Author Topic: Can you can meat that has been frozen?  (Read 866 times)

Offline Slkfhddkj

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Can you can meat that has been frozen?
« on: July 29, 2020, 04:05:24 PM »
We have been stocking up on meat for a while in our freezer, but would like to store some in other ways in case the freezer doesn't work, or power goes out. We are hoping for long term dry/emergency food storage ideas. I know fresh is best, but I'm just wondering if it would be a huge no no to use the meat we already have that is frozen. Either for canning or dehydrating or smoking? I would hate to lose power and have all the meat go to waste. So I wanna get as much of it processed as I can. For the most part it's mainly chicken and ground beef.

Offline Stwood

• Survival Veteran
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
Re: Can you can meat that has been frozen?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2020, 05:02:10 PM »
We can pork that comes out of our freezer, several times a year.

Offline Redman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Lost in the 50's
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2020, 05:23:39 PM »
We have been stocking up on meat for a while in our freezer, but would like to store some in other ways in case the freezer doesn't work, or power goes out. We are hoping for long term dry/emergency food storage ideas. I know fresh is best, but I'm just wondering if it would be a huge no no to use the meat we already have that is frozen. Either for canning or dehydrating or smoking? I would hate to lose power and have all the meat go to waste. So I wanna get as much of it processed as I can. For the most part it's mainly chicken and ground beef.

Short answer yes. We have pork and chicken in the freezer. We cook pulled pork then can it with BBQ sauce or just cut up the pork then heat and can and make chicken stock from whole fryers then can the chicken meat and the stock.

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Geese Smuggling Moonbat
  • Survival Veteran
  • There are no mistakes, just Learning Experiences
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2020, 10:18:18 PM »
We usually buy a quarter or half cow. It comes frozen rock solid.  I can the roasts and stew meat as soon as I can but it does require a day to defrost enough to be able to cut it.
I usually can fresh chicken but only cuz I can find that fresh a couple times a year for cheap so I freeze and can it all that week (Usually about 240#)

Offline Greekman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2020, 11:43:25 AM »
This si a good chance to ask...

Why do they say you cannot re-freeze thawed food.
I tend to believe that this is for the chance of harmful bacteria developing during the thawing process

Offline Redman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Lost in the 50's
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2020, 06:27:31 PM »
This si a good chance to ask...

Why do they say you cannot re-freeze thawed food.
I tend to believe that this is for the chance of harmful bacteria developing during the thawing process

Harmful bacteria, could happen I suppose. I've done this in the past with thoroughly thawed meat and probably will in the future. My readings indicates that if there are ice crystals still in the meat it is OK.

Offline Slkfhddkj

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2020, 01:04:17 PM »
Can anyone tell me if the meat should be thoroughly covered for long term storage? I followed the directions for raw pack chicken drumsticks and it said not to add any broth before processing, but I may have not put enough pieces in each can to allow enough self made broth. So half of the meat is not covered. Should i use the meat soon? Or would it still last long term in dry storage?