Author Topic: California, anyone know how to buy ammo ?  (Read 1050 times)

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
California, anyone know how to buy ammo ?
« on: August 13, 2020, 02:00:59 PM »
Yes, I have read the .gov website, and it is as clear as mud.  There are many Californians who only own a rifle that they have owned since before 2014, and so do not have a gun registered in the state.  And, they should still be able to buy ammo, but it is not too clear as to how. 

Anyone here done it ? Or anectodotally have had a friend so you heard how ?

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
Re: California, anyone know how to buy ammo ?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2020, 02:51:37 PM »
Seems like it is possible if you pay a $19 fee each time, and then wait a couple days for the background check to be processed before taking possesion...

Offline iam4liberty

• Survival Veteran
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2020, 03:23:13 PM »
Seems like it is possible if you pay a $19 fee each time, and then wait a couple days for the background check to be processed before taking possesion...

This appears correct unless you voluntarily register the rifle which appears to require a one-time $19 fee: https://oag.ca.gov/sites/all/files/agweb/pdfs/firearms/forms/volreg.pdf

« Last Edit: August 13, 2020, 03:32:34 PM by iam4liberty »

Offline jcrmadden

• Prepper
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2020, 03:37:17 PM »
Is there a flow chart for why anyone would willingly live in California? Asking for a friend.

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2020, 04:42:01 PM »
Now that I have looked into how it works in practice for folks, the main purpose seems to  be to get rifle owners to self identify and register although they theoretically do not need to legally do so.  It is no wonder the courts overturned it last April, what is unbeleivable is the 'stay" on the overturning while they apeal !
« Last Edit: August 13, 2020, 04:47:05 PM by mountainmoma »

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2020, 04:45:18 PM »
Is there a flow chart for why anyone would willingly live in California? Asking for a friend.

Born Here
               |
               |
               |
               |
              V
Havent moved yet

then there is the

I immigrated from a country with worse personal rights
|
|
V
So this looks like freedom in comparison

well, those are the only 2 that make sense to me.  There could be alot of reasons that are not logical

Offline Mintbird

• Senior Survivalist
  • Prepping since 2012
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2020, 05:33:50 PM »

Living here in CA, not willingly but by Child Custody Court Order and only in LA or Orange County!  >:(

Offline iam4liberty

• Survival Veteran
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2020, 07:24:49 PM »
Now that I have looked into how it works in practice for folks, the main purpose seems to  be to get rifle owners to self identify and register although they theoretically do not need to legally do so.

It is called the New Zealand plan. 

https://www.nraila.org/articles/20190322/us-politicians-cheer-new-zealand-gun-confiscation
U.S. Politicians Cheer New Zealand Gun Confiscation

Offline Stwood

• Survival Veteran
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2020, 08:08:08 PM »
Have a friend in say............OK or TX, and they purchase it, then ship it to you.

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2020, 08:22:54 PM »
Have a friend in say............OK or TX, and they purchase it, then ship it to you.

;) ;)          :-X

seems logical to me, but I was asked by someone on how the state thought they were supposed to do it to go skeet shooting..... I pointedly do not buy ammo now so did not know just how bad it was, I thought they just had to do a check, did not know they were discriminating against old timers with shotguns and were realy looking to pull in more registrations, identify all people with a gun at home 

just imagine needing to pay $19 in addition to the ammo plus 10% sales tax, and wait a few days, then do it all over again as no store here has more than a few boxes in stock. 

The smart way is to make that $19 pay and get a case or two, have the store special order, which is what people who could afford to did before the common sense ammo control law ban went into effect, but this is all terribly discriminatory against people of limited means, not enough money to buy alot at once, which is why they need it now, couldnt stock up in 2019, dont routinely travel as that takes cash too....
« Last Edit: August 13, 2020, 08:47:38 PM by mountainmoma »

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2020, 08:44:49 PM »
Living here in CA, not willingly but by Child Custody Court Order and only in LA or Orange County!  >:(

I forgot about that one !  Needs to be added as the third logical reason

I blocked it out of my memory, I was also under such restrictions until just a few years ago.  It cost me alot of money just to move where I am now as it was next county over, I did not have a restriction preventing it, But CA family law has clear precendences on this, it is all but impossible to move, I would have had to have stayed in that one even more expensive county if I hadnt moved fast,  put an offer on this place, sold the other on the first day it was listed, during the open house, I listed it at a sell now price, was paying a lawyer as I was packing, hired a real new york bitch that even made me cry, and managed to be here, it did make a 1hr drive between the 2 houses. This was a real nice location for the kids.  calmer.  The new custodies that are all automatically joint, you cant even move cities, doesnt matter if you cant afford to be where you are, I see ads from young moms with a young child looking to rent a room for them both as they cant leave the area at all, need to be in the same school district.  Maybe people with tons of $$ can lawyer a way to move back by their folks, but I havent seen it happen personally.

Hang in there, they will turn 18 eventually, but yeah, it is how we get stuck

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2020, 03:02:13 AM »
I have bought only a smattering of ammo in state since the new regulations came into effect.  But since I purchased it at Turners, the same chain I’ve bought most of my guns at, they just look me up on their computer, charge my card, and I take it home.

I stopped by there yesterday and they have absolutely nothing in stock that’s suitable for self defense. You can put 30% down on a Glock but it will be a 6 month wait.  Not much ammo either.

MM, maybe you could buy a used 10/22 just to get into the system, or a cheap AR lower.

Another option is to start reloading. I’ve not run into any issues buying ammo components online and having them shipped to me.

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2020, 09:01:04 AM »
I have bought only a smattering of ammo in state since the new regulations came into effect.  But since I purchased it at Turners, the same chain I’ve bought most of my guns at, they just look me up on their computer, charge my card, and I take it home.

I stopped by there yesterday and they have absolutely nothing in stock that’s suitable for self defense. You can put 30% down on a Glock but it will be a 6 month wait.  Not much ammo either.

MM, maybe you could buy a used 10/22 just to get into the system, or a cheap AR lower.

Another option is to start reloading. I’ve not run into any issues buying ammo components online and having them shipped to me.

Thanks for a look in southern CA.  I havent looked, Im not in the market to humor Ca and buy any  ;D  It realy was someone else asking me, and I havent tried or looked, so wondered why they found it impossible.

I am not surprised there is not much ammo ! I bet there is almost none around here either, that ship has sailed for buying guns and ammo

FreeLancer, we were lied to if someone has to enter a long gun they legally own and are not required to register to lawfully buy ammo.  Let alone if someone has to buy another gun to "get into the system"  But, you are right that that is the way to do it, so another data point that the whole point of this exercise is to force lawful gun owners into the system !   And, a point on how easy a work around is for straw buyers of criminals, just have the wife register an old single shot 410 and then she can buy you ammo.... which is what they will lament when they ask for stage 2, no ammo for a gun not on the list.... Back to the person asking me -- so a person of limited financial means should not be in a position to (1) pay an outragous fee everytime they want to buy a box of ammo to shoot (2) or buy a gun thy dont want or need to be "in the system" (3) or declare their lawfully owned gun " to be in the system"  They are being forced into a system they dont have the money to work around  this is not right

I am in their system, I am a legal handgun owner in the state of California.  Back in the day, everyone just went along with that one, we have had handgun registration for a long time. But, I refuse to be complicit to this whole thing, I will not buy ammo that is tracked.  yes, I will reload at some point, I need to get the time to figure out what I am missing, I think it is the exact dies for my calibers, I have a single stage press, I helped someone else once work his single stage press, it will be an adventure Im sure.  Do people reload shot shells ?

I am sure everyother state is getting this message --  this is the sequence of events -- do not do stage one, no background checks of private purchases ( as this is de facto registration, this is our registration in CA ) no background checks of long guns no expansion of whatever it is you already have  -- this is where it leads

And, if you think that the state is not keeping track of what calibers you are buying, no matter what happens to be registered, so that when they do that no-knock break down of your door demanding the guns, which is the next step, right now just for some ( oh, you talked to a psych about your depresion ?  The doctor thinks it might be alzheimers ?  Your neighbor doesnt like you ? Your kids teacher is alarmed because johnny drew a picture of shooting quail and reported you ? ( yes, slight exagerationsnow, but what they want)) SO when they do that, they dont just accept that single shot 410, they want to know what you have been shooting the 9mm from, the .44 and yes even the .22.....

Once they are able to, you bet they wont even wait for a referral, they are just bidding time collecting peoples data now,  then so easy to compare to registrations, you cant buy for someone else, you cant borrow a gun, so what were you shooting that ammo out of ?  You have broken the law, and you have broken a firearm law, they will search and take any and all of it, you will now have a conviction not allowing gun ownership. 
« Last Edit: August 14, 2020, 09:30:02 AM by mountainmoma »

Offline iam4liberty

• Survival Veteran
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2020, 01:29:56 PM »
Do people reload shot shells ?

You bet.  Shotshells are the easiest of all ammo to relaod.  I use an older Lee Loadall, the predecessor of this one: https://leeprecision.com/shot-shell-reloading/shot-shell-reloading-press/  It does an amazing job, better than factory for consistency.

But you can easily relaod Shotshells with simple household items if push comes to shove:

https://youtu.be/g_Q5G_HR4LU

Or in the field with a simple kit:

https://youtu.be/F85LMFWKwTo

And if you are kidnapped by aliens...

Online Bradbn4

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2020, 03:24:52 PM »
CA makes it complex to buy ammo and firearms....

I have not followed closely the laws on ammo in CA, I don't think it is allowed for a person to cross state lines a buy ammo and hall it back.   I am not sure what if any laws are there that cover the components necessary to make your own ammo.

There are a few firearms that take different size ammo, no I am not sure what these types of firearms impact the rules.

Example: Glock 22 (40 cal) can be fitted with a 9mm barrel. So there is only one controlled firearm that can shoot two types of ammo.  There is also a nice after market slide / barrel combo that allows the person to convert the pistol to 22lr.

Also TC Contender / Encore while single shot can be fitted with everything from 22lr to 20 ga (Encore) so that is another option.   Swapping out barrels is quite fast and and there are a few companies that will custom make what ever cal (within reason) to fit your hunting desires.

Reloading is always an option, and for some arms like oh the 45 acp, they can easily used cast bullets for reloading.

CA does not like lead bullets so that adds even more fun to the mix.

Offline iam4liberty

• Survival Veteran
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2020, 03:34:43 PM »
There are a few firearms that take different size ammo, no I am not sure what these types of firearms impact the rules.

Currently there isnt a connection between the firearm registered and the ammo which can be purchased.  In a (failed) attempt to make it constitutional, the law was written to expedite the background check and make it cheaper (lower charge) to buy ammo for those who agree to be registered.  In other words, it is about the person not the firearm.  The facade would fail if they made it that you could only by ammo in the caliber of the firearm(s) registered.

Offline armymars

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2020, 08:48:27 AM »
Bradbn4,
  I had a custom 30/30 Adkly improved barrel with a 1 in 8 twist made up by SSK. If you have the money they can build it for you. Better then 1" groups with 165gr Sierra bullets. Will shoot up to 220gr ELD bullets.