Author Topic: Could ongoing virus trigger economic depression?  (Read 648 times)

Offline surfivor

• Survival Veteran
Could ongoing virus trigger economic depression?
« on: March 12, 2020, 10:54:44 PM »
I was thinking, if this virus doesn’t go away and turns out to be as bad as some say and sticks around for years, could it trigger an economic depression or is that part of the eugenics plan to begin with ?

I’ve alre been contemplating a little bit of this which is basically could I retire or semi retire at my camp in Maine? I hate the idea in that it’s cold with 3 or 4 feet of snow in the winter but ..

My yurt is 20 feet in diameter or about 350 square feet or whatever. It is not well insulated but the wood stove is close to a cubic foot firebox and puts out 28k btu max. Now I see that some stoves can do 100k so I could easily do that I suppose and be set for for sub zero temps anyway and maybe buy some supplemental firewood tho I have 11 acres. By removing tables and putting in 6 foot high shelves in the yurt I could have more storage plus put in a bunk bed so I could have storage on the top bed and underneath. I have a 20 foot storage container as well.

I could get a decent generator also and I have been studying quail raising and I guess you could eat lots of rice and beans and go with cheaper fruits in the winter like apples and bananas

Using the generator I could create ice using an ice maker. I have a giant yeti style cooler. Using a vacuum sealer I picture that I could make a kind of quail jerky that didn’t need to be refrigerated to store and also make dried eggs vacuum sealed the same way?

I have also studied eastern Tennessee a bit which looks to have lower cost of living and has some good music areas nearby like Knoxville, Asheville, Nashville, Atlanta, Chattanooga and some moderation from hot weather in the great smoky mountains and foothills
« Last Edit: March 12, 2020, 11:06:02 PM by surfivor »

Offline richardr

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Re: Could ongoing virus trigger economic depression?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2020, 08:19:46 PM »
govt imposition of fiat bailouts, crushing business edicts and poor policy decisions certainly will, just like it did in the 1930s. If it wasn't for Hitler triggering a World War, the 1937 downturn would have plunged into deeper Depression all over again. 1938 war material programs 'solved' our economic troubles (rolling into 1940/1941 Lend-Lease production.
And most of our politicians are making the same mistakes all over again. They just approved the $2T 'bailout'. $6000 more inflation for every man, woman and child in America.

Offline Carver

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2020, 09:41:17 PM »
I spent a summer in Maine arriving in June and there was still snow in the woods, patches. A couple of weeks later visited a guy building a log home far back in the woods. It was hot and sultry, he was dressed in boxer shorts and wearing socks and boots and sweating like a pig. The nights were cold and damp, needed a campfire to keep warm. The next morning it drizzled all day. Some days were perfect, but nights were always cool. A fire was never unwelcome.

Offline surfivor

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2020, 03:00:29 AM »
I spent a summer in Maine arriving in June and there was still snow in the woods, patches. A couple of weeks later visited a guy building a log home far back in the woods. It was hot and sultry, he was dressed in boxer shorts and wearing socks and boots and sweating like a pig. The nights were cold and damp, needed a campfire to keep warm. The next morning it drizzled all day. Some days were perfect, but nights were always cool. A fire was never unwelcome.

If you think Maine is cold, try Alaska

What part of Maine was this ? I have spent 10 years in central Maine. My camp is 900 feet above sea level. l don’t think I have ever seen snow in June and probably not even much into May wxcymaybe tops of mountains. If I have it has been fairly uncommon

Offline Chemsoldier

• Pot Stirrer
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2020, 10:16:31 AM »
Yes, it could.

What else needs to be said?

Offline PorcupineKate

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Head Weed Puller
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2020, 12:18:34 PM »
I was thinking, if this virus doesn’t go away and turns out to be as bad as some say and sticks around for years, could it trigger an economic depression or is that part of the eugenics plan to begin with ?

I’ve alre been contemplating a little bit of this which is basically could I retire or semi retire at my camp in Maine? I hate the idea in that it’s cold with 3 or 4 feet of snow in the winter but ..

My yurt is 20 feet in diameter or about 350 square feet or whatever. It is not well insulated but the wood stove is close to a cubic foot firebox and puts out 28k btu max. Now I see that some stoves can do 100k so I could easily do that I suppose and be set for for sub zero temps anyway and maybe buy some supplemental firewood tho I have 11 acres. By removing tables and putting in 6 foot high shelves in the yurt I could have more storage plus put in a bunk bed so I could have storage on the top bed and underneath. I have a 20 foot storage container as well.

I could get a decent generator also and I have been studying quail raising and I guess you could eat lots of rice and beans and go with cheaper fruits in the winter like apples and bananas

Using the generator I could create ice using an ice maker. I have a giant yeti style cooler. Using a vacuum sealer I picture that I could make a kind of quail jerky that didn’t need to be refrigerated to store and also make dried eggs vacuum sealed the same way?

Can you dig a root cellar in the ground?  Apples, squashes, potatoes, and other root crops could easily be stored this way. 
I have family all up and down Mid Coast Maine and they all have gardens every year with little trouble.  Fedco and Johnny's Selected Seeds are both in Maine and they have all sots of short season varieties that do great in New England.

Offline surfivor

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2020, 12:39:05 PM »
Can you dig a root cellar in the ground?  Apples, squashes, potatoes, and other root crops could easily be stored this way. 
I have family all up and down Mid Coast Maine and they all have gardens every year with little trouble.  Fedco and Johnny's Selected Seeds are both in Maine and they have all sots of short season varieties that do great in New England.

The land is a bit wet and if you dig down a few feet you tend to hit water. I would have to build some kind of mound so it's a bit of work

Offline oktheniknow

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2020, 11:06:04 PM »
Sounds too cold to me.
I've been renting a few years. Hoping that the real estate market will cool some. The market around Austin is way overpriced.