Author Topic: Oil Lamp  (Read 774 times)

Offline leadeye

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Oil Lamp
« on: July 16, 2020, 12:23:14 AM »
Just wondering if I can use the red dyed kerosene I purchase for my backup heater be used in the old style oil lamps?

Offline iam4liberty

• Survival Veteran
  • New TSP Forum member
Re: Oil Lamp
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2020, 09:06:54 AM »
This is potentially dangerous.  The red dye causes more soot and potentially creates harmful fumes.  It is placed in there to ensure it is used only in the outdoor applications for which it is taxed.  Very stupid and dangerous law, but there it is.  It is also harder to tell if red dyed kerosine has been contaminated, for example if someone mixed gasoline in it which is also dangerous.

Offline r_w

• Dedicated Contributor
  • On my way
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2020, 08:40:15 PM »
Some of the Amish do it all the time.  Some don't because it gives them headaches.  I can smell the difference. 

I would set back a couple bottles of good lamp oil, it really does burn cleaner.  But I would not hesitate to use red if that was all I had.  For that matter, finding clear kerosene for your heater might be worth the few extra bucks.

Offline Stwood

• Survival Veteran
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2020, 08:21:39 AM »

We can't use the clear kerosene in the house due to the smell, only the more expensive lamp oil.
We stock both, but only plan on using the kero outside or in outbuildings.
I didn't know they were coloring kero, only knew the red was in diesel fuel for non road use.

Offline iam4liberty

• Survival Veteran
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2020, 09:25:50 AM »
Run down from one of the lamp retailers:

https://www.fireflyfuel.com/kerosene-info/lamp-oil-kerosene-question-indoor-air-quality
Lamp Oil or Kerosene? A Question of Indoor Air Quality.

Kerosene comes in two varieties: red kerosene and K-1. Red kerosene is dyed red for tax purposes and is generally used to fuel industrial equipment. DON’T ever burn red kerosene in an indoor oil lamp, because the fumes from the red dye can be harmful. K-1 Kerosene can be used in indoor lanterns but contains sulfur and other impurities that can give it an unpleasant, oily smell when it burns (which can give some people a headache). Because of these impurities, it also gives off considerably more smoke than pure lamp oil.

True, kerosene will save you a few bucks over lamp oil, but you're sacrificing purity. Keep your indoor air clean - stick with paraffin lamp oil this winter!

Offline Redman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Lost in the 50's
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2020, 06:17:47 PM »
I'll just suggest searching K-1 vs. K-2 kerosene.

I wonder if gasoline for non-road, farm use it colored. I had an uncle that had a gasoline tank for tractor gas. He always raised he'' with my cousins about not putting it in their old car. They did anyway.

Offline Stwood

• Survival Veteran
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2020, 08:14:08 PM »
I've never seen non-road gas. Doesn't say that there never was though.  ;D

Offline leadeye

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2020, 11:20:28 PM »
Your probably right. I'll just buy lamp oil. I have used red dye K-1 in the 23k but heater before and have always burned the soot off the end of the wick after. These days though I keep a wood stove on standby. Kerosene is the backup to the backup.

Offline Redman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Lost in the 50's
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2020, 05:32:22 AM »
I've never seen non-road gas. Doesn't say that there never was though.  ;D

Same gas but sold for non-road use, ie. farm and machinery. It apparently must be dispensed into a container clearly marked for "non-road use". You pay all taxes the same as road use gas but keep receipts. The taxes are refundable.

https://www.journalofaccountancy.com/issues/2011/mar/20103438.html

Steve do you burn enough gas in your tractor to make the record keeping worth while? Hmm, I wonder if riding mowers qualify.

Offline Fixit

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2020, 06:58:57 AM »
In Tennessee off-road gas is not taxed at the pump but does have the in it. To buy it you must have an agricultural exemption card.

Offline Stwood

• Survival Veteran
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2020, 08:34:25 AM »
Red, probably not. 100gal a year maybe.

Fixit, I've never seen a pump to be able to buy it here in Missouri.

Offline David in MN

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2020, 09:03:36 AM »
When we had "non-road" gas on the farm we would use a service that filled the 200ish gallon tank behind the barn. It made more sense to have a tank to refill all the machines and going through a service made the tax BS more easy.

There's a ton of goofy farm use loopholes. We had a GM pickup with no plates that was strictly "farm use" and I was driving it at the ripe age of 11. When I go to Fleet Farm they still ask if the nitrile gloves are for farm use. Seems dumb that applying varnish is taxed different than milking a cow but them are the rules.

Our oil lamp probably will never burn through the liter of lamp oil we bought. It's pretty and turning out the lights and using the lamp makes for a good  date night eating dinner or watching a film but I'd bet we burn it 3 hours per year.

Offline leadeye

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2020, 10:01:48 AM »
If I buy and store lamp oil does it go bad or separate like other fuels?

Offline Redman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Lost in the 50's