Author Topic: Breaking in  (Read 377 times)

Offline POCKETS

• Prepper
Breaking in
« on: February 15, 2020, 11:16:38 AM »
Greetings!
I have a Kimber Ultra 9mm and I would like to know how to break it in? I have heard that 500 rounds out the barrel would do it and that locking the slide back for a week or so would also do the job.
Any help is greatly appreciated since I like shooting my Kimber.
Pockets

Offline David in MN

• Survival Demonstrator
Re: Breaking in
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2020, 12:10:59 PM »
I own a Kimber Goldmatch 1911. From my experience Kimber pistols are very sensitive to "break in" and very picky about magazines. I'm not saying they are bad guns but they have really tight tolerances for production.

Dry fire is your friend. About 500 rounds was what it took to not have malfunctions in my Kimber. Also keep it lubed well. Painting with a broad brush Kimbers need to be a little on the wet side.

That's been my experience and I think you will love the gun as Kimber makes good products but be aware that you're running an Astin Martin DB12 and not a Chevy pickup. It's not going to be as forgiving as a Glock/S&W/ Springfield Tupperware gun. But if you do a break-in and find the right ammo and mags you'll be in love.

I think you're doing everything right. You're playing the hard game that Kimber/HK/CZ/Korth owners play but once you loosen it up and have dependable mags it'll be a real gem.

Offline armymars

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
Re: Breaking in
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2020, 09:44:53 AM »
I had a friend meet me at the range with his new Kimber. It started to jam on the first magazine. I asked him if he lubed it yet and he said no. I added a few drops of Rem oil to the slide rails and all was good after that. I like to clean the gun after every 25 rounds or so during break in. Relubing after each cleaning. More often on rifles.