Author Topic: Preparing for the inevitable outbreak  (Read 7060 times)

Offline BillyS

• Survivalist Mentor
  • TSP Forum member
    • Scarydad
Preparing for the inevitable outbreak
« on: February 25, 2020, 08:18:55 PM »
Well, today they said we should prepare for the worst and that it was a matter of when and not if.

I am not someone who overreacts or panics. I live in Hurricane Alley and have been following this forum for years. And as it happened, around Thanksgiving, Home Depot had mega packs of the 3M facemasks on sale and I have a lot of hobbies so I stocked up and now I have a bunch.

Headed out to the store(s) tomorrow to shore up the preps just to feel better about things. As I inventory stuff, I'm pretty good on food, could probably use a case or two extra of water, and I'm probably going to go heavy with TP and paper towels. Everything else I can think of revolves around entertaining the kids and waiting out a quarantine or shelter in place order for a while-- games for the kids, booze, jigsaw puzzles, etc.

Anything I may be missing?

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
Re: Preparing for the inevitable outbreak
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2020, 10:25:32 PM »
I'm able to complete 95% of my consulting business from home via telecommuting, but I also spend a couple days per week in a secure office setting doing similar work for an employer that currently restricts me from accessing files from home.  Tomorrow I'm going to bring that up and push for an IT solution that will allow me to work from home.  There's HIPPA compliance and other legal issues to worry about, but it's not an insurmountable problem, and it's easier to tackle now than it may be in the future.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2020, 10:46:48 PM by FreeLancer »

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2020, 10:53:40 PM »
-- games for the kids, booze, jigsaw puzzles, etc.

I'm going to pick up a few cases tomorrow at Costco, along with beans, rice, cheese, dog food, and the Energizer Lithium Ultimate AA's they currently have in stock.

Make sure you're at least 30 days ahead on any Rx medications, too.  Pharmacies are going to be loaded with sick people when this pandemic kicks off.

Offline ChEng

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Chief Engineer
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2020, 04:16:28 AM »
... Tomorrow I'm going to bring that up and push for an IT solution that will allow me to work from home. There's HIPPA compliance and other legal issues to worry about, but it's not an insurmountable problem, ...
I used to work for the local Blue Cross/Blue Shield carrier here. We were heavily HIPPA oriented, but they did allow working from home, so it can be done. What we did though, was to allow only company-provided/ company equipped computers (so they had only company-approved, HIPPA-cleared software.) Then the employee connected to the company network through VPN, which provided plenty enough security for HIPPA.

If you work with a small company, check into OpenVNC. Try to show your boss that it has strong enough security to cover HIPPA requirements. If it is a large enough company, then it probably already has VPN set up.

Offline David in MN

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2020, 06:15:56 AM »
I did a little assessment of the things I like to have when I am sick. I'm assuming supply of OTC fever/pain meds, cough syrup, cough drops, etc. might be tight so I stocked up.

Otherwise I got some "stuff I can choke down" foods. When I'm really in the throes sometimes it's all I can do to drink an Ensure or Musclemilk just to get calories and vitamins.

Otherwise food and distraction go hand in hand if you're bugging in. Have a few pantry staples to make chocolate chip cookies or a Key Lime pie with the kids. It's a good time to dig out the cookbooks and (assuming you have some basics) make some treats.

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Geese Smuggling Moonbat
  • Survival Veteran
  • There are no mistakes, just Learning Experiences
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2020, 06:42:01 AM »
I'm going to pick up a few cases tomorrow at Costco, along with beans, rice, cheese, dog food, and the Energizer Lithium Ultimate AA's they currently have in stock.

Make sure you're at least 30 days ahead on any Rx medications, too.  Pharmacies are going to be loaded with sick people when this pandemic kicks off.

my husband already works from home, and we homeschool the kids, so that is taken care of.  My concern becomes what about the jobs that are necessary but cannot be done from home... like maintaining the power grid.  If that goes out, all of us set up to work - or self-quarantine - from home cannot.

our food situation is good.  We can mostly continue as we have been with school and work.  I would miss fresh produce (and eventually frozen) and eggs, but we could survive for a few months on what we have here.

I guess I wonder how long we would have to stay here... and how soon our friends from the city would try to join us :/

Offline BillyS

• Survivalist Mentor
  • TSP Forum member
    • Scarydad
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2020, 07:29:34 AM »
Well, I hit the store this morning and it was fully stocked but the curbside carts were full of water, canned goods, and stuff like that. I basically did a double on a regular grocery run, as I've already got quite a bit put back.

I know everyone is worried about their jobs and that is a valid concern. My only thought is, when this hits, we're all in this together. When the CDC gives pandemic orders, there aren't going to be any balls-out bosses forcing people to come into the office. The companies are going to have to be flexible or they're going to have serious problems. Here in Houston, there have been companies that forced or tried to force people to brave deadly floodwaters to come in, people have died, and those organizations and some individuals have been sued into oblivion. At the end, when Captain Tripps is in the air, nobody cares about your action item list, nor should they.

And I'm not playing this up to apocalyptic levels. I think that it's prudent to be cautious and to prepare. Unfortunately, there are some jobs that will require all hands on deck to keep power and water and such on. But hopefully, that will only be the crew that physically works on the equipment and in those cases, those guys aren't cooped up in an office with a bunch of other people. Hopefully, the office admin people can telecommute.

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2020, 07:45:50 AM »
I should probably be more concerned about being press-ganged into patient care if this really kicks off.

Offline DDJ

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2020, 10:53:13 AM »
I have an electrician sending a crew in next week to rewire my house including making some outlets on a generator circuit for a generator I already have.  We are also increasing our garden and with luck the weather will allow for an early start.  We started stocking up on TP and fascial tissue.  We have reviewed our pantry lots of chicken and chicken soup (ethnic penicillin) thanks to culling roosters in December.

Is anyone else thinking of "what to do to preserve my money so I can be unemployed for X amount of time"?  I have always thought that the advise to have enough silver tucked away to pay your taxes for X time was a great idea when there is the infamous "extra money".  We have some but not the 2 or 3 years worth that I saw recommended. 

Offline D Haught

• Prepper
    • eBusiness beginner
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2020, 09:58:52 PM »
Some of the freaking out has already started. I went to the Mountain House site just to see and they had a banner up suspending order taking due to increased volume. All the people that could just buy some extra groceries and have probably never eaten freeze dried meals are stocking up for the apocalypse with cases of stuff they'll probably not like eating and likely won't need.
I keep some bags of that stuff for camping trips but I've not gotten into collecting it.

Nobody around my area seems to be remotely concerned about this thing so I'm just bumping up our normal grocery buys and buying some extra dog food.

I for one think the panic will cause problems in areas where outbreaks occur but I do not think that a lot of people overall will actually die from the illness.

Offline BillyS

• Survivalist Mentor
  • TSP Forum member
    • Scarydad
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2020, 07:08:25 AM »
If and whether people die from the illness, there is going to be disruption no matter what. At some point, there is going to be a run on the stores. I've seen some pictures of empty shelves in Italy.

I was sort of just going along with daily life until I saw a picture on Reddit. It was a shot of an empty street in Wuhan from an apartment window and the caption was, "My brother's view of the street in front of his house. He says that they're already low on food."

That, more than anything, got me moving. I did some calculations and upped my survival rations (dry beans, rice, pasta, and cured meats) by a lot. Funny thing is, a half-ton of that stuff only increases your grocery bill by about $3.50. Grabbed some medicines and disinfectants, and the big bottles of booze.

I have to say that having already had a decent store of supplies beforehand made the stock-up a lot easier. A lot less costly too. And if nothing happens at all, should the virus pass us over and disappear into history, none of the extra stuff I bought is anything I don't already use. So, it will help if times get tough or even if they don't.

I like that.

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2020, 09:21:40 AM »
I did a large Costco run on my way home last night. I was obviously the only guy in the place stocking up and while the check out crew joked about the end of the world, COVID didn’t seem to be on anyone’s mind and I didn’t bring it up.

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2020, 09:29:04 PM »
We're in pretty good shape here now for a long time. Have a few more amazon orders to come in yet.
Then early next week I want to make another bulk store run for bulk flour and such.
Got some holes filled in medical. Ordered extra alcohol.
Then I think we should start limiting exposure to big store crowds and such.
Just stay home and tend the critters

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2020, 11:59:37 AM »
I convinced my mom to make a Costco run yesterday and she talked two of her friends into laying in some stores, too.

Offline David in MN

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2020, 01:00:29 PM »
I convinced my mom to make a Costco run yesterday and she talked two of her friends into laying in some stores, too.

Yeah I did that too. How hard is it to just have an extra bag of flour and some pasta? You'll use it eventually if nothing goes wrong. This isn't like some crazy Mountain House or MRE thing; just the basics so if you get stuck in the house you have something.

I think it's just lifestyle with the olds. When I was a kid we had a deep pantry because mom didn't want to have to go to the store (about 30 minutes each way) just to bake some cookies on a rainy day to keep us kids distracted. Now she's all about her daily stop to get fresh fish and salads made of lettuces that didn't exist when I was a kid. Amazing how hard it is to convince her to just have something in the pantry now.

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2020, 01:02:02 PM »

8)
How about her meds if she takes any?

Saw a banner on CNN last night where the FDA announced a pill shortage already.

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2020, 01:18:43 PM »
8)
How about her meds if she takes any?

Saw a banner on CNN last night where the FDA announced a pill shortage already.

She’s working on that today.  Pill shortages will be a nightmare.

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2020, 01:21:03 PM »
She’s working on that today.  Pill shortages will be a nightmare.

8)

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2020, 01:24:13 PM »
I found a list of shortages

https://www.drugs.com/drug-shortages/

Offline Mr. Bill

• Like a hot cocoa mojito
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • Trained Attack Sheepdog/Troll hunter
    • Website Maintenance and Online Presence Management by Mr. Bill

Offline ImNotGivngMyName2AMachine

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2020, 08:57:21 PM »
Don't be freaked out by the long list of drug shortages, at least with respect to current events. Archive.org's Wayback Machine has copies of that page going back to 2015 and it's always a long list. Today 298 items on the list, and on September 16th 2019 it was 256. 218 on Jan 14 2019. I guess it's getting longer but it's not alarming to me.

Offline Mr. Bill

• Like a hot cocoa mojito
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • Trained Attack Sheepdog/Troll hunter
    • Website Maintenance and Online Presence Management by Mr. Bill
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2020, 10:27:07 PM »
Thanks for that perspective.  I figured it wasn't a brand-new problem, but some of the items on the list are just weird.  Bags of saline, and since last summer?  Come on, nobody can make bags of saline?

Ah well.  My wife got energized, so we made a Costco run.  Now we need to build an addition on the kitchen so we can put it away. 8)

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #22 on: February 29, 2020, 06:27:37 AM »
Thanks for that perspective.  I figured it wasn't a brand-new problem, but some of the items on the list are just weird.  Bags of saline, and since last summer?  Come on, nobody can make bags of saline?

Ah well.  My wife got energized, so we made a Costco run.  Now we need to build an addition on the kitchen so we can put it away. 8)

I remember a thread way back that Cedar participated in that mentioned shortages of saline bags.  I am NOT going to go looking for it though, so don't ask ;)  My point is: that item has been on the list for a long time

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #23 on: February 29, 2020, 06:56:49 AM »

We know that feeling.  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Just buy a 40' conex and have it parked alongside the garage  ;D

Offline Redman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Lost in the 50's
« Reply #24 on: February 29, 2020, 07:30:02 AM »

We know that feeling.  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Just buy a 40' conex and have it parked alongside the garage  ;D

::)

You do realize what it will cost to put shelves in that thing, huh?

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #25 on: February 29, 2020, 07:58:25 AM »
::)

You do realize what it will cost to put shelves in that thing, huh?

Used pallets and concrete blocks..... ;D

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #26 on: February 29, 2020, 04:03:47 PM »

Cedar just texted me that she snagged the last toilet paper at her Costco, which is in the same part of Oregon where my family is.

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #27 on: February 29, 2020, 07:15:45 PM »
Cedar just texted me that she snagged the last toilet paper at her Costco, which is in the same part of Oregon where my family is.

I generally buy a thing of toilet paper every time I go to Costco... with 5 kids and Costco an hour away, I really really never want to run out.  We generally have 4-5 full packages anyway.

We are headed there Friday for a doctor appoint (the city with our closest Costco), so we will snag a few things that I would snag anyway.  Drat, I am out of unbleached flour - my daughter has been going through it like candy, making bread at least once a week.  Poor us, right?

maybe I will also grab some paper towels and some clorox wipes.

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #28 on: February 29, 2020, 09:48:35 PM »
Got inspired by all the comments and stocked up on OTC cold/flu remedies. We never usually use them, so don't keep them on hand typically. We usually have them expire before we ever get sick, so this wasn't something we already had in stock. I think I threw out the old stuff about a year ago (and it was long expired). If things start snowballing, it may be in short supply. It will be good to have on hand - just in case.

Offline surfivor

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #29 on: February 29, 2020, 10:27:58 PM »

I have a bunch of freeze dried food. I have stuff in five gallon buckets in mylar but it’s like 11 years old. The white rice and beans in the Mylar is probably still usable tho it’s 11 years old, but I will probably buy some more rice and beans, toilet paper, soy milk etc tomorrow. I was going to order more freeze dried stuff a few weeks ago but I decided to save my money instead. I could easily afford to buy more freeze dried but I am between jobs and tend to be more frugal just for the sake of it. Maybe I will place another order on Monday. My house gets a little crowded with various stuff. Ideally it should be stored at 70 degrees but I don’t have a basement