Author Topic: Battery bank for off grid living  (Read 353 times)

Offline JVCLATblanco2009

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Battery bank for off grid living
« on: November 12, 2019, 08:11:57 AM »
Grid power stops 8 miles south and about 10 miles north of me. I currently get my power from a champion 3500 running watt hybrid inverter generator. My home is a 3 bed 2 bath double wide. I run propane for my dryer, water heater, fridge and range. My heat source is strictly wood. Electrically I run my washer, the tumbler in the dryer and pump water from a 2000 gallon cistern as well as lights and various small appliances. I have a 7500 watt champion that only runs my well pump to fill the cistern. My box is wired for 120v. I currently run my generator on average 2-3 hours in the morning and the same in the evening. I would like to install a battery bank and hopefully cut the time in half or more. This is my full time residence so it doesn't have to be done right now as we are used to living without it. I need to know how many batteries I need to shoot for? Hooked up parallel or in series? And how to hook it up so that while I am running the generator in the mornings it will charge the bank but the my wife can switch to the bank when she shuts off the generator after I leave for work.

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
Re: Battery bank for off grid living
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2019, 12:16:23 PM »
I have no experience at all with battery banks, but I'll be interested to see the replies...

Offline r_w

• Dedicated Contributor
  • On my way
Re: Battery bank for off grid living
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2019, 07:12:20 PM »
Cheap and easy solution:

https://www.mwands.com/shop/product/3000-watt-12-volt-pure-sine-low-frequency-solar-inverter-charger?category=277

I have had one for two years and zero issues.  You wire your genny into it and it to your panel and add enough batteries for how long you want to go between charges.  It can be set up to run as a passthrough when the genny is on or always run from the inverter (good if you need the extra startup surge reading it has or need a true UPS).  Failover back to batteries isn't true UPS fast but fast enough for 99% of stuff the average guy has.  It is like a Stephen Harris battery bank setup in one box.  Downside is it has a noticeable minimal drain, so it drains your batteries even if you have everything else off.  Not a big deal if you are running the genny every day.