Author Topic: How do you can your tomatoes?  (Read 868 times)

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
How do you can your tomatoes?
« on: July 30, 2020, 05:24:27 PM »
I'm just trying to figure out what I should do with my tomatoes from the garden.  The canned tomatoes we use in recipes is typically paste, sauce, crushed tomatoes and pizza sauce.

I've heard arguments to always can tomato sauce and doctor it the way it needs to be for each recipe.  However, it seems so much easier to can some pizza sauce, some tomato sauce, some crushed tomatoes, etc.

So how do you can your tomatoes?

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
Re: How do you can your tomatoes?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2020, 06:23:03 PM »
I only can diced tomatoes, because that is what I use the most in my day to day cooking.  I do not take the skins off, I just cut them like I would for a recipe if using fresh, or like when I buy a can of diced tomatoes.  I dump them in a large pot as I go, then when I am tired of dicing, I put a lid on the pot and cook a bit so that they are ready to can, put them in jars hot, add salt, then can in a steam canner

When I make pasta I use these diced tomatoes, plus other veggies depending on season.

I put the diced tomatoes in soups and indian food recipes, etc...

I do not  use them on pizza as is.  I either mix them with dried tomato powder or tomato paste and make a nice sauce for pizza or I just use a purchased tomato sauce for pizza  I should can some actual tomato sauce just for pizza

Offline Stwood

• Survival Veteran
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2020, 06:53:18 PM »
Either straight cutup tomatoes, or blended with peppers for an easy to make spaghetti sauce.

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Geese Smuggling Moonbat
  • Survival Veteran
  • There are no mistakes, just Learning Experiences
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2020, 06:14:11 PM »
I dry mine in slices and powder.  My husband does not like chunks of tomatoes in things

Offline David in MN

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2020, 08:14:01 PM »
We always froze the tomatoes. My grandparents had this phobia that canning fresh would ruin the flavor. To be fair, tomatoes suffer the issue of all fruit. After 30 minutes of being picked the flavor deteriorates. There's just no getting around this and you will never preserve that perfect "in the height of summer" tomato.

That said, all my tomatoes that aren't eaten off my garden knife get frozen and then cooked down for 6 hours in a true Italian bolognaise. With a homemade spinach fettucini and a glass of red wine you are in paradise.

One other with fresh tomatoes... If you put a pot of olive oil with garlic, basil, and crushed red peppers on the heat and boil it then reduce the heat, strain, and put in chunks of tomato you have my favorite topping for gnocchi.

I guess what I'm saying is that we just jackhammer them and being that the Mrs. family is Italian (and holy cow the Kraut kid makes pasta) we tend to use them quick.

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2020, 10:41:47 AM »
I dry mine in slices and powder.  My husband does not like chunks of tomatoes in things
I guess that's in a dehydrator.  How do you powder them?  Just a food processor?

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2020, 03:56:18 PM »
I use the blendtec

And the Excalibur

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2020, 06:57:55 PM »
So tonight most of dinner was from the garden.  We had a quart of green beans that didn't seal and 2 of the spaghetti squash I harvested last week.  I didn't have time to make up a sauce, so that came from a jar.

But I found that the spaghetti squash was fully ripe, so I harvested a bunch more.  I also counted the squash still on the vine and there's at least 16 that have plenty of time to ripen.  There's also a couple more that might not have enough time.  We also have at least 8 pumpkins turning orange.  I'll probably be harvesting the first of them in a week or so.

The mandatory shot of the spaghetti squash harvest.  The striped type is what we ate tonight.

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2020, 09:25:59 PM »
Wow! that is so great!

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2020, 09:32:59 PM »
Wow, thought I was in the "Fritz's Garden thread

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2020, 09:50:34 PM »
haha... works here, too.

I'm dehydrating a batch of tomatoes in the excalibur right now. I knew I didn't really have time to can them and didn't want them to go to waste... they are really so wonderful for tomato soup later, too. Something about the concentration of flavors in the dehydrated tomatoes really gives the soup a great 'zing'.

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2020, 12:25:06 AM »
haha... works here, too.

I'm dehydrating a batch of tomatoes in the excalibur right now. I knew I didn't really have time to can them and didn't want them to go to waste... they are really so wonderful for tomato soup later, too. Something about the concentration of flavors in the dehydrated tomatoes really gives the soup a great 'zing'.

would love to see your recipe for the tomato soup with dehydrated tomatoes

Are you dehydrating slicing tomatoes or paste tomatoes ?

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2020, 07:04:57 AM »
would love to see your recipe for the tomato soup with dehydrated tomatoes

Are you dehydrating slicing tomatoes or paste tomatoes ?

I use both... whatever is ripe.

I'll share my tomato soup recipe... it may already be here, so let me do a quick search.

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2020, 07:43:41 AM »
I use both... whatever is ripe.

I'll share my tomato soup recipe... it may already be here, so let me do a quick search.

I think I have mostly done slicing cuz they have more flavor but I have done paste

Dehydrated tomato powder packs a lot of flavor into soups and sauces.  And easier to store 😁

Offline Stwood

• Survival Veteran
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2020, 08:01:19 AM »
Wow, thought I was in the "Fritz's Garden thread

Oh!!!!! Brainfart alert!!!!