Author Topic: Miscellaneous side-effects of the COVID-19 situation  (Read 4691 times)

Offline ChEng

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Chief Engineer
Re: Miscellaneous side-effects of the COVID-19 situation
« Reply #60 on: May 26, 2020, 07:36:30 PM »
https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2020/05/25/report-national-lockdown-in-italy-drives-30-increase-in-divorces/
Report: National Lockdown in Italy Drives 30% Increase in Divorces
I've heard stuff like this before. Not this specific country, nor this specific number, but that domestic troubles have gone sky high.

That is why I changed my schedule to spend a full hour for breakfast with my wife, and another hour for lunch, followed by an hour specifically for playing games, talking, or otherwise spending time with her. We also spend 20-30 minutes, several times a day, sitting on our swing, enjoying each other's company. You don't get to 40 years of great marriage without putting a lot of work into it - but it's well worth it. (Ephesians 5:25 - "Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her" - I'll gladly give myself up for Mrs. ChEng.)

Offline iam4liberty

• Survival Veteran
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #61 on: May 26, 2020, 07:41:29 PM »

You don't get to 40 years of great marriage without putting a lot of work into it - but it's well worth it. (Ephesians 5:25 - "Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her" - I'll gladly give myself up for Mrs. ChEng.)

Congrats on the 40 years!  Lots of wisdom here.

Offline ChEng

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Chief Engineer
« Reply #62 on: May 27, 2020, 04:25:53 AM »
Congrats on the 40 years!  Lots of wisdom here.
Thanks, actually 40 this December, I've been blessed with a great gal. And that wisdom was hard-earned; I often say that I wish I had the body I had when I was a kid of 20, but I would not be willing to give up the wisdom to get that body.  ;)

Offline Hurricane

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #63 on: June 30, 2020, 03:31:22 PM »
If the schools stay closed into the fall, we might find ourselves transitioning to All on-line education a lot sooner than we once thought.
Think of the money we would save! No need for school buildings. No buses.
The more dedicated teachers could monitor the on-line programs.

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #64 on: June 30, 2020, 09:49:23 PM »
We're actually hoping it continues online in the fall... it will make it easier for our younger son to take a couple of courses remotely from his old university while he waits to transition here in another state...

Offline Prepper456

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #65 on: July 01, 2020, 07:24:42 AM »
If the schools stay closed into the fall, we might find ourselves transitioning to All on-line education a lot sooner than we once thought.
Think of the money we would save! No need for school buildings. No buses.
The more dedicated teachers could monitor the on-line programs.

think about more people on unemployment, think about more latchkey kids home alone as both parents work one or more jobs each, think about how easy it would be for kids to skip their classes, but i will bet you that there will still be school sports, as god forbid that those programs like football will be cut

Offline iam4liberty

• Survival Veteran
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #66 on: July 01, 2020, 08:15:43 AM »
We are opening all our schools in fall.  In fact, we should be removing all remaing business restrictines starting Friday.  That's the advantage of doing widespread antibidy and active virus testing, proper contact tracing, quarantining only those ill, and not promoting riots.  In other words, putting science above politics.

Offline iam4liberty

• Survival Veteran
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #67 on: July 01, 2020, 01:45:45 PM »
In fact, we should be removing all remaing business restrictines starting Friday.

Well, the governor decided to keep some of the reduced bar, restaurant, entertainment venue restrictions on for another two weeks because of potential issues with surrounding states.  Otherwise our restrictions are off on Friday.

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #68 on: August 03, 2020, 06:29:11 PM »
Misc information I have heard in this area about schools this fall.

First was overhearing a few parents talking at an event I was at a few weeks ago, their children go to a very small private school, and they were talking to an employee about how their kids could play outside without masks and not have other random people walking by freak out, as the play area is right next to a relavtively busy street.  The takeaway is that this group (1) wants their kids to stay in school like usual, no restrictions (2) they are not at all worried about the virus being spread in this way as they figure we all need to get it and this area does not have any overwhelming issues, almost no deaths, only a very small number of people ever hospitalized. 

Second thing was 2 days ago where a parent of school aged children told me that the large homeschool charter school now has a waiting list of 600 students.  Unless there are new state restrictions, the only thing holding them back is logistics and hiring.  Getting thru the paperwork to enroll them and hiring enough teachers and support staff.  So, certainly credentialed teachers are a hot item.  I have no idea how the every 3 or 4 week in person meetings are done.  Maybe some  are meeting outside with masks on, etc... certainly that is very easy to work around -- I just found out, they went to ZOOM meetings for the remainder of last spring, so that is also an option if things close down more again.  The hold up is hiring.