Author Topic: 10 Things I Wish I Had Known About Food Storage 10 Years Ago  (Read 20388 times)

Offline PhilA

• Fledgling Prepper
Re: 10 Things I Wish I Had Known About Food Storage 10 Years Ago
« Reply #30 on: August 06, 2009, 02:14:10 PM »
The idea of the wax was to complete cover the body of the cheese. I think the wax paper would leave some air gaps. A Food Saver vacuum bag would probably still leave a residual bit of air, so maybe tucking in an oxygen absorber too.

Let us know how it goes!

Ah, gotcha. Just did a good bit more research on waxing technique, and it does indeed mention the need for an intimate bond between cheese and wax. So wax it is. Thanks for pointing out the residual air problem.

Offline CarlD

• Prepper
« Reply #31 on: August 19, 2009, 09:00:28 PM »
Buy Freeze dried (Mountain House)  with a 25 year shelf life and taste like home cooked when fixed instead of buying MRE's with 7 or 8 year shelf life that generally taste like crap.

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #32 on: August 20, 2009, 08:13:45 AM »
Wensleydale or Stinking Bishop?

Wensleydale... definitely wensleydale.

... The kit makes a good basic mozzarella. I ordered it and have used up about half of my supplies.. When I make cheese it does not last long...

I got my mozarella kit and tried it out. it didn't seem to form terribly firm curds in the initial stage (and I really didn't touch it or disturb it in any way until the timer went off -- even left it a couple extra minutes when I saw that it wasn't very firm) and after I finished up and was stretching it and removing the whey... it never really got a nice firm texture. In fact, as it sat in the refrigerator, it has softened up to the point of being runny... any ideas about this? I need to try again, but am wondering what I need to do to make the results better.

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #33 on: August 20, 2009, 10:52:08 AM »
I got my mozarella kit and tried it out. it didn't seem to form terribly firm curds in the initial stage (and I really didn't touch it or disturb it in any way until the timer went off -- even left it a couple extra minutes when I saw that it wasn't very firm) and after I finished up and was stretching it and removing the whey... it never really got a nice firm texture. In fact, as it sat in the refrigerator, it has softened up to the point of being runny... any ideas about this? I need to try again, but am wondering what I need to do to make the results better.
Hello lvschant,
 Some questons
-was the milk fresh?
-what brand was the milk?
-sounds like you let it sit w/o disturbing it, that's good. i found out the hard way too much stirring causes it to fail.
-how many times did you stretch it? i am finding i need to heat/stretch it about 8-10 times before it gets to where I want it.

Have you seen my post on my mozzarella making experiences? Link is below in case you have not. It take a while to develop a 'feel' for it and I've not done that yet.
http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=6154.0

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #34 on: August 20, 2009, 12:23:22 PM »
Aha!  Heat/stretch multiple times... I did not do that multiple times... just the once... probably didn't read the instructions carefully enough. I'll re-visit your mozarella forum post. I had read it awhile back (and should have done it again before attempting this)...

The milk was not ultra pasteurized and was whole milk. Fresh from the store... I think with the multiple iterations of heat/stretch, I may have it next time!

Thanks!

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • #ImissAmerica
« Reply #35 on: August 20, 2009, 12:53:38 PM »
Aha!  Heat/stretch multiple times... I did not do that multiple times... just the once... probably didn't read the instructions carefully enough. I'll re-visit your mozzarella forum post. I had read it awhile back (and should have done it again before attempting this)...

The milk was not ultra pasteurized and was whole milk. Fresh from the store... I think with the multiple iterations of heat/stretch, I may have it next time!
If you only do it once, no go. That is the culprit I'd say. Good luck!

Offline TNDadx4

• Survivor
  • Country roads, take me home To the place I belong.
« Reply #36 on: August 25, 2009, 09:24:10 AM »
Hi all. Long time listener...first time caller.

Regarding cheese storage: Instead of waxing, what if I wrapped a block of cheese in wax paper, then vaccuum sealed it in a FoodSaver bag? Do you think it would keep just as well as waxing?

Thanks in advance.

It could work, but from what I've read, not as well. Waxing is the method that's been used for many years. It seals air and moisture. You also need to be able to keep it in a cool place like a root cellar, etc.

sarahluker

« Reply #37 on: August 25, 2009, 11:57:41 AM »
Have you guys thought about dividing your cheese into small portions, kind of like baby bel, and then putting the wax on.  If you don't have refrigeration smaller portions may be used more quickly and you wont lose a large piece.

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • #ImissAmerica
« Reply #38 on: August 26, 2009, 03:42:41 PM »
Have you guys thought about dividing your cheese into small portions, kind of like baby bel, and then putting the wax on.  If you don't have refrigeration smaller portions may be used more quickly and you wont lose a large piece.
Good idea, if it goes bad, you only loose a small piece of it, not all of it.

Greenhorn

« Reply #39 on: September 12, 2009, 09:47:53 PM »
Do you think this (cheese wax) would work somewhere that's always around 80 degrees w/ 50% humidity?  It mentions hanging it in a cool & dry place, which we don't have much of here in Hawaii.

Everything turns out different when it comes to food storage living on a tropical island...

Yeah, I know, poor me...

Offline HelenWheels

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Hooah!
« Reply #40 on: September 12, 2009, 10:15:47 PM »
Do you think this (cheese wax) would work somewhere that's always around 80 degrees w/ 50% humidity?  It mentions hanging it in a cool & dry place, which we don't have much of here in Hawaii.

Everything turns out different when it comes to food storage living on a tropical island...

Yeah, I know, poor me...

I'm definitely not a cheese expert but you may need to consider salting/brining or smoking the cheese before you wax it. Perhaps even add vacuum seal it after waxing.

I was trying to think how the preserved cheese in other places with similar clilmates - maybe like Greece?

Scipio

« Reply #41 on: September 16, 2009, 08:23:38 PM »
I'm definitely not a cheese expert but you may need to consider salting/brining or smoking the cheese before you wax it. Perhaps even add vacuum seal it after waxing.

I was trying to think how the preserved cheese in other places with similar clilmates - maybe like Greece?

I'm not a cheese expert either, but I have been doing a lot of research.  The salting/brining and smoking is a great idea, for taste as much as the preservation aspect.  Also, if there is some mold already on the cheese, don't worry, just clean it off with some salt water or vinegar before waxing. 

Vacuum sealing after waxing is not a good idea, as the wax actually allows the cheese to breathe.  Anyway, waxing alone is more than enough.  Not only with the cheese be edible after years of storage, it will probably just get better and better.  (Check out the price of a five year gouda on any gourmet website! - $14 a pound and worth it!)

Some Greek cheeses are pickled in a salt water brine.  That works well with semi-soft cheeses like Feta.

Another option is storing cheese in wine, like Ubracio.  (Tastes pretty awesome too.)

Just remember, our ancestors were storing milk for ages by making it into cheese.  No need to reinvent that wheel.  Make it, wax it, store it and enjoy it!

Offline ZedHead

• Prepper
« Reply #42 on: October 11, 2009, 05:55:59 PM »
Good post! Thanks for the info.

Offline smittymojoe

• Prepper
« Reply #43 on: October 11, 2009, 06:15:15 PM »
Missed this post the first time around. +1 to you Kilgor.

smitty

Offline ZUPIII

• Prepper
« Reply #44 on: October 14, 2009, 08:53:03 PM »
WOW! This is awesome, I just copied & printed it and it is now a permanent fixture on our fridge. Thank you!!!!

Offline Kilgor

• Senior Survivalist
    • Gardening and critter raising in the backyard.
« Reply #45 on: February 01, 2010, 12:43:54 PM »
For those that missed it.

Offline leakfinder

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #46 on: February 22, 2010, 12:29:24 PM »
Ok.  for the Do-it-yourselfer....  How to make your own cheese wax:

http://www.ehow.com/how_5798842_make-cheese-wax.html

-lf

Offline phobos

• Prepper
« Reply #47 on: April 25, 2010, 05:06:54 PM »
How do you do number 9 and back in Mason jar. That look real cool.

Thox Spuddy

« Reply #48 on: April 25, 2010, 05:18:58 PM »
So I've been vacuum sealing cheese and it works great, what's wrong with that?