Author Topic: Sauerbraten  (Read 402 times)

Offline David in MN

• Survival Demonstrator
Sauerbraten
« on: March 30, 2020, 09:49:00 AM »
I'm going to try to tackle this one knowing up front it's one of those old world recipes that people will stab you in the heart if you don't make their grandma's version. This dish can run the gamut from super sweet to deeply sour and whatever way you like it is probably right. For you. But I grew up in a household that despised sweets so you're going to get a more sour fatty version from me.

Get a slab of cheap beef. The cheaper the better; we're doing an impoverished German dish here so... I'd go with silverside (some call it bottom round)

Here's where I'm going to get the ninja stars from some. I lard it. That means I make very many cuts into it and stuff in raw pieces of bacon. It's an old trick for dry cuts of meat that suck.

Then I marinade and I'll get flak here too. I boil an onion, a celery stalk, and a carrot for a bit and cool it and add dry white wine, pepper, and apple cider vinegar. A little salt and sugar (turbinado) and it all goes in the fridge. 3 day soak.

Then I fry a couple onions, brown the meat on all sides, add the strained marinade and boil for as long as it takes, usually a couple hours is right.

Rather than the traditional ginger snaps (ninja stars again) I put garlic, ginger, and parsley through a meat grinder as the flavoring and dump it in for about the last half hour. I'm not a sweet tooth guy and that seems right for me.

Now mine is very savory and laden with porky goodness so I would serve it with potato pancakes and sour cream.

That said, this is my family way. If you grew up using red wine, red wine vinegar, ginger snaps, TONS of brown sugar or even molasses I'm not saying you're wrong. Virtually any of the ingredients could be doubled or halved so measurement is to taste. I'll be curious if others have an opinion.

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
Re: Sauerbraten
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2020, 11:12:06 AM »
Thank you!!! Can't wait to try it. I would be interested in knowing the quantities you used for the marinade (proportions). How much liquid is left from the onion, celery and carrot... how much vinegar, etc.

Also, the garlic, ginger and parsley... how much of each?

Offline David in MN

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2020, 12:22:50 PM »
I hate to be a jerk but it's all to taste. And depends on how much beef you have which in these cuts can swing wildly. It's one of those things grandma would fiddle with until it was just right. That's kind of the problem with these "Goldilocks" recipes. A lot of times things like this werejust a way to empty veggies that were getting old.

Food of the poor.

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2020, 07:37:49 AM »
Well... I'm very comfortable making modifications to suit, but I need at least a starting point... even just a rough idea would make me more confident to try this out.

Offline Carver

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2020, 08:12:38 AM »
Well... I'm very comfortable making modifications to suit, but I need at least a starting point... even just a rough idea would make me more confident to try this out.
In rejection of the adage "too many cooks spoil the stew", I never follow one way of doing anything, I always consult numerous versions. So when I "follow" David's method of making this I would look up who else did it and how, including grandma. And to the specific question as to quantities of the spices, I've found that it is more likely to do more harm by not putting on enough spices than to put on too much.

Offline David in MN

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2020, 09:36:19 AM »
I'd start at about 2.5 cups of water, .5 cup vinegar, and 1 Tbsp sugar and go from there. Many would add a bay leaf or a few cloves too. Lots of options.

Offline CarbideAndIron

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Steve
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2020, 12:43:20 PM »
Sounds delicious. I used to live by a great authentic European food place. The owners were a Polish family that made delicous Sauerbraten, Jagerschnitzel, Rouladen, Spatzle, etc....I will have to give this a shot, cause it's not like you can find that kind of food many places.