Author Topic: honda generator EU2200i  (Read 703 times)

Offline surfivor

• Survival Veteran
honda generator EU2200i
« on: December 27, 2019, 11:38:21 AM »
 I asked the guy at the hardware store if this EU2200i generator that they have would power an electric drill or an angle grinder that runs at 10,000 rpm. He said it would work. I am never totally sure because I thought someone told me these types of power tools surge high when you first start them. This one is fairly quiet apparently though it is more than $1000. It's not as giant a beast as some of the other ones

I had the idea of having a generator to run an angle grinder for mushroom inoculation on logs. I suppose it could come in handy in a power outage or I could use it at my camp but I am not sure I would use it all the time.  I could also run lights, make ice cubes, recharge stuff, run fans, my guitar amp, AC or accessories on my camper. It's just another item that I am not sure how badly I need but I have thought about. It's more stuff to accumulate and take up space it sometimes feels like

Offline Fixit

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
Re: honda generator EU2200i
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2019, 12:29:44 PM »
Do2200 puts out 2200 wages of 18.5 amps . So look at your tools at their amp draw and add a third for star t up surge .That's your answer . It should be yes they will run on it.

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2019, 02:02:40 PM »
It will run your drill and grinder, no problem.  I don’t think you’d ever regret owning that generator, it hits the sweet spot in terms of power, efficiency, noise, portability.

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2019, 06:24:01 PM »
2 problems with the Honda EU2000i

First is the price.  Second is it's hit or miss if it will run an RV A/C unit. 

I couldn't justify the $1000+ price, and it had to run my RV A/C, so I went with a Champion 3000 watt inverter generator.

But that is an awesome generator that will easily run your tools.  If all I needed it for is for inoculating logs, I'd go with battery powered tools.

Offline CarbideAndIron

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Steve
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2019, 02:02:03 PM »
Over all I love mine. It's insane how quiet it is, and light. I'm actually going to get a second one to run parallel so I have enough power to run the AC on our travel trailer.
The negative is that it's super picky about having old fuel in the carb. I ALWAYS have to run the carb dry or it won't restart easily. It's a common issue if it sits for more than a couple weeks.

I am eyeing this knockoff one. It's half the price, same specs, and great reviews so far.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07F6PDQP6/?coliid=IW4FRYHETYU0&colid=1JK209TE9KVKF&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

But at the end of the day, you'll love the Honda one. They are great units.

Offline Bradbn4

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2019, 03:00:56 PM »
The Honda is a bit pricey, and I would look hard at the 3k version for a/c on a RV.  There is nothing wrong with Honda when using non- ethanol gas.  The EU2200i is some mighty fine hardware, and used equipment don't last long on Craigslist.  When buying the second unit make sure it is one that lets you run both in tandem.

My first choice would be Yamaha for a somewhat better price point.

I would look at conversion to LP gas as one of the options if I was back on the farm.  It would be a basic tri- fuel setup to allow me to switch when I need to.  LP gas runs cleaner, and less chance for it to gum up the carbs between use. 

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2019, 05:39:06 PM »
I would look at conversion to LP gas as one of the options if I was back on the farm.  It would be a basic tri- fuel setup to allow me to switch when I need to.  LP gas runs cleaner, and less chance for it to gum up the carbs between use.
My Champion is a tri-fuel, but I've never run gasoline through it.  I want to be able to store it in the basement and I'm not doing that with anything that was filled with gasoline.

Before you do a propane conversion, check on the warranty.  A bunch of years ago I was looking at the Yamaha and there was a single shop that was authorized to make that conversion and retain the warranty.  I'm not sure, but I think that any conversion of the Honda voids the warranty, at least at that time.

Offline screwby

• Prepper
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2020, 08:10:40 PM »
The Honda is a bit pricey, and I would look hard at the 3k version for a/c on a RV.  There is nothing wrong with Honda when using non- ethanol gas.  The EU2200i is some mighty fine hardware, and used equipment don't last long on Craigslist.  When buying the second unit make sure it is one that lets you run both in tandem.

My first choice would be Yamaha for a somewhat better price point.

There is no need to go as large and spend another $1k for a 3000w Honda to run the RVs air conditioner.  Install a Micro-Air easy start kit on your air conditioner and an EU2200 will run it all day long and it’s much easier on the compressor on start up.  Also allows you to run your AC off of a standard 120v residential outlet because of the much lower power draw when the compressor kicks in.  It’s one of the best investments I’ve made on the camper aside from the solar and battery bank. 

Offline r_w

• Dedicated Contributor
  • On my way
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2020, 07:06:25 PM »
I bought a cordless angle grinder to do mushroom logs out in the woods. I will be adding a matching chainsaw next year as well.