Author Topic: Off-Grid Generator and Battery Bank to Large Homestead  (Read 632 times)

Offline terrjacl

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Off-Grid Generator and Battery Bank to Large Homestead
« on: December 30, 2019, 03:44:56 PM »
Hello all, I'm new to the forum and have already went and introduced myself on the front porch. Forgive me if I ask something dumb or that has already been asked. I need help to design a power system for my off-grid homestead. We are closing on the property in 2 weeks and will start building immediately. I wont need the complete power system until later obviously. We are doing the complete build ourselves. I'm not good with math and being around people anymore, but I can build damn near anything. We will start with a battery bank and generator. Later we will add solar panels to the system. I know going off-grid means we will have to change what and how we do things related to power consumption. Currently our monthly electric bill seems quite high and we will obviously have to lower our consumption. Our highest month this year was in May-June when we were at or over 100* almost everyday. We used 3,381kwh that month with the highest day using 232kwh. The months prior and after were 1400kwh and 1900kwh. It was definitely heat related. We also had issues with our A/C during that time and it ran continuously. Everything is currently electric, for the new setup we are going propane where possible (tankless propane water heaters, propane stove, propane heating, propane refrigerator, propane dryer). Everything else will be high efficiency electric. I have been looking at the Kohler 14kw propane generator. It is large I know, but I will provide everything and anything we need and will be trailer mounted for quick egress. We will have a permanent large propane tank (500-1000 gal). ideally we will run the generator only to charge the batteries and power the house while the batteries charge. I have read countless articles and how-to's about calculating the size of the battery bank and all that. It seems simple to most of you I'm sure, but I'm stupid when It comes to that stuff now. We don't need to store based on those numbers because of the propane items, and a properly functioning A/C. We are building a 3 bed 2 bath 2300sq/ft home. Pier and beam in the rocky Texas Hill Country. With the generator I mentioned, can I start with (10) 12v 200wh batteries? I know I need an inverter/charger. Any recommendations? How would you set it up for the generator to automatically kick on and off to charge the batteries and the house? Thank you for all of your wisdom. Semper Fi.

Offline Fyrediver

• Survivalist Mentor
Re: Off-Grid Generator and Battery Bank to Large Homestead
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2020, 08:24:43 PM »
Something to consider is air compressors, table saw, etc that you'll be using during construction.  Those'll have a higher startup power requirements.  Also, what about a pump for your well?  I think those have a high draw as well.

Very interested in what you're doing.  Trying to convince my wife to do the same and move to Texas from Washington in 3 years!