Author Topic: Small inexpensive motor boats ?  (Read 530 times)

Offline surfivor

• Survival Veteran
Small inexpensive motor boats ?
« on: July 05, 2020, 07:39:27 PM »

I'm looking for recommendations on a small motor boat that I would use to explore lakes in Maine for camping or the like. There's many lakes in the state with primitive campsites. I am not sure if such a boat could fit on a Rav 4 roof or if a trailer would be the only option. It would need to be able to carry two people plus a lot of camping gear, be seaworthy for some waves, and be able to do maybe 10 or 15 mph, nothing too fancy. No steering wheel or console, no speedometer or none of that, no awning or cover just a boat with a small motor. I see a lot of flat bottomed jon boats but I had the impression that maybe they are not good for any rough water. I guess something like a zodiac raft is also a possibility. I am not sure about the pros and cons. At this point, this is just a research project and I am not about to go out and buy a boat this year or anytime soon

Offline CarbideAndIron

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Steve
Re: Small inexpensive motor boats ?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2020, 05:50:49 AM »
I don't know much about them, but seeing Zodiacs on the web around here in the PNW, they aren't cheap. I see 12ft aluminum boats for better prices. It just depends how adventurous you are with the chop on one. My buddy fishes the bay out here on his little aluminum boat. Seems sketchy to me, but I don't think a lake would be worse than that.

Offline surfivor

• Survival Veteran
Re: Small inexpensive motor boats ?
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2020, 08:06:42 AM »
I don't know much about them, but seeing Zodiacs on the web around here in the PNW, they aren't cheap. I see 12ft aluminum boats for better prices. It just depends how adventurous you are with the chop on one. My buddy fishes the bay out here on his little aluminum boat. Seems sketchy to me, but I don't think a lake would be worse than that.

Yes, big lakes can have large waves with storms. I guess a 10hp motor or so can potentially get you 15 - 20 mph. It's easier to get to shore faster when a storm kicks up. Some lakes also have bays and points which helps break up the wave action if you stick close to shore. Those things potentially make large lakes trickier