Author Topic: Help, can't understand my new oven!  (Read 3019 times)

Offline Gamer

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
Help, can't understand my new oven!
« on: February 20, 2020, 08:51:17 PM »
Hi, look, there are two hotplates (hobs) on top of it, the 2nd dial down on the control panel controls the lefthand hob, and the 3rd dial controls the righthand hob.
I've twiddled dials 2 and 3 and the hobs get hot just fine.
So what on earth is the 1st dial (at the top) for? It's marked 'Hotplate' but what does it actually DO?
(The manual is not much help)
Thanks

Offline Mr. Bill

• Like a hot cocoa mojito
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • Trained Attack Sheepdog/Troll hunter
    • Website Maintenance and Online Presence Management by Mr. Bill
Re: Help, can't understand my new oven!
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2020, 09:00:45 PM »
Okay, that's the worst user interface I've seen in at least 2 days. 8)

You want my guess?  The little labels "HOT PLATE" and "OVEN" are for the red lights, not for the knobs.

And then, the top knob is oven temperature, knobs #2 and #3 are left and right hot plate temperature, and the bottom knob is... um... the FUNCTION knob, I think.  And all you have to do is figure out which functions those 6 little icons refer to.

Offline Greekman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2020, 12:16:01 AM »
these ovens are very common over here in Europe and we have one like it.
What MrBill said.

As for the rest?  I cannot tell all the markings from your pic, but since it has a rotisserie, I would say that horizontal lines signify heating element on top or bellow and the mark in the center rotisserie use.
Quite positively the marking on the bottom is for up and bottom oven heating only.

Offline LeonardMaine

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2020, 03:34:54 AM »
Never in my life have I seen something to confuse me so much. I have no idea what it's supposed to mean, so intricate, but why?

Offline Carver

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2020, 08:25:33 AM »
functions: reheat, keep warm, bake, roast, rotisserie, broil etc?

Offline David in MN

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2020, 12:51:08 PM »
https://www.amazon.com/Quarts-Kitchen-Convection-Oven-Countertop/dp/B01JIBOA7U/ref=asc_df_B01JIBOA7U/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=167141308073&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=10584673202822808198&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9019583&hvtargid=pla-312001022138&psc=1

"Ability to Cook, Bake, Grill, Broil, Roast & Toast"

You should be able to do all that and rotisserie so setting the temperature would have no effect on the toast or broil functions. It's there for the other functions.

Better than some of the Italian interfaces I've used but that's pretty bad.

Offline Gamer

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2020, 09:20:06 PM »
Thanks people, with your help and trial and error I've worked it out ;D
I mistakenly thought the word "Hotplate" referred to the top dial, but in fact it refers only to the red light that comes on when the hotplates are on..:D

As regards the bottom dial, yes that's the oven settings, the icons on it are explained in the manual, for example yesterday I did myself some chips and fish fingers in the oven using the "Upper and lower heating elements" setting and they came out fine.

However there's another setting I don't understand, namely the "Upper and lower heating elements with fan assist" setting
Stupid question time- What does the fan do exactly, what's it FOR and why should I want to use it? :-\

Offline Carver

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2020, 09:52:56 PM »
However there's another setting I don't understand, namely the "Upper and lower heating elements with fan assist" setting
Stupid question time- What does the fan do exactly, what's it FOR and why should I want to use it? :-\

That would be what is known as a convection oven setting. It will heat up faster at a lower temperature.

Offline iam4liberty

• Survival Veteran
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2020, 10:05:55 PM »
 :o My guess is that this is the prototype for the one in the International Space Station. May need to call flight control...

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/space-no-one-can-hear-you-nom-space-station-getting-cookie-baking-oven-1-180973455/
With a ‘Zero G’ Oven, Astronauts Can Have Their Cookies, but They Can’t Eat Them Too

Offline Greekman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2020, 12:48:03 AM »

is there a fan showing, or even a air grill, in your oven?
It does not look like so form the pic.

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2020, 01:09:14 PM »
Convection (fan) cooking is quite nice... heats evenly and shortens cook time. We have a combo microwave / convection cook oven in our little guesthouse. I quite like baking with the convection cycle... just like an oven nearly. There was really no need for a full oven here in this small space, so we have a two-burner cooktop and this combination oven with vent fan above the cooktop.

Offline Gamer

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2020, 07:59:15 AM »
is there a fan showing, or even a air grill, in your oven?
It does not look like so form the pic.

Convection (fan) cooking is quite nice... heats evenly and shortens cook time.

Yes there's a fan in my oven, it whirrs into action when I select "fan assist".
But I'm puzzled why I've also got the option to cook without the fan?
I mean, if cooking is better with the fan, why on earth should I ever want to cook without the fan?

Offline iam4liberty

• Survival Veteran
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2020, 01:09:23 PM »
Yes there's a fan in my oven, it whirrs into action when I select "fan assist".
But I'm puzzled why I've also got the option to cook without the fan?
I mean, if cooking is better with the fan, why on earth should I ever want to cook without the fan?

For some cuts of meats a fan can dry out and burn surface.  So you have choice to turn off fan or lower temperature in these circumstances.

Offline Greekman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2020, 03:08:46 PM »
a fan will also dry out pizza ingredients

Offline Gamer

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2020, 10:37:08 AM »
Thanks, well it seems the safe bet is to never use the fan in case it burns the food. I mean, I don't want to find my food has been turned into an expensive shrivelled dry lump..

Offline Carver

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2020, 11:43:47 AM »
Thanks, well it seems the safe bet is to never use the fan in case it burns the food. I mean, I don't want to find my food has been turned into an expensive shriveled dry lump..

Convection setting is typically what I use for reheating like a bratwurst as I don't like what a microwave does. at 300f for 10-15 minutes it heats up thoroughly and stays juicy. Pancakes are good that way also. The dehydrator mode is actually convection at high speed at 165f for 12 hours. French fries are done at super convection for 20 minutes at 400f, no oil is used.

Offline Greekman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2020, 01:21:30 PM »
Thanks, well it seems the safe bet is to never use the fan in case it burns the food. I mean, I don't want to find my food has been turned into an expensive shrivelled dry lump..

well after an almost costly mistake i found out that air baking -towards the end of cooking- makes a nice crust on meatloafs etc

Offline Gamer

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2020, 03:12:47 AM »
Thanks everybody, this cooking lark is far more complicated than I thought; I should have got married years ago so she could have the kitchen as her little kingdom.. ::)

Offline Redman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Lost in the 50's
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2020, 06:36:23 AM »
Thanks everybody, this cooking lark is far more complicated than I thought; I should have got married years ago so she could have the kitchen as her little kingdom.. ::)

:rofl: :rofl:

Just following the thread here. I know nothing about convection cooking but am I think a better cook than my wife. She thinks so too, sometimes.  ;)

Offline Gamer

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2020, 05:50:02 PM »
Thanks everybody, and can I toss another question into the playpen, namely what exactly does the vague instruction "Preheat Oven" mean on various food cartons and wrappings?
The instructions don't tell me two essential things-
1- At what temperature setting should the oven be preheated on, full blast or what?
2- For how long should it be left to preheat, 5 minutes, 10, 15 or more before putting the food in it?

In fact why are there any preheat requirements at all, why can't we just put our food into a cold oven and then switch it on and add about 5 mins to the suggested cooking time to take into account the fact we haven't preheated?

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2020, 05:58:56 PM »
yes, for many items you can just put it in and let it heat up and add extra time.  casaroles, baked beans or frozen meals, for example, you can do this. 

But, for baked goods, the oven needs to be at the baking temperature before you put the food in.  SO, you turn the oven on while you mix up the cake.  It is the first thing you do.  You set the temperature to the baking temperature, for example, 350'F.  How do you know when to put the food in ?  Well, usually the oven has a light or some indicator that tells you it has reached the temp., my toaster oven beeps once when it has reached the temp. In my big oven, since the thermostat is a bit off, I have a dial thermometer in there so I can check. 

Offline Greekman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2020, 01:00:11 AM »
what MM said...
The oven is the same thing that Jack has talked with chef Snow....Professional cuisines have very powerful cooking appliances cos when you place the pot/pan on top the performance/temperature drops cos the food&pot draw too much calories to heat up. That just prolongs the cooking time.
But the reason doughs etc need preheating is that the hotter the oven, the lower the pressure is. that helps doughs raise.

Offline Greekman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2020, 01:34:48 AM »
BTW an added benefit to a convection oven is that you can cook more than one pan...

https://www.nigella.com/ask/baking-on-multiple-racks

Offline Gamer

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2020, 07:53:46 AM »
Thanks muchachos, like I said this cooking business is more complicated than I thought.. :-\
For example something else has just come up- I recently bought a couple of loaves of bread and popped them in the fridge so they'd keep longer, but now I've seen on the net that putting bread in the fridge is the worst thing you can do because it makes it go off quicker, groan...

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2020, 10:16:17 AM »
Thanks muchachos, like I said this cooking business is more complicated than I thought.. :-\
For example something else has just come up- I recently bought a couple of loaves of bread and popped them in the fridge so they'd keep longer, but now I've seen on the net that putting bread in the fridge is the worst thing you can do because it makes it go off quicker, groan...

Put the sliced bread in the freezer, then just take out 2 frozen slices when you go to make a sandwich, set them on a plate seperate for a short time, while you putter around the kitchen, make your sandwich,  For some breads, it thaws all the way by the time you finish construting your sandwich.  Obviously, the slices can also go straight from freezer to toaster ( or toaster oven) for your morning toast.

If bread is in a freezer too long, it can get freezer burn, but generally I think most people use it in time. Beats leaving it on the counter to mold.  And, even the refrigerator will keep it from molding compared to on the counter.  Of course, the best tasting bread is never cooled by either and eaten right away, but a single person at home isnt going thru it fast enough in most cases.  So, for in the freeser, use a twist tie or better double twist tie to keep more air out of the bag.  If you bought an extra loaf, put a second bread bag ( the one you saved from a previous loaf, you save those, right ? ) over the first, and again twist tie the opening, so it is double bagged, this will keep it longer.

Offline Greekman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2020, 10:57:32 AM »
and after being thawed, through it in the convection oven for a while. it will become fresh-like

BTW, I store my loafs the way mountainmoma said..

Offline Gamer

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2020, 10:42:20 AM »
Thanks everybody, I'm saving your sage advice in my files.. ;D

A couple more points-
1- I know you told me earlier that fan-assisted oven cooking is better than non-fan because it's more efficient, so why do cooking instructions on the wrappers give us a choice of fan-assisted or non-fan?
I mean, why on earth would we want to use non-fan if it's less efficient?
PS- You also told me that some foods don't like fans because they might get scorched or something, but how do we know which food types they are; will it say on the wrapper "don't use fan"?

2- In the event of an apocalyptic longterm power failure, can we eat food cold straight out of the cans, or will it upset our tummies?
And are there are types of food that we definitely should NOT eat cold and uncooked such as sausages or bacon etc for the same reason? 

Offline Gamer

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2020, 05:03:56 AM »
Another problem I've run into is that standard 400g cans of food are too big for me! (Irish stew, Stewed steak, Minced beef, fruit etc).
That means my tummy is quite comfortable with eating only half the can, so I have to put the can containing the other half in the fridge to eat another day, but it says on the can that "Once opened, consume contents within 2/3 days"
Problem is I usually don't want to consume the rest for another week or so!
Is there any way to extend its life to say 7 days or more?
Ideally, small 200g cans would be great for me but most stuff comes in 400g's.

Offline Redman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Lost in the 50's
« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2020, 05:59:57 AM »
Try to find a plastic cover to fit the can. Not sure the diameter of your cans, I changed region to UK on Amazon and found these.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=lid+for+400+g+can&ref=nb_sb_noss