Author Topic: SHOT 2020: Umarex's AirJavelin  (Read 700 times)

Offline Carver

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member

Offline IKN

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
Re: SHOT 2020: Umarex's AirJavelin
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2020, 10:11:48 AM »
I'd have to see more test results and/or data about it to consider one.
The possible issues I see stem from the fact it used the small CO2 cartridges for a propellant.
Not a complete deal breaker, but CO2 pressure can fluctuate a lot dependent on temperature. For instance, at 75 deg. F, CO2 pressure will be in the 900 psig range, but at 32 deg. F, it's closer to 480 psig.
Depending on how the firing pressure is controlled/regulated, this can have a huge effect on arrow velocity and gas usage. If it uses a pressure regulator, the firing pressure (and thus velocity) will be fairly consistent, but CO2 usage will be a lot more at lower temperatures. Even with a designed, regulated pressure, if it's higher than the saturation pressure for a given temperature, it will never achieve that pressure and, thus, not attain the design velocity.

If you wish to understand this more, just Google CO2 saturation pressure/temperature or CO2 temperature pressure graph/chart.

Offline Carver

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2020, 09:28:39 PM »
I believe it is more accurate to say this shoots darts and not arrows.

Offline IKN

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2020, 09:09:03 AM »
Maybe so, but their site even calls them Arrows.
https://www.umarexusa.com/umarex-airjavelin-air-archery-arrows-with-field-tips-6-pack

Regardless, I'm not finding enough info on it to verify how it regulates the CO2.
I'm not saying it isn't a good option, but my point of how ambient temperature effects CO2 pressure is valid and could and thus accuracy and power.
Not a big deal over short ranges, but could have major impact in longer distances depending on use.

Offline Carver

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2020, 10:26:05 AM »
Yep, this video clearly shows that they are arrows. https://youtu.be/72S-DCdHA2g
333' FPS to 320' after 3 shots. And they do mention air temperature as a factor.

Offline iam4liberty

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2020, 10:54:39 AM »
Umarex is owned by same company as Walther (PW Group).  This innovation is happening because of strict German laws on firearms.  Firearms are heavily regulated there but compressed air arrows are considered similar to toys. They even have self defense pistols which are air powered.  There is tons of information on them and their hunting and self defense uses.

In the US, it really started to gain popularity with the Benjamin Pioneer Airbow:

https://youtu.be/1u4N2Hh_PnU

The use of CO2 cartridges as in the airjavelin is just starting.  The three main benefits are cost, ease of charging, and reduced weight   The airjavelin uses a manifold/reserved tank system, not just direct from CO2 cartridge.  So it has some temperature protection.  But, if one is trying to take quick multiples on a cold day, some type of warming would be highly beneficial like a hand warmer.

We can expect a lot of reviews coming out as first units just shipped.