Author Topic: Homemade masks  (Read 716 times)

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
Homemade masks
« on: March 25, 2020, 01:54:30 PM »
Here is a way to make a homemade mask from the size "y" HEPA rated vacuum bags.  I cant figure out of the generic bags that dont specifically say HEPA would also work, so I changed my order to get the specific Hoover brand HEPA filter bags, so now I am getting 5 times less bags, because $$.  I am getting the set of 6 bags. SO, only 24 masks could be made.  We have 2 nurses in the family., one is specifically working with COVID-19 patients in CO.  She still has gear, but gets one mask a shift, more personel are off work and she is sometimes taking on extra shifts.   Hopefully our real masks will ramp up in time to not need alternatives, but if not, if you have a few HEPA bags at home, maybe make a few of these for your home use or potential donation if needs must

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6d3twpHwis&feature=youtu.be&fbclid=IwAR0964UzgU36uZBtzfLl-xhJfdB2satT4zp6rfBy1QWh8gWrtM7gT7CtHpc&app=desktop

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07LFW6X2K/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

« Last Edit: March 25, 2020, 02:58:54 PM by FreeLancer »

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Geese Smuggling Moonbat
  • Survival Veteran
  • There are no mistakes, just Learning Experiences
Re: Homemade masks
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2020, 02:45:32 PM »
Here is a way to make a homemade mask from the size "y" HEPA rated vacuum bags.  I cant figure out of the generic bags that dont specifically say HEPA would also work, so I changed my order to get the specific Hoover brand HEPA filter bags, so now I am getting 5 times less bags, because $$.  I am getting the set of 6 bags. SO, only 24 masks could be made.  We have 2 nurses in the family., one is specifically working with COVID-19 patients in CO.  She still has gear, but gets one mask a shift, more personel are off work and she is sometimes taking on extra shifts.   Hopefully our real masks will ramp up in time to not need alternatives, but if not, if you have a few HEPA bags at home, maybe make a few of these for your home use or potential donation if needs must

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07LFW6X2K/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I do not see the pattern, just the amazon link for bags

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2020, 02:53:41 PM »
and here is written instructions in case you tube doesnt run where you are. or you want ot print out for others:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1fW_Qrv_1J26Lgd1kawSWqqyKvbYOY2Fu/view

and the pattern to cut out masks

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1gaiM3yZLalU1_7mlMeLR-3967A8cEu5H/view

Here is the link to Hoover bags that specifically are rates HEPA

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B016TXGFFK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

the link in the OP is for the cheaper generic bags, which might be the same, but I dont know

« Last Edit: March 25, 2020, 03:04:21 PM by mountainmoma »

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2020, 03:01:44 PM »
Fixed the link.

I think this is a great idea for a DIY mask with high filtration capabilities.  Might try it myself.

Offline Greekman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2020, 12:50:42 AM »
a question...are these vaccumm bags made of paper or cloth? Things are different on this side of the pond

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2020, 07:44:32 AM »
We keep hearing over and over that homemade masks are not effective against coronavirus and that homemade masks should be used as a last resort.  I stumbled upon this article about how different materials work for filtering out the virus.

I have no idea if this is a trustworthy source, but it's worth a look.

What Are The Best Materials for Making DIY Masks?

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2020, 10:27:59 AM »
+1 Fritz. That was a great report.

Offline armymars

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2020, 10:42:53 AM »
I wonder if making the mask with twice the surface area would cut down on the effort to breath through it.

Offline Greekman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2020, 11:11:01 AM »
area, like face coverage, or like thickness...

Offline armymars

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2020, 05:20:07 PM »
  Same size opening to the mouth and nose, but a bigger duck bill. You would have to add pipe cleaners to the sides so it wouldn't collapse when you inheld.

Offline Greekman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2020, 01:03:36 AM »
I see...But I think material permeatance plays a role. From a point on the mask area will be inconsequential.
But at the same time, the larger the area the air is suctioned from (I will assume mostly in front of the mount/nose) the longer it will take for the materials to saturate by the micro-droplets suctioned and trapped.

Offline Greekman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2020, 01:14:32 AM »
it seems there is one material better than cotton fabric. Blue shop towels
https://www.businessinsider.com/homemade-mask-using-hydro-knit-shop-towel-filters-better-2020-4?amp

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2020, 06:36:17 AM »
I think that surgical masks are made from polyester hydro knit material.  So it would make sense.

Those Tool Box shop towels are available at Harbor Freight in addition to the link they have to Home Depot.

But no pattern yet.

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2020, 06:37:20 AM »
I think that surgical masks are made from polyester hydro knit material.  So it would make sense.

Those Tool Box shop towels are available at Harbor Freight in addition to the link they have to Home Depot.

But no pattern yet.

could you use these as a filter inside the washable cotton masks?

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2020, 06:46:17 AM »
I would think that it would make the mask filter better. 

Offline NickJ

• Prepper
  • NEVER pick you nose after harvesting pepper seeds!
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2020, 08:35:19 AM »

That's  what they did for testing.
"Inserting two of these towels into an ordinary cotton mask brought filtration up to 93%"

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2020, 09:32:13 AM »
While looking around for more info on the filters that I could use in 3D printed masks, I stumbled upon a good video and tutorial of masks that Unity Point Health in Cedar Rapids is making for their people.

Olson Mask PDF
Instructional video for sewing the Olson mask (COVID-19)

Offline NickJ

• Prepper
  • NEVER pick you nose after harvesting pepper seeds!
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2020, 11:18:58 AM »
While looking around for more info on the filters that I could use in 3D printed masks, I stumbled upon a good video and tutorial of masks that Unity Point Health in Cedar Rapids is making for their people.

Olson Mask PDF
Instructional video for sewing the Olson mask (COVID-19)

In the video they mention making their filters out of HEPA vacuum cleaner bags and inserting them into the mask. you could do the same with the shop towel material. The Suay article mentions the vacuum bags but considers them too restrictive.

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2020, 12:04:29 PM »
In the video, they also recommend using double sided skin tape to get a good seal.  Probably not needed to wear while shopping.  But should probably be used if caring for an infected person.

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2020, 02:11:49 PM »
I decided to try my hand at making an Olson Mask.  I don't sew, but pulled my wife's sewing machine out of the closet.  Start to finish it took me about 45 minutes to sew it up.  If I knew what I was doing, it would have been about 10, but I haven't sewn anything since Home Economics in High School.

So here's my new mask.  I'll be making more for my wife and daughter.  I'll use different fabric though, something that the pattern doesn't need to match up.

I did not use a pipe cleaner in the nose for this one.  I 3D printed a nose piece, that's the curvy thing in this pic.  The hair ties were too small, so on the next one I'll use regular elastic.  The ladder looking thing and the other red thing with hearts are to connect the elastic to so the mask isn't attached to your ears.  Basically makes the loop around to the back of your head.

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2020, 05:32:44 PM »
I was thinking about the hair ties, but was unsure how they would work.  Thanks for doing that experiment for me  :D

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2020, 09:53:07 AM »
Came across this video on a very quick printing frame that makes use of that blue operating room tray material.  It 3D prints quick and since the filter is fabric squares, each person can carry around a fresh supply of filter material.

https://youtu.be/xVYypLYEo_0

I also stumbled upon this page at the National Institutes of Health.  These are all approved models or models currently being tested.  Of course to meet the requirements, all instructions for these must be followed precisely.

COVID-19 Supply Chain Response

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2020, 10:21:20 AM »
I also stumbled upon this page at the National Institutes of Health.  These are all approved models or models currently being tested.  Of course to meet the requirements, all instructions for these must be followed precisely.

Lot's of ingenuity on display, there.

Offline armymars

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2020, 08:20:09 AM »
Here in Michigan they found a way to clean the m95 masks. First UV light then heat them to 165 degrees for 30 min.