Author Topic: Covid- 19 Staycation What have odd things have you run out of?  (Read 2585 times)

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
Re: Covid- 19 Staycation What have odd things have you run out of?
« Reply #30 on: April 01, 2020, 11:32:52 AM »
Amazon's site is down apparently. Had a misfire??

Edit. It's back up

Offline Carver

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #31 on: April 01, 2020, 12:31:05 PM »
till yesterday beers and chips
Same here, ran out of beer; but there's nothing new about that.

Offline theBINKYhunter

• Does not fall well with plastic guns...
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
  • Not a tactical baddass
« Reply #32 on: April 02, 2020, 08:28:21 AM »
We haven't run our of much because we had enough but we're unable to resupply some things. We're close to running out of rice in the pantry which means we may be opening up one of my 5 gallon tubs I stored a few years ago.

Offline chrisdfw

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #33 on: April 03, 2020, 11:21:59 PM »
5/16 stainless steel nuts... usually an easy buy at lowes or home depot but I'm not going

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #34 on: April 04, 2020, 08:36:35 AM »
I've been ordering those items from Amazon lately. Some 5/16 set screws.

Offline Greekman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #35 on: April 04, 2020, 10:05:13 AM »
funny thing,,,,about two years ago, I have been posting, thta I would increase my stock of consumables for fixing or making things. Did not expect it would be That soon in needing them.

Offline Carver

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #36 on: April 04, 2020, 10:08:03 AM »
I risked my life the other day to make a run for filling up gas cans, a router bit and beer. What I saved at the pump I paid more for the beer; everything has jumped up by $1 per case.

Offline ChEng

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Chief Engineer
« Reply #37 on: April 04, 2020, 12:37:28 PM »
Games/entertainment.

We have not been real big gamers, but this is showing that we need more entertainment for a bug-in situation, especially an extended one. We have a few games, and I have just ordered a couple more, but after this is over, I'm going to get a few more games. (Plus it will help when we invite friends and relatives over.  :) )

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Geese Smuggling Moonbat
  • Survival Veteran
  • There are no mistakes, just Learning Experiences
« Reply #38 on: April 04, 2020, 05:30:41 PM »
Games/entertainment.

We have not been real big gamers, but this is showing that we need more entertainment for a bug-in situation, especially an extended one. We have a few games, and I have just ordered a couple more, but after this is over, I'm going to get a few more games. (Plus it will help when we invite friends and relatives over.  :) )

might I recommend https://www.amazon.com/Z-Man-Games-ZM7101-Pandemic/dp/B00A2HD40E/ref=sr_1_1?crid=2DXSMN4L19MWR&dchild=1&keywords=pandemic+board+game&qid=1586042957&sprefix=pande%2Caps%2C221&sr=8-1

seriously though, we have loved https://www.amazon.com/Asmodee-SPL01-Splendor/dp/B00IZEUFIA/ref=sr_1_1?crid=Z4QVC1F39INJ&dchild=1&keywords=splendor+board+game&qid=1586042986&sprefix=splendor+board+game%2Caps%2C206&sr=8-1

and https://www.amazon.com/SET-Enterprises-Five-Crowns-Card/dp/B00000IV35/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=5+crowns+board+game&qid=1586043004&sr=8-1

both are easy to learn, quick plays, and are fun even after 100 plays.

Offline screwby

• Prepper
« Reply #39 on: April 04, 2020, 08:49:09 PM »
Craft materials, my two girls love to keep themselves busy drawing and coloring and doing crafts.  We are running low on scotch tape and and white construction paper, yarn, and paints.  Thank god we have tons of crayons and other craft supplies to get by.

Can’t avoid small supply runs for perishables like milk, eggs, and fresh fruits.  Luckily we are surrounded by small Amish shops that keep us supplied.  We were already pretty well stocked on non perishables but I grab extras if I’m already on a run. 

Amazon get a lot of my business for things I normally would have run to the hardware store for.  I’m avoiding the city like the plague, literally. 

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #40 on: April 04, 2020, 09:05:07 PM »
Craft materials, my two girls love to keep themselves busy drawing and coloring and doing crafts.  We are running low on scotch tape and and white construction paper, yarn, and paints.  Thank god we have tons of crayons and other craft supplies to get by.

Can’t avoid small supply runs for perishables like milk, eggs, and fresh fruits.  Luckily we are surrounded by small Amish shops that keep us supplied.  We were already pretty well stocked on non perishables but I grab extras if I’m already on a run. 

Amazon get a lot of my business for things I normally would have run to the hardware store for.  I’m avoiding the city like the plague, literally.

if you can get a roll of packing tape, give the tape to them with a pair of scissors and any boxes you can spare.  It is amazing what kids will come up with!  Colorful duct tape is also fun.

Offline ChEng

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Chief Engineer
« Reply #41 on: April 05, 2020, 08:11:45 AM »
Sunshine,
Thanks for the recommendations (+1.) Unfortunately, with being basically unofficially medically retired (not enough strength/endurance to have any real income, taking money out of our retirement fund to live) those prices are out of my reach. Free to $10 is more along the lines of my budget.  :-[

I'm not sure whether your first suggestion was tongue-in-cheek, but it was very intriguing: I don't remember ever seeing any games which were cooperative. Usually it's a competition to try to beat the other players. I told Mrs. ChEng that I wished that we had the $50+ to order that game, just to see how a cooperative game would work. She mentioned that Jumanji was cooperative - the players worked together to try to stay alive.  :o To which I replied that this was only in the movies; in the game, you still try to beat the other players.

Ironically, just a few hours after I ordered Parcheesi for my wife, we were going through some of our old stuff, and she found a Parcheesi game. Oh well, I guess that two Parcheesi is one Parcheesi, and one Parcheesi is none Parcheesi.  ::)

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #42 on: April 05, 2020, 09:21:14 AM »
I do not know where you are... but around here there are "game library" stores, where you can borrow (or rent) a game for fairly cheap.

and yes, Pandemic was totally tongue-in-cheek.  LOL. but it is kind of a fun game; we have friends who used to own one of those game-rental stores, so they have ALL the games.  seriously.  All.  The.  Games.

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #43 on: April 05, 2020, 09:55:00 AM »
I do not know where you are... but around here there are "game library" stores, where you can borrow (or rent) a game for fairly cheap.

and yes, Pandemic was totally tongue-in-cheek.  LOL. but it is kind of a fun game; we have friends who used to own one of those game-rental stores, so they have ALL the games.  seriously.  All.  The.  Games.

Pandemic is a fun game, one of the kids has one, it is a pricey game.  The co-operative part is fun, as I often forget everything I can do with my character, and one of the kids can prompt me !

Catan is a good game, not co-operative, it is for 2-4 players, but is also pricey, I do not own it, but we played it alot over the Christmas holiday. 

Offline ChEng

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Chief Engineer
« Reply #44 on: April 05, 2020, 01:30:35 PM »
I do not know where you are... but around here there are "game library" stores, where you can borrow (or rent) a game for fairly cheap...
Yeah, I checked with the Mrs.; neither she, nor I, had ever heard of those. I think that they don't exist here. So, we'll just have to pick our games up on e-Bay, or a thrift shop like Goodwill or the Red, White and Blue stores.

Thanks again for the suggestions.

Offline theBINKYhunter

• Does not fall well with plastic guns...
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
  • Not a tactical baddass
« Reply #45 on: April 06, 2020, 07:30:54 AM »
Pandemic is a fun game. You do need a good group of people though who are willing to work together.

We're big into board games and have quite a few. Another good one (if you have some extra budget) is Telestrations. You will be laughing until your sides hurt.

Offline ChEng

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Chief Engineer
« Reply #46 on: April 08, 2020, 12:19:33 PM »
...Unfortunately, with being basically unofficially medically retired (not enough strength/endurance to have any real income, taking money out of our retirement fund to live) those prices are out of my reach. Free to $10 is more along the lines of my budget. ...
For anyone else in my financial situation (or anyone who wishes to conserve their money,) I found a video on a paper Battleship game (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xqrotm6VrBE.) He does not follow the Hasbro rules (different ships,) but it seems pretty playable. I made one of these paper game boards, and will be checking it out later today. If anyone would like the file (MS Word .doc) give me a couple of days to fine-tune it and I will make it available.

Offline David in MN

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #47 on: April 09, 2020, 06:15:14 AM »
I broke a spring on the garage door. I realize it's just normal wear and tear and it would happen eventually but... NOW?

We got the cars out and I clipped the safety line causing it to slam shut and the Mrs. and I had beers and 4 letter words.

The normal wear & tear stuff is a bit hard right now.

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #48 on: April 09, 2020, 08:42:15 AM »
I broke a spring on the garage door. I realize it's just normal wear and tear and it would happen eventually but... NOW?

We got the cars out and I clipped the safety line causing it to slam shut and the Mrs. and I had beers and 4 letter words.

Mmmm yup. Thats about normal.  :facepalm: Good luck finding one. I suppose it's the coiled spring that slides over the overhead shaft.

Offline David in MN

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #49 on: April 11, 2020, 09:54:27 AM »

And I fixed it. I don't think the Mrs. fully understands that I can hang a garage door and how challenging that is. I get no respect!  ;) Now I'm off to make a carrot cake. A very manly carrot cake.

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #50 on: April 11, 2020, 10:06:50 AM »
Now I'm off to make a carrot cake. A very manly carrot cake.

With broken springs on top for deco??  ;D ;D

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #51 on: April 11, 2020, 10:13:07 AM »
https://images.app.goo.gl/dFWo8RWaBdeL6vC57

carrot spirals... to simulate a spring?

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?

Offline David in MN

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #53 on: April 11, 2020, 01:54:39 PM »
Y'all make me laugh and that's saying something these days.

I'll confess something... I'm not big on cake decorating. I'd never last on the baking TV shows. I have a friend who does decorating and she is an utter sorceress in my mind but unless the decoration is part of the dessert like a croquembouche or Sachertorte I'm pretty plain Jane. I have puzzled friends for years because I have no problem piping pate choux and making pastries and I'll do homemade pretzels and such but the "make it look pretty" gene just passed me by.

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #54 on: April 11, 2020, 02:18:13 PM »
Y'all make me laugh and that's saying something these days.

I'll confess something... I'm not big on cake decorating. I'd never last on the baking TV shows. I have a friend who does decorating and she is an utter sorceress in my mind but unless the decoration is part of the dessert like a croquembouche or Sachertorte I'm pretty plain Jane. I have puzzled friends for years because I have no problem piping pate choux and making pastries and I'll do homemade pretzels and such but the "make it look pretty" gene just passed me by.

Hey, it's all about the taste, anyway.

Offline iam4liberty

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #55 on: April 11, 2020, 04:24:19 PM »

Offline Redman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Lost in the 50's
« Reply #56 on: May 06, 2020, 05:32:05 AM »
I've nearly run out of patience with my wife. Constantly worrying about when her hair bender and nail shops will open. She heard on the news yesterday that the TX governor is going to allow them to start opening Monday. She immediately started calling them to see if they were going to open. ::)

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #57 on: May 06, 2020, 06:33:53 AM »
I've nearly run out of patience with my wife. Constantly worrying about when her hair bender and nail shops will open. She heard on the news yesterday that the TX governor is going to allow them to start opening Monday. She immediately started calling them to see if they were going to open. ::)

I am getting anxy about clothing stores.... my kids grew over the winter, and their clothes are either too hot or too small.  Not a life-changer, but moving into the more urgent.

Offline Greekman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #58 on: May 06, 2020, 10:03:11 AM »

Yuor wife was right....And I am telling this cos I know how it feels having not a haircut. My hair look like the guy's in your avatar but lot more fluffy... ;D ;D ;D ;D
Phoned my barber monday, the day salons are allowed to open over here, and he as already booked for 10 days.
Act fast...anyone offering services, ike seamstresses, will be drowned with clientele.

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
« Reply #59 on: May 06, 2020, 10:10:07 AM »
Yuor wife was right....And I am telling this cos I know how it feels having not a haircut. My hair look like the guy's in your avatar but lot more fluffy... ;D ;D ;D ;D
Phoned my barber monday, the day salons are allowed to open over here, and he as already booked for 10 days.
Act fast...anyone offering services, ike seamstresses, will be drowned with clientele.
1 word, clippers

I needed a haircut prior to the lockdown starting.  So 3 weeks into the shutdown and me sweating in the garden, I decided enough is enough.  I had my wife shave it down to a #2 guard on our pet clippers.