Author Topic: We are all preppers now  (Read 1216 times)

Offline suzysurvivor

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
Re: We are all preppers now
« Reply #30 on: March 24, 2020, 08:34:54 PM »
I will have to disagree with the title of this thread. We are not all preppers now. Preppers have  o need to go out and panic buy. What you have is a bunch of people panic buying . These are hoarders . Once the emergency is over they go back to sleep.
 Once again bargains on Craigslist will be out there to be bought. If last emergencies are any indication less that 1% will be awakened by this.
i agree!  a few...maybe 20% will wake up and actually start to prepare for future disasters but the rest will do it for a bit (or not at all) and then go right back to 'normal'.

Offline IKN

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #31 on: March 24, 2020, 08:57:45 PM »
For those of us who do, this is a great learning opportunity. Nothing like a real emergency to show the holes in our plans and preps.
For myself, there were things I needed more of and some that I had more than necessary for this pandemic.
We've been breeding our goats to birth in late March to early April. If we'd bred them earlier, we'd have had a plentiful supply of milk for ourselves and others. It would have supplied us with cream for making butter as well. We've always done this so the babies were born in warmer weather vs cold of winter. While I won't change this much, I'll probably build a better shelter and breed for a slightly earlier birthing.
One of the things I've been doing is trying to make a list of what changes I need to make in our props once this has passed and things return to a more normal state.
I want to learn from this and make sure I don't get caught flat footed again. It's quite apparent to me that I can't trust the government, media, or medical community to give me fast, clear, and truthful data about what we're facing. If they had, I ran to grab some of the items I was short on in the early days before the shelves were cleared.

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Geese Smuggling Moonbat
  • Survival Veteran
  • There are no mistakes, just Learning Experiences
« Reply #32 on: March 24, 2020, 09:01:45 PM »
I want to learn from this and make sure I don't get caught flat footed again. It's quite apparent to me that I can't trust the government, media, or medical community to give me fast, clear, and truthful data about what we're facing.

yup

Offline Chemsoldier

• Pot Stirrer
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #33 on: March 25, 2020, 07:13:13 AM »
i agree!  a few...maybe 20% will wake up and actually start to prepare for future disasters but the rest will do it for a bit (or not at all) and then go right back to 'normal'.

20% would likely increase the ranks of preppers by tenfold or more

Also, what "normal" will the non woke go back to?  I imagine after all the enforced shut in and home cooking, the next time a disaster happens, those that have gone back to sleep will at least have a disaster mode to turn on.  They might shop with a little more purpose and deliberation, have a better idea of what they need to get.  They also might trip their "get ready" mode a bit earlier than this time.  A snow storm that would have before created a run on milk and bread, will create a temporary surge of an additional 7 days of supply in that area's pantries.  I'll take that.

Also, anything that buffers the retail stockage would be helpful.  I know the back room of a grocery store will never make a prepper happy.  But if they can put a small stockage back there, not enough to create spoilage issues, it will help a little.  If they can create a situation where increased demand doesnt run them out of stuff in hours it will probably calm people a bit and reduce the scope of the problem.

Finally, it looks like many of the prepper supply places are selling out of everything.  Obviously in a major emergency they will sell out of everything.  But I wonder, we are usually so focused on finding places that even HAVE prepper stuff.  I wonder how many prepper sources were thinking about their resiliency vice being a normal business that happens to sell prepper stuff.  A prepper place that can stay open and provide product after a disaster hits, even for a short time, could make bank. 

Offline IKN

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #34 on: March 25, 2020, 07:56:04 AM »
At least this time the supply chain remained open, so far.
Imagine how much worse this would have been if everything had to be shutdown.

Offline suzysurvivor

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #35 on: March 25, 2020, 09:17:50 AM »
@chemsoldier, totally agree.  Any actions to mitigate a repeat of this panic/hoarding is a step forward. 

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #36 on: March 25, 2020, 09:56:24 AM »
Well, there are some statistical predictions that with mutations that are predicted to occur, this whole thing could go on 18 months or so... Maybe in that amount of time (assuming it lasts that long), we might have quite a few more gardeners and preparedness folks at the other side.

That would be a good thing.

Offline Chemsoldier

• Pot Stirrer
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #37 on: March 25, 2020, 10:04:20 AM »
Well, there are some statistical predictions that with mutations that are predicted to occur, this whole thing could go on 18 months or so... Maybe in that amount of time (assuming it lasts that long), we might have quite a few more gardeners and preparedness folks at the other side.

That would be a good thing.

I know a LOT of people that are sprouting and planning their gardens as we speak.  I have building a few raised beds on the project list.  I am also thinking about bees.  Maybe just a place for them to hang out, not even sure I want to mess with the honey harvesting part.  Hmm...wonder if bee keeping services are looking for places to put hives, but also will do the work of coming around and taking care of them?

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #38 on: March 25, 2020, 10:26:11 AM »
I know a LOT of people that are sprouting and planning their gardens as we speak.  I have building a few raised beds on the project list.  I am also thinking about bees.  Maybe just a place for them to hang out, not even sure I want to mess with the honey harvesting part.  Hmm...wonder if bee keeping services are looking for places to put hives, but also will do the work of coming around and taking care of them?

Most commercial are always lookin for new hangout places. Find your local bee club and they can direct you.

Online David in MN

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #39 on: March 25, 2020, 11:07:01 AM »
Even Dave Rubin started his show by confessing that us "nutty preppers" look really smart. Felt good because it's not the doomsday nonsense but We're having a rational look at having some extra food or the American tradition of the victory garden and just doing better to be prepared.

Offline Adam Campbell

• Dedicated Contributor
    • Adam Kenneth Campbell Photography
« Reply #40 on: March 25, 2020, 11:15:05 AM »
Is it panic buying when you decide to run out during a pandemic scare to pick up some things you A. were running low on already but figured you'd just pick some up next time you're out and B. decide NOW is the time to pick up some items that you always wanted to but just didn't have the money or immediate necessity for?

Asking for a friend...

Offline suzysurvivor

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #41 on: March 25, 2020, 02:21:23 PM »
i figure as long as i'm not buying a whole cart of easy-mac cups, i'm still ok. :P

Offline IKN

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #42 on: March 25, 2020, 06:24:38 PM »
Is it panic buying when you decide to run out during a pandemic scare to pick up some things you A. were running low on already but figured you'd just pick some up next time you're out and B. decide NOW is the time to pick up some items that you always wanted to but just didn't have the money or immediate necessity for?

Asking for a friend...

IMHO, as far as A, I wouldn't think so. Many items have short shelf lives and need used and replenished frequently especially this time of year in northern climates.
As for B, that seems more of a priority thing. If you didn't have the money before, how would one have it now unless you redirected the money from bills or other expenses.

Offline IKN

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #43 on: March 27, 2020, 09:36:59 AM »
Something I’ve been contemplating going forward.
All the reporting and conversations about the pandemic I’ve seen seem to be stuck in the “Here and Now”. As this virus progresses, it’s no stretch of the imagination that it will eventually migrate from the cities and major metropolitan areas out into the more rural areas.
As the mass of people recover and the rate of transmission decreases, society will return to a more normal state. This is the point that a new threat could emerge.
The time is fast approaching for farmers to hit the fields to get this years crops in. Consider the impact on the food supply chain if farmers are hit hard at this time. Add the fact the average age of farmers today is somewhere in the mid 60’s (the high-risk age) along with the 4 to 8 week recovery timeframe.
Maybe it’s time to start considering/planning for planting a bigger garden, getting supplies for canning and storage for that food and/or stock up on long term storage food supplies.

Offline suzysurvivor

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #44 on: March 27, 2020, 09:57:53 AM »
Something I’ve been contemplating going forward.
All the reporting and conversations about the pandemic I’ve seen seem to be stuck in the “Here and Now”. As this virus progresses, it’s no stretch of the imagination that it will eventually migrate from the cities and major metropolitan areas out into the more rural areas.
As the mass of people recover and the rate of transmission decreases, society will return to a more normal state. This is the point that a new threat could emerge.
The time is fast approaching for farmers to hit the fields to get this years crops in. Consider the impact on the food supply chain if farmers are hit hard at this time. Add the fact the average age of farmers today is somewhere in the mid 60’s (the high-risk age) along with the 4 to 8 week recovery timeframe.
Maybe it’s time to start considering/planning for planting a bigger garden, getting supplies for canning and storage for that food and/or stock up on long term storage food supplies.
gonna try to coax something to grow here this and I do also believe that there will be a crushing second wave.  This is not going to simply just go away.  We have to prepare for the new normal.

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Geese Smuggling Moonbat
  • Survival Veteran
  • There are no mistakes, just Learning Experiences
« Reply #45 on: March 27, 2020, 10:03:13 AM »
gonna try to coax something to grow here this and I do also believe that there will be a crushing second wave.  This is not going to simply just go away.  We have to prepare for the new normal.

I am wondering - are we in the second wave?  reports out of Italy said that there was an irregular flu season in November-December, with milder symptoms of this one.

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #46 on: March 27, 2020, 10:14:11 AM »
I am wondering - are we in the second wave?  reports out of Italy said that there was an irregular flu season in November-December, with milder symptoms of this one.

It is puzzling. I just have a hard time imagining it when we had no similar spike in respiratory problems in the hospitals during that time...

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #47 on: March 27, 2020, 10:30:15 AM »
We're still planning on our usual huge garden. We are prepared with everything related to canning. That's something we feel is needed along with a storehouse.

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #48 on: March 27, 2020, 10:33:20 AM »
that is very true, Stwood.

Offline theBINKYhunter

• Does not fall well with plastic guns...
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
  • Not a tactical baddass
« Reply #49 on: March 27, 2020, 11:22:52 AM »
I miss my garden. Our home doesn't have a huge yard so a garden is not really an option in it's current state.

When we redesign it and 'finish' it I'm going to carve out a little corner so I can plant a few things.

Offline ChEng

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Chief Engineer
« Reply #50 on: March 27, 2020, 12:30:58 PM »
My "green" thumb is decidedly more of a sickly green, than anything lively. Plastic plants in my office have wilted.  :-[  It's pretty clear that my skills are more in the technology area than the life sciences.

In addition to my lack of skills/abilities, the ground in our (urban) back yard is pitiful. I went out and bought several bags of potting soil, and fertilizer, used raised beds with that "good" soil and "pre-started" seedlings. And the fruit and veggie seedlings still had troubles getting anything to come up. The little that did come up was quickly chewed away by uninvited "guests" (probably the 4-legged kind, but also may have been some of the 2-winged kind.)  :'(

Mrs. ChEng is a farmer's daughter, and even she has troubles. I often thank God for grocery stores.  :o

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #51 on: March 27, 2020, 01:55:22 PM »
We've moved to a new state, with a different climate and clay soil, so it's going to be an adventure... I'm going to see what happens with it this year and will hope to get better every summer...

On the plus side, we get a lot more rain here than before, and the soil is more acidic, so I can grow berries... hoping for the best.

I pulled out my seed stock (which has been living in the freezer). I was very pleased that several of my seeds that were purchased for 2010 still germinated and are looking hopeful. I bought some new seeds, but was hoping some of those heritage varieties I bought years ago would still work. So far, my cherokee chocolate tomatoes, some of the herbs and broccoli and cabbage are looking good.

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #52 on: March 29, 2020, 12:02:11 PM »
Update on seed germination:

Cherokee Chocolate tomatoes
Zebra tomatoes
Nova tomatoes
Thyme
broccoli
cabbage
radishes

All 10 year old seeds that were kept (mostly) frozen. This proves to me how well it works to save your leftover seed in the freezer...

They have all germinated well. I'm still waiting for a few of the other herbs (oregano, parsley, basil, sage) to sprout, but things are looking very hopeful. I'll also be planting the squash, cucumber,  and beans direct sow in a couple of weeks. Hoping for good success on those as well.

I have planted some carrot seeds direct sow and haven't seen any action yet, but will wait and see.

I have hedged my bets with some new seed as well, but didn't really have time to order those interesting seeds I had in the freezer. I bought brandywine, cherry and plum tomatoes at Lowe's, which are all germinating fine. Also, my tarragon germinated very easily. It is an herb I have only been using much of over the past couple of years and is almost impossible to find in the grocery stores sometimes...

I've just placed a new order for seeds from Jackie Clay Atkinson for some fun varieties so that I have them ready for early starts next February... they will go in the freezer once they arrive. Some I will be able to use this year, but some will have to wait for next season.

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #53 on: March 29, 2020, 12:07:58 PM »
I may want to do this gong forward, have some extra forzen seeds, how did you package them ?

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #54 on: March 29, 2020, 12:27:30 PM »
I didn't do anything special. Just kept them in the original paper packets and crammed them into a quart mason jar and kept in the deep freeze. And, keep in mind that we moved FOUR times. Those seeds in the jar just moved with us in a cooler each time, going into the freezer once we got in the new place... not exactly primo care.

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #55 on: March 29, 2020, 12:55:17 PM »
My area is experiencing a run on gardening supplies, which I knew.  I did not know until a friend called me today that we are also having a run on baby chicks, in that as soon as a feed store gets them, they are gone.  One feed store will be doing an online order, starting early friday morning, for the chicks  when they arrive, then there will be schedualled pick up times on Saturday.  Woe to those who arrive late to the web page friday morning...

I have actually been waiting to get a few since my broody hen died, I did not get them last month as I am waiting for the golden laced wyandotts, so we will see, those are not here this weekend anyway, they are in a couple weeks

Online David in MN

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #56 on: March 29, 2020, 01:17:54 PM »
I've done them year to year in Ziplocs. Nothing fancy. Don't do it much anymore because it's a lot of work to save $3 on heirloom tomato seeds. Sometimes if I fall in love but that's it. Don't know about longer term.

A lot of that stuff I learned from grandma on the farm and she had such a mindset she used evrything to the point of reu-sing salsa jars for her jams. I'm pretty sure she would wash out a Wonderbread bag and toss seeds in it and huck it in the cellar. Things always seemed to work for her. I aspire to do 1/10 what she did with 1000 times the cash.

The odd one for me right now is  cleaning supplies. Not that I'm about to run out but I just never thought about Bar Keeper's Friend or Lysol wipes. I have bleach as a prep and I'm a soapmaker so we are stocked hygene wise. Little things like bathroom cleaners that I use once per week never made my radar. There've been  a few of those things that in normal times are like "put it on the Costco list" or "hon, while you're at the store" things.

I will also confess some of the hoarding is confusing to me. Flour and yeast? I'm the passionate home baker who makes bread about 3 times weekly. But I know I'm not normal. Are people about to rediscover the joy of baking? My wife says that forcing people inside makes them bake more; maybe true. But going 0 to 60 on yeasted bread is something that took me decades so I would fret the learning curve. Same with the beans and rice. I realize the people on this forum are outliers who probably would soak lentils overnight and cook them down with duck fat and a crusty bread finished on the grill. Other people just aren't there. I'm suffering through a wilted greens and apple salad with chevre and candied walnuts dressed in Balsamic vinegar. Somebody around here has flour and yeast and no bread pan or experience grilling pita. I will say of all my preps being comfortable cooking has payed dividends in this malady. Also really helps that I take annual Caribbean trips and rent a house in the islands where it's daily Iron Chef because you don't know what the grocer will have.

This has been an odd "prepper" experience. I don't know about your grocers but mine got stripped of flour, all #10 cans (really???), rice, beans, potatoes. Nobody looked twice at the oatmeal, pumpkin pie filling, barley, corn meal, etc. I think we'll have a lot of learning as a community coming out of this. The panic buying alone is very eye opening. Also kinda weird that those of us who like to live on ham hocks and marrow bones don't have a problem. I think our little hobby here is going to go through a reformation as we start to see what we can do with what is picked over. I think we will be very surprised at how easy we discover our ancestors lived well on pretty meager food and we still have it in our blood.

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #57 on: March 29, 2020, 02:36:16 PM »
Didn't really plan to store those seeds for such a long time... just haven't had time to garden much over the past few years... and bought plants from the garden stores for a few years instead of starting my own. It was nice to know they still were viable after that much time...

@David: I think you are right about what is left in the stores after the panic-buyers have moved through. Many of the things they won't buy would work to make fantastic meals/etc.

I just haven't really been to a store in awhile except to run in for milk or something, so I don't really know how it has been the past 10 days or so. I agree that learning to cook using basic materials (no mixes, etc.) is a really good prep.

Online David in MN

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #58 on: March 29, 2020, 04:05:49 PM »
Well I do think there is a disconnect on survival food when there are no chicken nuggets but you can buy soup bones, carrots, celery, onions, turnips, rootabegas, chard, parsnip, and parsley. So we're all going to get sick and the only thing the grocer has are the ingredients to make bone broth root vegetable soup that I make when one of us is sick.

Offline Mr. Bill

• Like a hot cocoa mojito
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • Trained Attack Sheepdog/Troll hunter
    • Website Maintenance and Online Presence Management by Mr. Bill
« Reply #59 on: March 29, 2020, 05:48:03 PM »
Well I do think there is a disconnect on survival food when there are no chicken nuggets but you can buy soup bones, carrots, celery, onions, turnips, rootabegas, chard, parsnip, and parsley. So we're all going to get sick and the only thing the grocer has are the ingredients to make bone broth root vegetable soup that I make when one of us is sick.

And when all of you are sick?  Which one will stand in the kitchen cooking bone broth root vegetable soup from scratch?