Author Topic: Sleep Apnea Power supply block hooked up to inverter question  (Read 1026 times)

Offline Prepper Rob

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
    • Rob's Prepper Presentations
Sleep Apnea Power supply block hooked up to inverter question
« on: December 22, 2019, 12:14:02 PM »
Greetings young wiper snappers tech guys or tech guys who were always tired before they got there sleep apnea machine.

My wife and I have the same Resmed sleep apnea machine and on power supply block on both of them says the output voltage is DC +24=3.75A

When the electric power grid is taken out I plan on having in the bedroom a deep cycle 12 volt battery, inverter, a good surge protector power strip to plug both machines into.

In addition to this do I need a pure sine wave converter on my set up or will the power supply block not care if the voltage drops because it is converting it ?

What other idea do you Guys and Ladies have on this topic ?

Rob, Louisville Kentucky 

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
Re: Sleep Apnea Power supply block hooked up to inverter question
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2019, 02:42:47 PM »
You might not need a PSW inverter since you’re running a transformer between an AC source and your DC machines and they usually do fine with MSW. Also, any inverter will compensate for the inevitable voltage drop from its source battery by increasing the amps used to maintain a constant AC output voltage.

Since your machines take a DC input, you might look into methods where you skip the inefficiencies inherent with converting DC to AC and then back to DC.  In that situation you could get an up converter to boost your single battery to 24V, which should be more efficient but will require you to wire it up with cables and connectors that fit your machines. You could also hook 2 batteries in series or look into whether ResMed has a turnkey solution for grid down situations, they have undoubtedly had to address this issue with other users.

Either way, your health is well worth spending the extra time and/or money to get it right, and make sure to test it out to get an idea how many nights you can go between charges.

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2019, 03:15:20 PM »
look into whether ResMed has a turnkey solution for grid down situations, they have undoubtedly had to address this issue with other users.

I found this pdf from ResMed on this subject, lots of good info and options here:  https://www.resmed.com/us/dam/documents/articles/198103_battery-guide_glo_eng.pdf

scoop

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2019, 07:19:21 PM »
And to prolong the battery life during use, turn off the humidifier and hose heater function.

Offline creuzerm

• Survivalist Mentor
    • My Blog
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2020, 08:06:16 AM »
I have a 'solar generator' which has a 24v out specifically for sleep apnea machines.  Not a cheap device - ~$300. However I LOVE the thing.

I have a solar panel on the roof of my van and this 'solar generator' lives in my van. I charge so many things using it. It has 4 USB chargers, with two of them being high-speed chargers. A 110v 300 watt inverter, a 12v lighter plug.

It can charge off of solar, 12v lighter plug, or 110v AC.

It's a little magic box that just works and continues to work because I can charge it in all the ways.

It may be worth looking into one of these because they are handy in their own right, but because it has multiple charge methods, you can design and scale it to suit your needs. Want a solar panel? It just plugs in. Car charge? Easy. Wall charge? easy.

Offline Prepper Rob

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
    • Rob's Prepper Presentations
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2020, 07:46:18 PM »
Greetings Creuzerm

What is the brand name and model number of this solar generator which has a 24v out specifically for sleep apnea machine

Prepper Rob

Offline creuzerm

• Survivalist Mentor
    • My Blog
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2020, 06:13:54 AM »
Greetings Creuzerm

What is the brand name and model number of this solar generator which has a 24v out specifically for sleep apnea machine

Prepper Rob

It was a chinesium unit, so it was sold under many names and no meaningful product number.

Mine specifically isn't available anymore.

The same unit under other labels and different prices.

Check this out at Amazon.com
AIMTOM 300-Watt Portable Power Station - 280Wh Battery Powered Generator Alternative with 12V, 24V, AC and USB Outputs - Solar Rechargeable Lithium Backup Power - for Camping Outdoors RV Emergency https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07T8XSWFN/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apa_i_CGn3EbP1J97ZM

RICH SOLAR X300 Lithium Portable Power Station, 280Wh Rechargeable Solar Generator, Battery Backup Power for Camping Outdoors RV Emergency https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B084SX9HGC/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apa_i_BJn3EbBPWZFE5

NinjaBatt Portable Power Station with 288Wh Lithium Battery, 110V/300W Pure Sine Wave AC Outlet, QC3.0 USB, 12V/24V DC & LED Flashlight, Power Supply for Home Outdoor Camping Fishing Emergencies CPAP https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07X3WC9GC/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apa_i_MKn3Eb34SBDA0

ROCKPALS 300W Portable Power Station, 280Wh CPAP Backup Battery Pack UPS Power Supply 110V Pure Sine Wave AC Outlet, QC3.0 USB, 12V/24V DC, LED Flashlight for Camping, Home, Emergency https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07FFNTGZ6/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apa_i_lMn3EbVT6TDW0

Offline Hurricane

• Survivalist Mentor