Author Topic: Coronavirus COVID-19 (a.k.a. 2019-nCoV) outbreak in China  (Read 24334 times)

Offline iam4liberty

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
Re: Coronavirus 2019-nCoV outbreak in China
« Reply #60 on: January 27, 2020, 09:53:42 AM »
Interesting aside is anecdotal reports that video game use and sales are through the roof as parents look for ways to keep quarantined children morale up.  Having some games on hand can definitely help with mental health in trying times.

Offline DrJohn

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
« Reply #61 on: January 27, 2020, 11:25:12 AM »
Okay, I guess that's bad news and good news.  Bad because it'll spread easier.  Good because maybe lots of infected people have no symptoms or mild symptoms, which means the death rate is lower than it currently appears.

I think the former not the latter.  If true, the virus can spread before an infected person becomes symptomatic, I don't think it has anything to do with milder symptoms.

Online FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #62 on: January 27, 2020, 11:57:31 PM »
The US evacuation plane may be coming to my neck of the woods, where they could remain isolated at the airport for 2 weeks.  My wife’s medical center was notified to prepare for treating coronavirus patients.

Wuhan-based Americans will be flown into Ontario International, and the airport has issued a statement: "Ontario International is an official repatriation center for the West Coast and has conducted extensive training in managing situations such as this. In the event that the returning passengers do arrive at ONT, preparations are being made to ensure that proper health, safety and security procedures are followed."

Online FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #63 on: January 28, 2020, 04:34:12 AM »
Russia and Hong Kong are severely limiting their border traffic with China. The US is now checking China arrivals from China at 20 airports.

Offline DrJohn

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
« Reply #64 on: January 28, 2020, 07:44:56 AM »
North Korea has closed its border with China.

Online Greekman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #65 on: January 28, 2020, 09:53:43 AM »
The US evacuation plane may be coming to my neck of the woods, where they could remain isolated at the airport for 2 weeks.  My wife’s medical center was notified to prepare for treating coronavirus patients.

isn't that somehow counter-intuitive? Unless screening all passengers before boarding, it is putting 200 healthy ones along with a sick one in an incubation chamber....

Now, this video seems legit.
talks about the Chinese New Year's craze that happened in the same time, and the lousy hygiene and sanitation in China, especially the street markets
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lk5XkhUKMDM
the short version
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLp8CHeKQkI

And here is a GORY video of one of these markets. Beware!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Zwf_zC_RZs

Offline iam4liberty

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #66 on: January 28, 2020, 10:28:20 AM »
The US is now checking China arrivals from China at 20 airports.

Even bigger is that US they put a level 3 warning for all of China.  Most companies have policies against employees traveling to places under level 3+.  So effectively business travel is stopped.  I am supposed to be there for a conference in early May so I hope this is well contained before then

Online FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #67 on: January 28, 2020, 11:16:10 AM »
I’m sure they’ll be screened as much as possible before boarding the plane, probably masks and bottles of hand sanitizer for everyone, too.  But, yeah, you have to the weigh the risks of catching the disease in the process of trying to escape the hot zone.  But the uncertainty is high with the epidemiology of this novel infection very much being derived on the fly.

Dr Fauci was quoted yesterday as horrified to hear in the media that non-symptomatic spread appears possible before the Chinese shared that with the world’s public health authorities. It makes a significant difference in screening and isolating suspected infections when you can’t rely on scanning foreheads for temperature.  He admitted they were more transparent than SARS, but they still are leaving a lot to be desired.

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #68 on: January 28, 2020, 11:47:47 AM »
I think that many are preparing for this even among the unprepared... it is already impossible to get facemasks on Amazon or many other medical supply websites (estimated delivery dates in March - when a date is even given). There are a few YT vids that are comparing this to the 1918 Spanish flu pandemic. My son pointed me to this one (by Dr. Martenson -- no idea is he is reputable or not, but getting a lot of hits): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTWZPGzvJIo

Offline surfivor

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #69 on: January 28, 2020, 11:56:29 AM »
I think that many are preparing for this even among the unprepared... it is already impossible to get facemasks on Amazon or many other medical supply websites (estimated delivery dates in March - when a date is even given). There are a few YT vids that are comparing this to the 1918 Spanish flu pandemic. My son pointed me to this one (by Dr. Martenson -- no idea is he is reputable or not, but getting a lot of hits): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTWZPGzvJIo

There are claims that some long term food suppliers are getting tons of orders. I just went to trader joes and bought 5 frozen pizzas, 4 or 5 boxes of cold cereral, all kinds of nuts, 6 boxes of mac n cheese and may go back again in a few days or even tomorrow depending on the news I am hearing. Today I just spent $142 on mostly non perishable dried foods. I have some stored food from 10+ years ago but I would not want to dig into that first thing without other options on top of it. Mostly I have rice, beans, peas, freeze dried, stuff from 10 years ago vacuum sealed etc. I've never checked it.

I just withdrew $300 from the bank to bolster cash reserves and will probably take out more later this week

The indicators for this flu event seem much different than some of a few years ago and is by far the worst I have seen. If at some point people panic, supplies will dry up fast.

Alex Jones claims there is a reverse thing going on. When there is a minor flu event like in Mexico years ago then they sound alarm bells but when there is a major threat like this one, then they downplay it.

How long can a flu event last I wonder ? They say there is a flu season but this flu seems very non typical. It's also because it is very contagious and it has a high fatality rate. Those two in combination are supposedly very rare as it's either one or the other but not both

https://www.nbcboston.com/news/local/2-people-from-nh-being-monitored-for-coronavirus/2068207/

Two people from New Hampshire who recently traveled to Wuhan, China, are being monitored for the new coronavirus, health officials announced Monday.

The two individuals had sought treatment after developing respiratory symptoms and are recovering, according to the New Hampshire Department of Health and Human Services.

The individuals will remain in isolation until lab results sent to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention come back.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2020, 12:10:03 PM by surfivor »

Offline David in MN

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #70 on: January 28, 2020, 12:55:55 PM »
People really panic. There's still a lot we don't know and let's be honest: The CDC has done a great job on this one with pretty darn near perfect containment and screening. Once we know what to prepare for I'm willing to bet it's normal flu stuff. Wash hands, don't touch face, plenty of fluids, report early, etc. I hate to say it but for all these outbreaks the best thing is buying gear afterward on the used market.

1918 almost can't be repeated. The confluence of events surrounding shipping men globally at the end of the war and a lack of protocol meant the globe just couldn't handle the disease. And it was an era where many kids shared a room and often kids shared a bed. Freelancer is right: Close proximity of large numbers of people and animals just isn't safe when it comes to pestilence. That's something every doctor, biologist, and statistician would agree on.

If you've got the basics down you've done all you can. Have a cup of tea and relax.

Offline Mr. Bill

• Like a hot cocoa mojito
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • Trained Attack Sheepdog/Troll hunter
    • Website Maintenance and Online Presence Management by Mr. Bill
« Reply #71 on: January 28, 2020, 01:00:18 PM »
Alex Jones claims there is a reverse thing going on. When there is a minor flu event like in Mexico years ago then they sound alarm bells but when there is a major threat like this one, then they downplay it.

How can this be considered downplaying?  Governments and agencies and researchers are falling all over themselves to Do Something, and you can't look at any news source without seeing half a dozen new stories about it.

Offline Carver

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #72 on: January 28, 2020, 02:02:11 PM »
Who is actually dying from this? Is it older, malnutritioned peasants living in squalor; or younger well-fed healthy ones?

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #73 on: January 28, 2020, 02:49:45 PM »

he is legit

Offline surfivor

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #74 on: January 28, 2020, 03:41:07 PM »
Food supplies are going to go bust .. I just ordered $100 worth of black bean mix and black bean soup from my patriot supply

https://nationalfile.com/exclusive-emergency-food-supply-company-says-coronavirus-sparks-unprecedented-orders-may-disrupt-supply/

Emergency Food Supply Company Says Coronavirus Sparks Unprecedented Orders, May Disrupt Supply
The president of My Patriot Supply told National File that Coronavirus sparked the industry's most orders in history.

Possibly underscoring the seriousness of the outbreak of Coronavirus that is quickly spreading through China, Asia, and beginning to trickle into Western countries, My Patriot Supply told National File that they are seeing the most interest in the company’s history, and that other emergency food supply companies are running out of inventory.
Keith Bansemer, President of My Patriot Supply, told National File that customers are quickly buying their inventory in the largest numbers in the country’s decade long history due to fears of Coronavirus disrupting the global food supply, or causing quarantines in the United States.

“There’s a lot of food storage being sold right now, and we’ve got three large warehouses,” said Bansemer. We’ve created the largest distribution structure to be able to deliver in two days, and since this news broke every day is larger than the day before. Today will be no exception, it’s a snowball effect.”

“We’re still shipping in two days, but we’re being cleared out quickly.”
« Last Edit: January 28, 2020, 03:57:10 PM by surfivor »

Online FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #75 on: January 28, 2020, 04:31:07 PM »
Found this on the plague plane and FEMA camp possibly coming to an airport near me:  Ontario Airport is a designated Repatriation Center and prepared for Wuhan, China flight

The U.S. government is chartering the flight carrying up to 240 American Citizens, including nine children that will first arrive in Alaska, where occupants will be examined by personnel from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

“No occupants who present symptoms of illness will be allowed to proceed into the continental United States. Upon arrival in the continental U.S., possibly ONT, aircraft occupants will again be screened by CDC personnel and monitored for up to two weeks,” stated a county of San Bernardino news release.

The Ontario Airport will proceed under normal operations during this period. A reception area and temporary living quarters will be established on the airport away from the passenger terminals and other public areas. Ontario police and other public safety personnel are prepared to ensure no unauthorized persons enter or exit the area.

Online FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #76 on: January 28, 2020, 11:45:26 PM »
The State Department is now diverting the plane to March Air Reserve Base, for "logistics" reasons.

Online FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #77 on: January 29, 2020, 12:05:06 AM »

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Geese Smuggling Moonbat
  • Survival Veteran
  • There are no mistakes, just Learning Experiences
« Reply #78 on: January 29, 2020, 06:11:47 AM »
This is best article I've seen thus far:  https://www.wsj.com/articles/what-we-know-about-the-wuhan-virus-11579716128?mod=hp_lead_pos3

paywall. 

My 18-yo son is panicked over this.  I spent a good 30 minutes on a Sunday drive trying to talk him down from the ledge; just after he was playing some pandemic game on his phone  ::) (like that is going to help your fear level!)
me, I suspect this is the news' latest "panic-hysteria-watch-us-for-ratings" emergency.  We did do a run through as a family of what we have, what we need, and what we would do if things got bad enough that we would want to quarantine ourselves for safety.  But there are a lot of reasons to not panic, and I am not going to live my life in fear.

Online FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #79 on: January 29, 2020, 08:45:07 AM »
paywall. 

Sorry, I can't find it anywhere else.

Online Greekman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #80 on: January 29, 2020, 08:47:35 AM »
I have a method that works for WSJ.

hit the link, go to website, and copy the article title.
Google the title. and visit the website through this link.
presto the article in full...

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Geese Smuggling Moonbat
  • Survival Veteran
  • There are no mistakes, just Learning Experiences
« Reply #81 on: January 29, 2020, 08:51:30 AM »
Sorry, I can't find it anywhere else.

no worries.  That is my bad - I cannot fault them for wanting to be paid, and it is not worth it to me to pay for an article or two a year.

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #82 on: January 29, 2020, 09:01:27 AM »

I'll try that.  8)

Offline nano.

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #83 on: January 29, 2020, 09:03:28 AM »

hot damn - that worked good! =D

Offline iam4liberty

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #84 on: January 29, 2020, 09:54:43 AM »
Come on, Canada!

https://torontosun.com/news/local-news/warmington-thousands-unchecked-for-coronavirus-at-pearson
WARMINGTON: No medical screening for arrivals from three China flights

Just like that, more than 1,000 people on three flights from China walked into Canada without medical screening.

If the coronavirus happens to be incubating in any one of those passengers who arrived at Pearson International Airport’s Terminal 3 on Monday, they are now mingling with Canadian residents.

“I was asked when we got to the Canada Custom’s inspection point if I had been in Wuhan in the past 14 days or if I had a fever,” said Jerry, who with his wife, travelled from Shanghai. “I said no.”

That one-word answer got him through.

First stop before heading home to Oakville was a place to eat. After 14 hours in the air without a bite, they were famished.

“I didn’t eat for the whole flight,” said Jerry’s wife, Te. “I kept my mask on the whole time.”

Many passengers said they didn’t want to take a chance of exposing their mouths to the virus.
Passengers talked of hearing about sick people in China who perished at the hands of the coronavirus but were oblivious to reports that up to 19 in Ontario may have been exposed.

The big question: Was anybody on these flights a carrier?

All nice people. Many visiting. Many residents.

But Canada is taking a big gamble. Those coming from China reported they did not see doctors, nurses or undergo any medical screening upon their arrival at Pearson.

Their entry is, in essence, based on a wing and a prayer.

Offline surfivor

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #85 on: January 29, 2020, 10:44:43 AM »
Come on, Canada!

https://torontosun.com/news/local-news/warmington-thousands-unchecked-for-coronavirus-at-pearson
WARMINGTON: No medical screening for arrivals from three China flights

Just like that, more than 1,000 people on three flights from China walked into Canada without medical screening.

If the coronavirus happens to be incubating in any one of those passengers who arrived at Pearson International Airport’s Terminal 3 on Monday, they are now mingling with Canadian residents.

“I was asked when we got to the Canada Custom’s inspection point if I had been in Wuhan in the past 14 days or if I had a fever,” said Jerry, who with his wife, travelled from Shanghai. “I said no.”

That one-word answer got him through.

First stop before heading home to Oakville was a place to eat. After 14 hours in the air without a bite, they were famished.

“I didn’t eat for the whole flight,” said Jerry’s wife, Te. “I kept my mask on the whole time.”

Many passengers said they didn’t want to take a chance of exposing their mouths to the virus.
Passengers talked of hearing about sick people in China who perished at the hands of the coronavirus but were oblivious to reports that up to 19 in Ontario may have been exposed.

The big question: Was anybody on these flights a carrier?

All nice people. Many visiting. Many residents.

But Canada is taking a big gamble. Those coming from China reported they did not see doctors, nurses or undergo any medical screening upon their arrival at Pearson.

Their entry is, in essence, based on a wing and a prayer.

I have heard that there is a ton of travel of students and others from China to the US.

I really like the bible study at a local Chinese church. I like the way the Chinese approach the bible in kind of a less dogmatic way but still from a conservative viewpoint. I am concerned however as it is a big church with lots of people and no doubt there are people there going back and forth to China, Hong Kong, Tawain etc. I would like to go back the the bible study especially in the winter but I have been having some doubts about it ..

Offline surfivor

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #86 on: January 29, 2020, 11:59:27 AM »
Alex Jones was taking calls from people in WuHan China effected by the quarantine apparently. What a novel idea, no one else doing that ?

He also mentioned nano silver product and so I did a search, although no doubt anything that is not mainstream medicine would be heavily demonized. Supposedly Corona virus has some similarities with sars

https://www.hindawi.com/journals/amse/2014/371483/

NewsEdge, “University study shows ionic silver effective against SARS; supports previous research findings on SARS virus,” in BioPortfilio by AgION Technologies, 2005.

Offline DDJ

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #87 on: January 30, 2020, 05:24:43 AM »
I know this is off the medical side but another facet of this will start soon.

At work yesterday I was informed that China has extended the Chinese New Year holiday by a week.  We are starting to look at the effect that Chinese suppliers not delivering will be causing.  So the virus outbreak is moving into economical/financial impact zone.  World wide just in time is now affected.  US manufacturing will see an impact at some point.

Offline iam4liberty

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #88 on: January 30, 2020, 06:51:19 AM »
Top trending video right now:

https://youtu.be/A4qwCWwC-Oo
Coronavirus: Doctor explains the proper way to wash your hands and put on a face mask