Author Topic: C25K - The Couch-to-5K Running Plan  (Read 2980 times)

Offline ebonearth

• TSP Bunny Rabbit Wrangler
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Plant a Revolution!
C25K - The Couch-to-5K Running Plan
« on: June 23, 2009, 08:12:32 PM »
The C25K Running Plan
Anyone else tried this? I am thinking of starting it next week as I have not run regularly in a decade. I walk plenty and do other things but ever since that last case of the shin splints I stayed away from it. I would be interested in anyone's advice or experience with the program or just running in general. Thanks!

Offline Vision

• Prepper
Re: C25K - The Couch-to-5K Running Plan
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2009, 10:09:09 PM »
ebonearth,
Good job starting running.  Before you start again, get your butt to the local running store. (not the local big 5, but the local running store)
They will help you with fitting your shoe for the way your foot strikes the ground as you run.
C25K good and best in an audio format.
http://www.ullreys.com/robert/Podcasts/page4/files/category-7.html
Have fun and happy runnning.

Offline barnesglobal

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2009, 05:42:33 AM »
Ebonearth,

It can be done.  I was exercising but not running and went from not running at all to completely a full marathon in 12 1/2 months.  I found a walk-run routine designed to finish, but not break any world records.  In the end, I finished with a time of under 6 hours.   There are those that will tell you it is not a real marathon unless you finish under 4 hours, but my objective was to finish.  http://www.jeffgalloway.com/training/marathon.html

Barnesglobal

Offline cougar

• Survivor
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2009, 06:02:37 AM »
Ebonearth,
I will reiterate what has already been said to some degree.  The biggest keys to running are good shoes and build up slowly.  Make sure you get a good running shoe, not what is on sale.  There are several sites that can help with this.  First you need to know your foot type (overpronater vs underpronater, etc).  Easiest way to determine this is the wet test .  For example: http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/news/article.asp?UAN=481
Ideally you should go to a good shoe store that caters to runners.  Don't be put off by the shoe prices.  They frequently run $100 plus but if you look you can find them cheaper.  Just make sure you try them on and run in them to see how they feel before buying.  If you are prone to shin splints, the price of shoes is cheap compared to physical therapy to help shin splints in addition to time for healing and the pain.  Don't buy into the no pain, no gain mantra.  This is only true in limited degrees since pain is your body telling you there is something wrong.  It is good to push the human body to improve and grow, but you need to know your body well enough to know the difference (and it can be a thin line) between the pain of reasonable stress on the body and impending injury.
The program you listed looks reasonable.  Just don't push too fast too hard.  5k is a good distance because most folks can work up to this without too much trouble.  Danger comes if you try to do very long distances too quick.  I have a friend who got into running and worked up to his first marathon in under a year and got a stress fracture during the race because his skeletal system was not well enough adapted for the distance yet. 
One other point. If you are walking you are probably ok, but from a medical standpoint anyone who is preparing to make a significant change in their activity level should have a physical exam to make sure they are OK to do it. 
Glad to see you are getting into running.  Good luck and have fun!

adp113

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2009, 11:05:44 AM »
ebonearth,
Good job starting running.  Before you start again, get your butt to the local running store. (not the local big 5, but the local running store)
They will help you with fitting your shoe for the way your foot strikes the ground as you run.
C25K good and best in an audio format.
http://www.ullreys.com/robert/Podcasts/page4/files/category-7.html
Have fun and happy runnning.

This is pretty much the best running advice you'll ever get.  The local running store will make all the difference in getting the right shoe and staying injury free.

ACMM

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2009, 11:09:33 AM »
I used the C25K program and was extremely pleased with the results.  The right shoes and this program helped me get through my first 5k without injury.  :)