Author Topic: String Length  (Read 1508 times)

UncleJoe

String Length
« on: September 11, 2009, 08:30:56 PM »
Went to a farm auction last weekend and picked up, among other things, a couple of older bows for $11. One is a kids bow, thin fiberglass, about 48" long with a 25# - 30# pull. The other is a recurve. It's 62" long and the name on it is Marksman Deluxe. I know it's just a cheap bow but for $10 I couldn't pass it up. It has one small problem though. No string. I haven't had a chance to take it to a shop yet so I thought I would ask here. What would the string length be on a 62" recurve? I still have the recurve I used as a teenager and the string on that is about 6" shorter than the bow. Is that about average, or will it vary from one bow to the next. Thanks 

Offline DeltaEchoVictor

• Evil Forum Overlord
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Vincit Omnia Veritas
Re: String Length
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2009, 09:04:05 PM »
For a recurve you need a string that's 4" shorter than the marked AMO length on the bow. 

If the bow isn't marked with it's AMO length then measure along the belly of the bow from nock groove to nock groove, then subtract 4 from the length you get after measuring. 

I prefer a flemish twist string myself, but whatever type you get make sure to wax it good before use.  Also, you'll need to let the string stretch a bit before you final tune the bow.  Measure your brace height after putting the new string on, then shoot it a few times then re-check your brace height, you'll find it's stretched.  That's normal for a new string.  It can take several days, or shooting sessions before the string has stopped stretching.