Author Topic: My migraines cleared up on its own!  (Read 996 times)

Offline Gamer

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
My migraines cleared up on its own!
« on: December 14, 2019, 06:05:06 PM »
A word of comfort for migraine sufferers out there-
I had classic migraines for about 40 years every month or two (flashing neon lights before the eyes followed by a splitting headache for the next few hours) and had to take a couple of aspirins to be able to live with the pain.
But over the past couple of years, although I still get the harmless neons, I no longer get the splitting headaches and don't have to take aspirins, so if it can clear up on its own like it did for me, it can possibly clear up for anybody else..:)

PS- below is a good graphic of what the neons look like, but unlike the short vid mine usually last for about 20 minutes-

https://youtu.be/jAbH1r93xoo

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Geese Smuggling Moonbat
  • Survival Veteran
  • There are no mistakes, just Learning Experiences
Re: My migraines cleared up on its own!
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2019, 08:19:03 PM »
I am so glad for you.  I don't get them often, about once a month  ;) but man are they a killer!

Offline Mr. Bill

• Like a hot cocoa mojito
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • Trained Attack Sheepdog/Troll hunter
    • Website Maintenance and Online Presence Management by Mr. Bill
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2019, 10:08:35 PM »
Congratulations, Gamer!

PS- below is a good graphic of what the neons look like, but unlike the short vid mine usually last for about 20 minutes-

https://youtu.be/jAbH1r93xoo

Ouch!  That was so realistic it nearly gave me one.

I get the flickering stuff about once every 2 years, but (luckily) with hardly any headache.  We have a "family migraine": mine and my mom's and my brother's all look about the same.

Imagine that with the flickering from that YouTube video and you'll have a pretty good picture of it.  Sorta entertaining but always arrives at inconvenient times (of course).

My brother had his first one at age 56 and was so alarmed he went to the emergency room.  He thought he was having a stroke.

Offline Gamer

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2019, 01:03:13 AM »
As a matter of interest, in a post-apocalyptic end-of-world survival scenario what will migraine sufferers (and anybody else with a headache or toothache etc) do when the aspirins / paracetamols run out?
I think aspirins can be made from willow bark or something?

Offline Redman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Lost in the 50's

Offline surfivor

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2019, 07:09:47 AM »

Are migraines stress related in any way ?

Offline Mr. Bill

• Like a hot cocoa mojito
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • Trained Attack Sheepdog/Troll hunter
    • Website Maintenance and Online Presence Management by Mr. Bill
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2019, 01:33:25 PM »

Sorta maybe.  Seems like there's a lot of variation from one person to another.  Sometimes people can identify foods or other stuff that triggers a migraine, sometimes it just seems to happen on its own schedule.

Once, I woke up with a migraine at 4AM, and I don't think I was stressed at that moment.

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Geese Smuggling Moonbat
  • Survival Veteran
  • There are no mistakes, just Learning Experiences
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2019, 05:25:21 PM »
mine are triggered by my menstrual cycle.  and not every month - I have not found any other correlation.

On another note, an older lady (late 70s, early 80s?) at church today was so happy to show me her new piercings.  Keep in mind we are a VERY conservative church and area - women may have a pair of earrings, men none at all.  Anyway, she had bars put into her ears as a migraine prevention.  I have heard of it before, but she says that they have helped her migraines fade from a constant dull ache to almost gone since she got them.  I guess they are called Daith piercings?

Offline Gamer

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2019, 06:03:51 PM »

In my case definitely not, because I've always been one of the most relaxed cool dudes around and in good health..:)
For a very long time I've tried to work out if any "trigger" could cause my migraines but have found absolutely no pattern to them, they seem to come on any time day or night regardless of what I've been eating or doing.
At first I used to think having my TV or computer monitor contrast too high and glaring might have been a trigger, so I always keep the contrast and brightness turned down, but like I said I still get migraines even if I'm not watching TV or a monitor (but thankfully I don't get the headaches any more, just the harmless flashing "neons")
Heck I sometimes wake up in the night with flashing neons, so they even hit me when I'm asleep!
It's a fascinating condition because it affects both eyes simultaneously, so something must be going on in the vision centre of the brain.