Author Topic: Mid Summer to Late Fall Orchard  (Read 171 times)

Offline jbarney

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Mid Summer to Late Fall Orchard
« on: May 17, 2020, 07:30:07 PM »
Hi,

It has been a while since I posted but I am looking for some suggestions on how I can help turn part of my three acres into an area that can produce apples for nearly 4 months straight.  So I am doing my research, but posting here is part of that process, I hope.  I currently have 3 apple trees that are kinda termed "wild"....in Zone 4 up here in Vermont they start to drop on the early side.  Last year we were getting fruit start to drop in the very late August through early to mid September range.  I have a number of other trees that I have already planted, and one that should start producing fruit soon, but was planted by the previous owners, so I am not sure of the type.

Basically I am searching for different types of apple trees that would extend the harvest.....I don't think early apples are a priority yet, although I am aware that there are some that start to drop in very late July or early August.

My real priority is to try to grab some types of apple trees that push the lateness of the season....at least well into October and some even into early November if possible.  I know there are some out there for Zone 4 that some publications say do produce that late into the season, but if I am going to buy some of these, I thought I would check with some of you first.

The ones that I am interested based on the research I have done so far are.....Rhode Island Greening, Ashmeads Kernal, and Black Oxford but I thought I would ask you folks.

Thanks.

Offline PorcupineKate

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Head Weed Puller
Re: Mid Summer to Late Fall Orchard
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2020, 12:19:45 PM »
I have a Baldwin Apple tree. It is a winter storage apple originally from Vermont.  I purchased mine from Fedco so it was grown in Maine.  I am hoping to get fruit from it for the first time this year so I can't tell you about the taste or storage quality.

https://www.fedcoseeds.com/trees/baldwin-apple-107

Offline David in MN

• Survival Demonstrator
Re: Mid Summer to Late Fall Orchard
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2020, 02:16:29 PM »
Zone 4 you will be limited in choices. Ask me how I know. That said, you can grow the Honeycrisp developed here for our cold winters. I'm spending more time each year looking at putting in a Zestar. Also, do some work at the U of  MN Ag Extension program, they have helped me quite a bit and when they come look at my yard it's one of those "dude, you're awesome" things.

https://extension.umn.edu/

Are you wedded to apples? I only ask because in cold climate we get more success with berries and tart cherries. Hazelnut also grows well for me. Not that I'm complaining about my Honeycrisp but you have some options and some wiggle room. The U of MN also develops grapes cold hardy.

So many choices.