me), even though I liked the shape of the blade. Not this time, I believe.
As I've mentioned already, the other option was Ka-Bar Blade, but it's just smaller (and lighter) than I thought - gave it a try when I was at my friend's home and decided that I still want a heavier blade.

Instead of being compulsive, I ended up ordering Cold Steel kuk'chete - the one FreeLancer mentioned above - it seems to be more practical, so now I can't wait to test it. It's still lighter than I wanted it to be, but it's closer to the kukri than the knife I have now and there's always a room for an upgrade. Certainly, it might take a while to get used to it, but it's worth a try.   

Plan to post some updates as soon as I could take it with me in the woods.