Author Topic: Why are MRAD scopes so hard to find?  (Read 1049 times)

Offline Black November

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Lifetime MSB & PermaEthos Founding Member
Why are MRAD scopes so hard to find?
« on: June 10, 2020, 11:17:57 PM »
Is it just me or are MRAD scopes very hard to find? All I see are MOA.

I recently picked up a Ruger American Predator in .308, and I thought it might be fun to purchase a MRAD scope and get more familiar with Mils since all my other rifles are MOA. I am not sure why the scope selection is so limited given that MRAD is widely used by LEO/Military.

I was hoping for under $300

Offline Elkhitman

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Re: Why are MRAD scopes so hard to find?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2020, 07:15:58 PM »
They aren’t, for $300 you will have to get onto some forums and maybe find a used one. Maybe Snipershide or Long-range hunting. Here’s a Vortex Diamondback https://www.eurooptic.com/Vortex-Diamondback-Tactical-FFP-Riflescope-6-24x50-MRAD-DBK-10029.aspx#Write

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1438414-REG/vortex_dbk_10027_4_16x44_diamondback_tactical_riflescope.html

Offline Davew223

• Survivor
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2020, 12:24:57 AM »
https://www.swfa.com/swfa-ss-hd-3-9x42-tactical-30mm-riflescope.html?___SID=U

Seriously look at this one, their HD glass and tracking are on par with Nightforce, Schmidt & Bender etc.  Huge selection and fantastic customer service.  Optics Planet is also a good place to look.  Go to http://www.opticstalk.com/ for reviews and research.

Offline David in MN

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2020, 03:57:09 PM »
Well, you're an American. No, really... that's the issue. We find MOA very intuitive. We don't think in metric. That said, as I've gotten into longer range shooting I've found that MRAD is kind of preferred because the math is a little simpler. ANd flexible because 1 MRAD is 1 meter at 1000 meters, 1 yard at 1000 yards, or 1 mile at 1000 miles. It's a radian angular measure. But we came of age in the states where we try our darndest for "sub-MOA" groups. We even define a rifle by MOA.

I have Bushnell scopes on my .338 and 6.5 Creedmoor  which are my 2 long range guns. Both are very expensive (DMR ii Pro and LRTS) but at their top line it's all MRAD. Different companies vary on this but I suspect you'll find that high end scopes made for long range shooting skew MRAD.

I think you'll do yourself a service getting into MRAD because of international push. I'm sure you've noticed that .223 and .308 don't get NATO designation. Our military is already shifting metric and while I prefer the Imperial System for day to day use metric really shines in quick conversions.

Good luck!

Offline iam4liberty

• Survival Veteran
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2020, 10:32:18 PM »
Well, you're an American. No, really... that's the issue. We find MOA very intuitive. We don't think in metric.

And this is critical for range estimation, a primary purpose of using such a reticle.  You need to generally know the width/height of various objects in length units that correspond easily (in approximate whole numbers) to the angular units.  This way you can quickly use these two facts to estimate the distance.    So, if you know sizes in inches, then it is easier to use inches and MOA to estimate yards to target.  If you know sizes in centimeters then it is easier to use centimeters and MRAD to estimate meters to target. 

Distance to Target (Yards) ~ Size in Inches / Size in MOA * 100

Distance to Target (Meters) = Size in Centimeters / Size in Mils * 10

This said, while scopes are somewhat easier to find in MOA in the sub $400 range, MRAD dominate the higher price offerings.  That is where the overwhelming popularity with military and law enforcement shows its dominance. 
« Last Edit: September 12, 2020, 10:58:24 PM by iam4liberty »