Author Topic: Miscellaneous side-effects of the COVID-19 situation  (Read 5701 times)

Offline Mr. Bill

• Like a hot cocoa mojito
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • Trained Attack Sheepdog/Troll hunter
    • Website Maintenance and Online Presence Management by Mr. Bill
Miscellaneous side-effects of the COVID-19 situation
« on: March 26, 2020, 08:46:11 PM »
This topic is for news that is related to the coronavirus but not about the coronavirus.

Forest Service pauses prescribed fire across pacific northwest

The USDA Forest Service is pausing all spring prescribed fire efforts on national forest lands across the states of Oregon and Washington.

“We care deeply about our communities across the region and didn’t want to risk introducing smoke from prescribed fire into communities that may be affected by COVID-19,” said John Giller, Director of Fire and Aviation Management for the Pacific Northwest Region of the USDA Forest Service. “With this pause, we can better protect those who may also be in higher-risk groups for COVID-19, such as the elderly and those with underlying respiratory conditions.”

While frequent, low-intensity fire is essential to the long-term health of many northwest forests and communities, employee and public safety remains the top priority.

The Forest Service Pacific Northwest Region contains 17 National Forests, a National Scenic Area, a National Grassland, and two National Volcanic Monuments, all within the States of Oregon and Washington.

Difficult decision.  Hard to know how that will impact smoke levels during the summer wildfire season.

Offline suzysurvivor

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
Re: Miscellaneous side-effects of the COVID-19 situation
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2020, 04:42:56 PM »
the whining and complaining about having to stay at home.

I don't know a SINGLE soul who doesn't say 'oh, if i only had more time, i'd XXXX'.  And now that they've been given that 'gift', they are complaining about it.  Like they say in Texas, 'some people would b*tch if ya hung 'em with a new rope'. 

Offline David in MN

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2020, 09:07:50 AM »
The confusion is something that has been tough. Wisconsin made all state parks free so people could go for a walk. Chicago banned walking on the waterfront. Californians must isolate unless you're homeless and then all bets are off. Minnesota did a "lockdown" and we don't even know what that means. They're making up rules by the day. My city passed an emergency act so that city hall can close the freeway. What would that provide?

It iss nice to hear that many civic people like Donald Trump and Andrew Cuomo are starting to say that we need to start having a multi-tier approach and start wrapping our heads around how to manage based on age, wellness, and really get a feeling for how many of us already had the Wuhan flu. And maybe the best choices for New York and Iowa are different.

I'm sympathetic that it's a difficult situation but we need an accurate assessment and a clear policy.

Offline Chemsoldier

• Pot Stirrer
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2020, 10:03:29 AM »
Leading through ambiguity.

For us as citizens, we need to have mental bins for  "information" and "action items."

The rules for social distancing in your area are action items.  CDC guidance on the nuts and bolts of preventing spread (distsnces, disinfecting procedures, etc) are action items.  You use the second to help you make decisions in conjunction with the first.  There are things that are in accordance with the first that are probably not prudent...choose not to do them.

What the rules are in places you are not in, its just information. Dont worry about it unless you are talking to someone there about what you should do.

I think the growing awareness that different places need different procedures is indeed heartening

Offline David in MN

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2020, 01:42:31 PM »
Some things are downright confusing. Like the retrospect of 'maybe we should have cancelled Mardi Gras' or 'when do we close the NYC subway?'

Other things are just bizarre like the state of California shutting down the courts. So in Cali you don't have a right to a speedy trial anymore and if you get picked up for some stupid misdemeanor you get to wait 60 days in county lockup?

Then there's how many hundred millions learning on the fly how to homeschool.

Yup, there's a lot of strange things that we are learning. I've heard people who are saying that handshakes are a thing of the past. Well we adopted the handshake to prove we had no concealed weapons. Us Germans click glasses because as our beers slosh into one anothers' glass to prove we're not poisoning anyone. Even the military salute is a standby from knights lifting visors (look at a Brit salute if you doubt). I think a lot of centuries old traditions might die out.

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2020, 01:45:42 PM »
Some things are downright confusing. Like the retrospect of 'maybe we should have cancelled Mardi Gras' or 'when do we close the NYC subway?'

Other things are just bizarre like the state of California shutting down the courts. So in Cali you don't have a right to a speedy trial anymore and if you get picked up for some stupid misdemeanor you get to wait 60 days in county lockup?

Then there's how many hundred millions learning on the fly how to homeschool.

Yup, there's a lot of strange things that we are learning. I've heard people who are saying that handshakes are a thing of the past. Well we adopted the handshake to prove we had no concealed weapons. Us Germans click glasses because as our beers slosh into one anothers' glass to prove we're not poisoning anyone. Even the military salute is a standby from knights lifting visors (look at a Brit salute if you doubt). I think a lot of centuries old traditions might die out.

No-one waits in county lock up in California, even before this pandemic.  No Bail is needed, that would be so unfair to require bail.  What is going to happen is that they are not even going to get more probation for violating their last probation.

Of course, not even being picked up or moved on by the police is going to embolden, and not just in Ca.

True story from a few days ago in a west coast coastal area :  Some drugged out guy drives around the barriers into closed campground, the bathrooms are locked, so he takes off his clothes at some random faucet outside, he has soiled himself, of course.  Fecal contamination now, naked guy.  Law enforcement is called, no-one wants to touch him.  He is demanding stuff, he tells them he has the virus, which of course he made up, but he could have it and not know it or Hepatitis or any number of things.  So, he is demanding a 50 pound bag of dogfood and sandwiches before he will leave.  Eventually someone realizes that they might know where they can get dog food, so it is fetched.  Guy says, that's not 50 pounds, they convince him, it is the best they can do....they put the dog food in a plastic grocery bag on the end of a shovel and try and keep distance.  Of course, now they have an area with fecal contamination. 

This type of thing is why more rural areas all over are trying to discourage other people from driving there.  This is why the campground was closed. It is likely why my area was shut down as early as it was.  This guy was not from that area ( if he was he would have known where to go to get food and to not mess so much with LEO's who are usually more  enforcement orientated in that area.  The thing is, LEO all over is going to not want to be hands on enforcement, which means keep out all the extra crazies from other places, ie., inland people driving to the coast.  New Yorkers trying to go to RI, or maybe anywhere (?) etc...

We did hear of a couple young aquaintances who escaped Louisiana 11 days ago, they had been living/working there, but left all and drove cross country.  They are very responsibly self quarantining for 14 days somewhere with friends and will then go to their older family house once they know they are safe.  But, others will leave places and just go with no connections at the other end and no responsible actions
« Last Edit: March 28, 2020, 02:03:50 PM by mountainmoma »

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2020, 11:22:00 PM »
A few tidbits from a local crime blotter, so you can see that we just dont lock them up, well, if they kill someone we do, I dont know for how long though. 

This is obviously in California, in a relatively small city/county, this is part of what happened just last week.  do not let your area re-structure, pass a new law, claim they will only let non-violent criminals not do jail time -- their definition and yours is not the same for non-violent

There is one more of these, but I put it on the related to corona virus crime sub-thread as that one is for what even here would be "violent" these below are "non-violent" 

A 32 year old transient was arrested and is facing charges that include possession of burglary tools, commercial burglary and conspiracy to commit a crime. He’s been arrested 4 times locally in the past 5 months.

PD responded to some kind of altercation involving two males fighting in the lobby of Denny’s ------- ----. One man was possibly holding some kind of weapon. Arrested 19 times locally since 2015. We’ve been coddling this clown for the past 5 years. ........  Then around 6 hours later, -- PD responded to an alarm going off at --- ---- Pawn on ----- Street, where they saw the same guy jogging away with an antique black powder style pistol that he had stolen from the pawnshop. The 27 year old transient was again arrested for commercial burglary. Living up to his title!

PD responded to the 100 block of High Street where they arrested a 24 year frequent flyer on the County Shuffle for burglary. He’s been arrested locally 18 times in the past 8 months. He was arrested 9 times in one week last July

Police responded to -- --- --- ---  Drive where they arrested a 65 year old man for making criminal threats, possession of a sawed off shotgun, and resisting arrest. This is right next to a pretty major intersection for --- ---- ----- His bail was set at $25K and he’s out of jail already. He was also arrested (and obviously released) 2 weeks ago.

deputies responded to ---- ---- ---- ----- for a report of a roommate disturbance of some kind. When they arrived, they found one man who attacked another with a sickle of some kind. They also found methamphetamine on him. He was arrested but only for a few hours. His bail was set at $25K and he bonded out.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2020, 11:39:05 PM by mountainmoma »

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2020, 11:11:02 PM »
no better time than an quarantine emergency to have public gatherings to protest for your rights

I saw cell phone video of the patient local-ish PD trying to communicate with the homeless food distributors that they would need to leave soon, that the area ( a public fountain area) was going to be fenced off as it was drawing crowds.
Well, they would consider it, but only if the new place was alot better.... They know their rights and no-one can make them disperse, this kind of unreasonable demand -- to move to a provided area that will allow 6 feet between each tent, abundant porta-potties, lots of hand washing stations, security, medical and social services provided, along with food, etc... -- is just more proof that this is a police state !
  Yes, the transient element is also entitled around here, even in an emergency.  There is no convincing even the people that say they are their "advocates" that the county is only trying to keep them safer during the disease outbreak. This must be where part of the federal money is being used in California. 

I hear that in other areas the healthcare workers are being heroic, dong much with little, etc...And, it is a very tough position to be in in a pandemic, no doubt.

But, in this hospital the nurses walked off the job and the previous shift nurses just had to stay and work overtime to cover for them.  There is no surge of patients yet. I dont even know if that hospital has a COVID-19 patient yet, it might.  But, they violated the mass gatherings emergency law that is in effect, and no -one broke it up.  The article says they were standing 6 feet apart, but the picture shows otherwise.  Just doesnt seem the right way to go about this.

https://www.santacruzsentinel.com/2020/03/30/photos-coronavirus-watsonville-community-hospital-nurses-walk-out/

The Watsonville Community Hospital said in a prepared statement that it is disappointed the union is more focused on distracting public displays than working with the hospital to prepare for a surge of COVID-19 patients. The hospital is also surprised that the union would organize a public gathering when they are discouraged.

My understanding is the central coast area is not slated to get a surge of patients for another 2 weeks.  Right now in California there are other denser population areas that need stuff NOW like the L.A. area.  It would be foolish to send extras to this hospital that are needed more elsewhere, and more stuff is going to be distributed later, and if there is a shortage, they wouldnt want to use everything up now too.

But, this part of California is all about the protests

Offline Packerfan78

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2020, 12:54:51 AM »
I have increased a lot of the urgency in my homesteading projects. For example, i built a much larger chicken coup with a rain water storage unit. I also plan on building an outhouse by my livestock. I have been planning this because i was sick of having people with muddy boots come into my house to use the bathroom. I am on septic so in toilet paper shortage we will be in bad shape. An outhouse will be a cheap back up if we run out of toilet paper and have to use newspaper.

Offline Greekman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2020, 03:34:34 PM »
I think people are starting loosing it....and not just steaming off, i mean gradually slipping, the way real crazy oeple ar doing and nobody notices until the biog boom.

Most of the people i know are now edging on a conspiracy theory or another, even people who seemed serious or at least hid their beliefs well.

People are getting antsy on religion too. From the time ti was strongly suggest people abstain from any religious ceremonies and communion too, hard believers are getting angrier and louder.
There is a call to gather en mass outside the churches during the Good Days and Easter day ceremonies and pray ...

Offline Carver

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2020, 03:49:45 PM »
What has been already an unpredictable presidential campaign is going to really get bizarre due to the ramifications of the epidemic.

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Geese Smuggling Moonbat
  • Survival Veteran
  • There are no mistakes, just Learning Experiences
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2020, 04:32:51 PM »
I have increased a lot of the urgency in my homesteading projects. For example, i built a much larger chicken coup with a rain water storage unit.

no chicks at my farm store, no orders being taken, and no deliveries for another 3 weeks.  The hatcheries are overwhelmed, and cannot ship any more or any faster than they are, because the WHOLE country wants chicks.
I wasn't sure if I wanted more chicks, but I went to that section of the farm store anyway; I didn't hear the ubiquitous cheeping I hear every spring, and I was curious.  It looks like I need to find out which feline is eating my eggs and take care of it.  I have not bothered before now because mostly we keep the poultry for bug control, not eggs.

Offline Mr. Bill

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2020, 04:40:21 PM »
The front door on our new house is broken because of COVID-19.

Okay, the door is broken because apparently someone left the deadbolt extended during construction, and the wind slammed it shut and split the door.

The builder ordered a new door for us... but someone at the door factory tested positive for the coronavirus, so they had a several-day shut-down for decontamination.

I think we may see a lot of oddities like this -- delays or unavailability just because some company in the supply chain needed clean-up.

Offline NickJ

• Prepper
  • NEVER pick you nose after harvesting pepper seeds!
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2020, 06:08:59 PM »
no chicks at my farm store,

I ordered some pullets from a local farm and they didn't want customers to let anyone know where they got then. They have been inundated  with people looking for birds and are concerned about thefts.

Offline Mr. Bill

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2020, 09:23:48 PM »
AP, 4/1/20: Feds: Man intentionally derailed LA train near hospital ship

...Eduardo Moreno, 44, was charged with one count of train wrecking, prosecutors said. It wasn't immediately known if he has an attorney.

Moreno acknowledged in two separate interviews with law enforcement that he intentionally derailed and crashed the train near the Mercy, according to the criminal complaint.

“You only get this chance once. The whole world is watching. I had to," Moreno told investigators, according to the complaint. "People don’t know what’s going on here. Now they will.”

Moreno said he was suspicious of the Mercy and believed it had an alternate purpose related to COVID-19 or a government takeover, an affidavit states. ...

Phillip Sanfield, spokesman for the Port of Los Angeles, said the locomotive never came close to the Mercy.

“It would have had to have gone several hundred yards through a parking lot and cross a water channel to reach the ship,” Sanfield said. ...

The CHP officer reported seeing “the train smash into a concrete barrier at the end of the track, smash into a steel barrier, smash into a chain-link fence, slide through a parking lot, slide across another lot filled with gravel, and smash into a second chain-link fence,” according to an affadavit.

Offline Prepper456

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2020, 10:08:24 AM »
AP, 4/1/20: Feds: Man intentionally derailed LA train near hospital ship

those damn conspiracy theorists

Offline David in MN

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2020, 08:40:13 AM »
How about the improved health aspect? I see this two-fold:

First, there's a telegraphed illness a-coming. Maybe time to get the body ready. No kidding, I cut my nightly whiskey back to twice per week just to keep up hydration. I also really started watching my diet and vitamin intake intensely. I'm going to take a guess that smoking cessation is vastly on the rise as well. It's one of those odd things. If I told you there was good odds you'd get the seasonal flu or pneumonia in the next month you might make different health choices.

Second, the junk food's been picked over. But the fresh stuff seems in good supply. Same with the meat. It's the processed stuff that went quick but whole cuts are still there. Well, you're trapped at home, on a budget, with nothing to do, and internet connection... We can all start cooking with real ingredients. It's not that hard to roast a chicken and make a bone broth with the leftovers. Even with very simple techniques great dishes are possible. We could have a renaissance of home cooking.

It's a combination that yields improved public health. Add on that a lot of us have little else to do but take a family walk (although I'll confess we are loving that I built a basic home gym) we might see a healthier lifestyle emerge.

Offline chrisdfw

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2020, 11:20:12 PM »
Is anything positive allowed?

I talked to my father on the phone for almost 2 hours the other night. My dads brother (my uncle) talked to his dad (my grandfather) for over an hour. We all work from home (although my grandad lives behind his auto repair shop... he's 89) or are retired, but the extra time seems like a gift for some of us.

I'm not all feeling like its mai tai's and yahtzee (movie reference, bonus points if you know the movie) as I've seen the downsides too, but its also not all bad.

Offline Greekman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2020, 12:07:03 AM »
people are getting more and more accustom to technology.

me, i spend dome hours yesterday on teleconference in FB and Skype. Wicth i avoided for the extra hassle.. Now I will be trying an app that converts my phone to a web cam.

And the Greek state managed to setup remote transactions and teleconference schooling within weeks, even though the thing was discussed but not applied for years.

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2020, 06:22:01 AM »
I'm not all feeling like its mai tai's and yahtzee (movie reference, bonus points if you know the movie) as I've seen the downsides too, but its also not all bad.

I do see a whole lot of good coming out of this.  Reconnections with family and friends.  A contraction of "if-I-want-it-I-need-it-NOW" mentality.  A whole bunch of young people who have never been told NO and meant it are suddenly getting a Hard Stop on their behaviors.  People are re-evaluating what is important in their lives.

Offline Chemsoldier

• Pot Stirrer
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2020, 08:11:48 AM »
Ham radio nets in my area have surged in participation.

People seem more interested in local news.

Despite distancing, we are talking to our neighbors more while on walks or over fences. We are talking to our next door neighbors about have a simultaneous backyard BBQ.  We will each do our own thing at the same time.

Offline ChEng

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Chief Engineer
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2020, 09:05:29 AM »
How about the improved health aspect? ...
David,
I had noticed that the Mrs., and I have stepped up our health stuff (increased vitamins, better food, more exercise, etc.,) but had not really thought about it as an effect of the pandemic. Of course, it really is, I had just not considered it. I just wanted us to build up our health a bit, just in case...

Offline Mr. Bill

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2020, 09:14:06 AM »
Seems like non-personal phone calls are a bit more personal -- sharing commiseration and best wishes with random salespeople and customer service folks.  Like we're all remembering that the person on the other end of the line is a fellow human being, and not just a business contact.

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2020, 09:48:51 AM »
Seems like non-personal phone calls are a bit more personal -- sharing commiseration and best wishes with random salespeople and customer service folks.  Like we're all remembering that the person on the other end of the line is a fellow human being, and not just a business contact.

I think that is true! I also find myself adding a little note on work emails, wishing the other person wellness and safety...

Offline Carver

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2020, 10:10:39 AM »
I put together a poster adapting the Golden Rule to the present situation:

Offline PorcupineKate

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Head Weed Puller
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2020, 08:51:53 AM »
A couple of good things because I need to focus on positives right now.

I had my first medical consultation over the internet this morning.  It was a follow up appointment and I loved it.  I didn't have to go anywhere and waste and hour and a half of my time to spend 15 minutes with the doctor.  I hope this doesn't go away once the worst of the isolation measures are over.

The online quilting groups I are sewing masks like crazy right now out of high quality quilting cotton. They are burning through their scrap piles to make masks for friends, family and any health providers who request them.  There are patterns now for wearing over a N95 mask to extend the life of the mask for those in the medical professions.  I am waiting on a shipment of more elastic before I start binge making masks. 

I am  talking to my neighbors more.  There are only 4 of us on our little street and plenty of room to keep 20 to 30 feet away.  We are sharing our eggs with them and helping one of them with their garden.   

A group of people who have recovered from the virus have donated blood to help develop a vaccine.  https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2020/04/01/new-york-synagogue-members-donate-blood-help-fight-covid-19/5101844002/

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2020, 01:42:24 PM »
Boris Johnson is now in ICU and control of the government passed to the next in line of succession.

Offline David in MN

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2020, 04:08:24 PM »
Here's a real weird one out of left field that's come up. Several years back I spent about $800 on a set of Powerblock adjustable weights that go from 10-90 lbs. I have a bench, kettlebells, battle ropes, a heavy bag, double end bag, Bulgarian bag, sledge hammer and tire, medicine balls, box jumps, agility ropes, and probably stuff I'm forgetting.

I did all this because I detest working out with other people. Public gyms are basically where women bench the bar and in between sets read and idiot guys collect all the dumbells so they can superset down. No thanks. Besides I doubt the local gym would let me do half the stuff I do.

One of the weird things I'm up to is discovering new workouts and exercises. My wife was VERY grateful after her gym closed that we had options. I have had friends text their jealousy.

I basically built an at home training camp because I like to work out by myself. Never thought it would be a pandemic prep. But to be able to burn off some steam with a variety of workouts and keep the mind focused is awesome.

Offline Chemsoldier

• Pot Stirrer
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2020, 06:06:51 PM »
So...umm...we got a bidet seat for the toilet about 6 months ago.  It has definitely reduced the throughput of s**t tickets. #silverlinings

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2020, 08:03:33 PM »
So...umm...we got a bidet seat for the toilet about 6 months ago. 

We bought one also, a few years ago.. still haven't gotten around to setting it up.  It has definitely been bumped up the priority list.