Author Topic: We are all preppers now  (Read 2088 times)

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
Re: We are all preppers now
« Reply #60 on: March 29, 2020, 05:55:03 PM »
And when all of you are sick?  Which one will stand in the kitchen cooking bone broth root vegetable soup from scratch?

exactly. 

We have to plan for not being able to cook.  So, we also need to buy, or can or freeze at home, broth and ready to eat soups.  That is why shelf stable broths and soups are bought up first over the ingredients

I have a some jars of home canned, one batch of broth in the freezer, to get ready in case I am sick, but also in early February, I bought a dozen cans of ready made soup that I like that I think I could eat when sick. 

Offline PorcupineKate

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Head Weed Puller
« Reply #61 on: March 29, 2020, 09:13:04 PM »
And when all of you are sick?  Which one will stand in the kitchen cooking bone broth root vegetable soup from scratch?

Since I have had 2 years to adjust to my new reality of physical limitations it has turned out to be a huge blessing in this mess of a quarantining. I had to make big changes to my diet to manage some of health issues so now I cook everything  from scratch.  I also have a lot of bad days and to manage I always batch cook when I can and all my left overs go in the freezer in single serving size containers that are labeled.  This way I have plenty of heat and eat meals when I can't manage to cook.  Soups, stew, chili, fritatas, Shepard's pie, brown rice, pulled pork, pot roast, spaghetti sauce, frozen veggies and other dishes I can't think of at the moment.  I do this all year as a part of my normal cooking.  It saves me precious energy when I have symptom flares and my husband always has a home cooked lunch even when he isn't working from home. If we get sick  but not sick enough to go to hospital I have close to 2 gallons of frozen soup in the freezer right now. All my bone broth is pressure canned so a good soup always easy to throw together.   

Offline ChEng

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Chief Engineer
« Reply #62 on: March 30, 2020, 05:24:20 AM »
We also do this. My wife and I cook like we used to when all nine kids were still living at home, and then we vacuum-seal the leftovers. We have a couple dozen pre-packed meals (we package them for the two of us) in the freezer, and can just grab one, toss it into the microwave, and eat.

A couple of years ago, my wife gave me one of those breakfast sandwich makers as a present. You take english muffins, put them into the machine with some sausage/ham/bacon, some cheese and eggs and it makes two egg sandwiches. Great machine! But, I've discovered that if I put the meat and egg into the top and bottom of both sandwich racks and scramble up the eggs, I can get four breakfast patties. I do a dozen eggs at a time, and then vacuum-seal them two to a pack, and put them in the freezer. I just take a pack out, cut a tiny hole in the package for steam, microwave it and put the patties on a toasted english muffin, add cheese and have nice egg sandwiches.

Offline David in MN

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #63 on: March 30, 2020, 06:16:56 AM »

Well I do have reserved bone broth in the freezer and I chopped the veggies last fall and froze them so I can basically dump it all im a pot and be good. That way I've planned for a good veg stew easily made during flu season.

And then there's the other thing. I don't have an option. I have a child I will not watch starve. I will crawl over broken glass and pluck my eyes out before she goes without. I'd guess that's common to all parents through history.

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Geese Smuggling Moonbat
  • Survival Veteran
  • There are no mistakes, just Learning Experiences
« Reply #64 on: March 30, 2020, 06:42:39 AM »
Well I do have reserved bone broth in the freezer and I chopped the veggies last fall and froze them so I can basically dump it all im a pot and be good. That way I've planned for a good veg stew easily made during flu season.

And then there's the other thing. I don't have an option. I have a child I will not watch starve. I will crawl over broken glass and pluck my eyes out before she goes without. I'd guess that's common to all parents through history.

I know she is still young, but I bet my buttons that you have already started "teaching" her how to cook.  When my son was born (a planned home-birth), my daughter made dinner that night.  She pulled the chicken out of the freezer, put it in a pan, added the broth and foil over the top, and stuck it in the toaster oven.  Her dad helped her with mashed potatoes when he came up from work.
She was FIVE when her little brother was born.

All of my kids could scramble an egg on the stove by the time they are 7.  And I carefully look the other way when they are using my knives (which I keep sharp so they actually work).  I have no doubt that when she is 7, your daughter will be able to help you if you are sick.  Cuz that is the kind of dad you are.  :)

Offline Chemsoldier

• Pot Stirrer
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #65 on: March 30, 2020, 07:18:32 AM »

David, i dont doubt for a second that you would do anything for your kids.  I thnk the point is, not everyone has your knowledge, skills, interest, time, background or circumstances.

Frozen chicken nuggets is some people's bone broth soup.  Seeing parsnips in the store is not prima facie evidence of anything other than people not being you.  Just as nuggets have their drawbacks, so does strict from scratch cooking for some people...if for no other reason than they dont know how.

Offline David in MN

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #66 on: March 30, 2020, 07:42:15 AM »
I know she is still young, but I bet my buttons that you have already started "teaching" her how to cook.  When my son was born (a planned home-birth), my daughter made dinner that night.  She pulled the chicken out of the freezer, put it in a pan, added the broth and foil over the top, and stuck it in the toaster oven.  Her dad helped her with mashed potatoes when he came up from work.
She was FIVE when her little brother was born.

All of my kids could scramble an egg on the stove by the time they are 7.  And I carefully look the other way when they are using my knives (which I keep sharp so they actually work).  I have no doubt that when she is 7, your daughter will be able to help you if you are sick.  Cuz that is the kind of dad you are.  :)

She helps. Good at measuring flour and sugar, not so good at separating eggs.  ;) It's a little off coming up with me who begins cooking with knife skills and perfect cubed mirepoix (there are chefs on TV who lack my knife skills and it drives me nuts) and French sauces. But we've really tried to give isolated tasks that work well. As an example, we made blueberry muffins the other day and she made the streussel topping. Which was double fun because I got to use some German words.

I have a deep theory about this. Once upon a time a celeb chef (I forget which) was asked why all the restaurants hired young Latin American cooks. Unflinchingly he retorted that Latin Americans don't eat TV dinners so the kids are running around the kitchen with mom and taking on increasing roles helping. So by the time that kid grows to 16 he can make (OK, my favorite Mexican dish) tacos al pastor with frijoles charros by himself and that's a culinary marvel. And I thought to myself, no kidding. That's how I grew up. Of course it was Polish so mom was stewing a ham bone but the lesson holds. There are these little things like marinading the sauerbraten in wine for 3 days that stick. I think there's something there.

And the kids need the garden. At 2 my daughter could discern if a tomato was ripe. She could judge by the shape her favorite San Marzanos (a culinary snob, wonder where that came from) and has helped pick all the fruit. We made cherry preserves together last year and gave them to her Montessori teachers. We do a pot of flowers every year that is hers to tend to and we have pictures of her beaming with her flowers.

Offline David in MN

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #67 on: March 30, 2020, 07:46:21 AM »
David, i dont doubt for a second that you would do anything for your kids.  I thnk the point is, not everyone has your knowledge, skills, interest, time, background or circumstances.

Frozen chicken nuggets is some people's bone broth soup.  Seeing parsnips in the store is not prima facie evidence of anything other than people not being you.  Just as nuggets have their drawbacks, so does strict from scratch cooking for some people...if for no other reason than they dont know how.

That's the lesson I'm learning. I think there is a real lack of this knowledge. I feel bad for people who can't do what I do but my way is cheaper and healthier so I think I'm going to stick by it. It's nice to be with others who are doing canning and dehydrating even on a level I'm not.

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #68 on: March 30, 2020, 07:51:29 AM »
@david: I'd love your sauerbraten recipe... I failed to get it from my DH's German relatives. His step-grandmother's recipe was fantastic, but I never asked her for it before she started having memory problems. Could you post it in the recipe section?

Offline Carver

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #69 on: March 30, 2020, 07:59:29 AM »
Our neighbors are typical: they are housebound by habit, only once were their grade school kids out playing for 1/2 hour. Overweight mom came home once with a gallon of milk and a big frosted cake. Another day and another run she came home with a pizza. "Nutty Butter" wrappers litter around their recycling can. They have three TV's for the four of them, so as long as they have that and don't run out of sugar-based edibles they should be okay.

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #70 on: April 03, 2020, 10:35:50 AM »
I couldnt figure out where to put this, "prepper" ?  " panic buying" ?

Of course it is both.

I just got my chores done early, and sat at the computer waiting for 9am to come around as that was the time to online, pre buy the chicks at the local farm and feed.  I didnt get any.  By the time I picked out a few of 3 types, and hit paypal button, it was out of stock for one type, so I had to  go back to basket, hit go again, the second was gone, repeat.  All sold out of chicks,  By 9:10am.

Everyone is buying chicks.  It is all about the homesteading.

I may have go lucky though, a friend of mine called this correctly, he and his wife both went on right at 9am, but had the correct strategy he went for the black sex link and her for the buff orpingtons.   This took less time, and so they both won.  Of course, since they want a dozen, now they have extra, as they have 22 reserved, or so we think.  This will not be confirmed until pick up, of course.  But, I think since the sales went thru, we have chicks coming.  So, I called and can get at least 4, probably could get more, but in case others in our area need, 4 would be my minimum.  SO, hurray fro friends. No they will not be hording chicks, they will get distributed out to others in our area. 

Offline Mintbird

• Survivor
  • Prepping since 2012
« Reply #71 on: April 03, 2020, 10:49:25 AM »
I couldnt figure out where to put this, "prepper" ?  " panic buying" ?

he went for the black sex link and her for the buff orpingtons.

What's a black sex link?   :eyebrow:

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #72 on: April 03, 2020, 11:30:08 AM »
What's a black sex link?   :eyebrow:

pretty hens, those.  They are a mix breed that the females are born black and the males a different color so it is easier to only get females.  Good layers too, and smart (as chickens go)

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #73 on: May 02, 2020, 03:38:05 PM »
so my cousin-in-law, we are pretty good friends, we drive 10 hours every summer to spend time together.  She is well-educated and active in her conservative church.  But, she has always voted for the democrat in her election because "I am in Idaho, and most of our government is republican, so I vote against that just so there is not a monopoly."  Not because she agrees or disagrees with a party or candidate.

COVID has been freaking her out, and she has called me a few times to talk out some things she has seen here and there.  Today she linked me to a conspiracy-theory Bill Gates is in cahoots with the Globalists to kill half the population with vaccines and COVID is the beginning of it all.

I watched part of the video, then gave her a call.  She knows we "homestead" and homeschool and generally try to live away from the world.  But I have never talked to her about WHY; she wouldn't understand, she wasn't ready to understand.

As we were talking and she wanted details on why or why not the video was true.  Finally I stopped her and said "H, this is a whole new world for you.  You have never delved into this world of conspiracy theory, and what is and isn't fact, and the truth is there is probably a bit of both in here.  And you are freaking out.  This is a place I have been aware of for a long time, and it can and will drive you crazy if you go there.  So Don't.  Just control what you can control."
H: "and let go what you cannot?"
M: "exactly." And then I sent her to some scriptures about the last days, and reminded her that God is in charge and to keep her focus on the Lord, and what she can do to prepare her family for whatever comes.  Then I told her this is why we have tried to get out of debt, and why we have chickens and land.  Because whatever else comes, I just canned 60 pints of bacon sitting in my basement.
The conversation eventually turned to what she is seeing her kids learning in school, and thought that her community was safe from the crazy that is in the schools, because they are in a small, rural, conservative community.  Again, I had the chance to tell her WHY we homeschool (one of many, but I have never shared with her) - because Idaho sold out their rights to a community-directed school system when they decided to take the federal money.  And now they have to follow the curriculum standards of the federal .gov.

I could feel her relax over the phone.  I think this whole thing is opening her eyes to a world she didn't WANT to know existed.  I think if she does not panic, she will come out the other side as a newborn "prepper"

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #74 on: May 03, 2020, 09:24:53 AM »

I'm going to try the seed freezing thing.
I wonder if freezing older seeds? 4-5 years old would revive them ?
Hmmmm

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #75 on: May 07, 2020, 02:51:09 PM »
so my cousin-in-law, we are pretty good friends, we drive 10 hours every summer to spend time together.  She is well-educated and active in her conservative church.  But, she has always voted for the democrat in her election because "I am in Idaho, and most of our government is republican, so I vote against that just so there is not a monopoly."  Not because she agrees or disagrees with a party or candidate.

COVID has been freaking her out, and she has called me a few times to talk out some things she has seen here and there.  Today she linked me to a conspiracy-theory Bill Gates is in cahoots with the Globalists to kill half the population with vaccines and COVID is the beginning of it all.

I watched part of the video, then gave her a call.  She knows we "homestead" and homeschool and generally try to live away from the world.  But I have never talked to her about WHY; she wouldn't understand, she wasn't ready to understand.

As we were talking and she wanted details on why or why not the video was true.  Finally I stopped her and said "H, this is a whole new world for you.  You have never delved into this world of conspiracy theory, and what is and isn't fact, and the truth is there is probably a bit of both in here.  And you are freaking out.  This is a place I have been aware of for a long time, and it can and will drive you crazy if you go there.  So Don't.  Just control what you can control."
H: "and let go what you cannot?"
M: "exactly." And then I sent her to some scriptures about the last days, and reminded her that God is in charge and to keep her focus on the Lord, and what she can do to prepare her family for whatever comes.  Then I told her this is why we have tried to get out of debt, and why we have chickens and land.  Because whatever else comes, I just canned 60 pints of bacon sitting in my basement.
The conversation eventually turned to what she is seeing her kids learning in school, and thought that her community was safe from the crazy that is in the schools, because they are in a small, rural, conservative community.  Again, I had the chance to tell her WHY we homeschool (one of many, but I have never shared with her) - because Idaho sold out their rights to a community-directed school system when they decided to take the federal money.  And now they have to follow the curriculum standards of the federal .gov.

I could feel her relax over the phone.  I think this whole thing is opening her eyes to a world she didn't WANT to know existed.  I think if she does not panic, she will come out the other side as a newborn "prepper"

Very good story, MS. I love how you handled it... helping her move along the path without being panic-stricken...