Author Topic: Recommendation For Folding Emergency Shovel  (Read 981 times)

Offline jtcweb

• Prepper
    • My 10 Acres
Recommendation For Folding Emergency Shovel
« on: September 11, 2020, 02:45:49 PM »
Hello,

I'm looking to put one of those folding shovels in each of my cars.  Jack doesn't have one as an IOTD.  On Amazon, the prices range from $17 to YOU'VE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME.

This isn't something that will get a lot of use, in fact, it may never get used.  But I need it sturdy enough to use if needed, but don't want to sell my firstborn child to pay for it.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Regards,
Jerry

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
Re: Recommendation For Folding Emergency Shovel
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2020, 04:20:50 PM »
I bought this one for when I was putting together a trunk kit for my son.  It hasn't been used at all.  It's there for emergencies, and thankfully  there have been no emergencies.

CARTMAN Sport Utility Scalable Camping Shovel, Garden Shovel, Portable Aluminium Shovel

Offline David in MN

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2020, 04:49:09 PM »
I have a Lifeline collapsible shovel in both cars.

https://www.amazon.com/Aluminum-Utility-Collapsible-Perfect-Activities/dp/B07H25P4YR/ref=pd_lpo_86_t_0/139-7899365-2152369?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B07H25P4YR&pd_rd_r=29a287dc-9a49-4696-817c-0f95e7fb7b98&pd_rd_w=k2mhu&pd_rd_wg=8Vtkm&pf_rd_p=7b36d496-f366-4631-94d3-61b87b52511b&pf_rd_r=H5GYWZYK6S4VYSJQ9BSS&psc=1&refRID=H5GYWZYK6S4VYSJQ9BSS

It's not super heavy-duty but it is really light so very helpful if you get plowed in or something away from home. Not the ideal tool but very easy to carry and the light weight means my wife can use it with ease.

I think a lot ofyour decision should be based on what you expect of it and what you want to put forward in terms of use. I'd be fine with a trenching tool (and I might dig mine out and put it in the car) but I doubt my wife would like that. If fresh snow is the concern, a light aluminum model will do the trick. But be warned that those light flat bladed aluminum models aren't worth much in dirt or sand. They're for snow.

I'd also advise to go cheap. Good enough is good enough and this isn't a tool you'll fall in love with.

Offline STARI GRAD

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2020, 01:11:36 PM »
I have never found a folding shovel that I liked so I have always used something similar to the Cold Steel Spetsnaz shovel.  I have really beat the crap out of the one I currently own and it has served me well.  I use it regularly in a rural setting where I need to dig out one wheel.  Its good for limited emergency use. 

Offline jtcweb

• Prepper
    • My 10 Acres
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2020, 07:37:36 AM »
I have the lightweight shovels already and while I'm sure they would work well in snow, I can't imagine trying to use one in the dirt.

I will have to re-think my need for folding since it will be in my car rather than a backpack.

Offline Bradbn4

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2020, 09:43:34 AM »
I have used one of the lighter weight a few times.  It was more drift snow than plowed and harden style.  The big pro was I had it; the big con was it is dang small.   The big down size was the handle length when I was trying to un-high center my car.   My current shovel is a 3 part small(er) style and only good for snow.

The version that Redman posted looked close akin to weapon versus shovel.  Now for ice, that style will work better than the light weight ones.  It does have me thinking that a could be used as entrenching tool has a lot of good uses.  Esp if it's use is more than getting snow out from under the car wheels.

Now for camping, and as use for snow maybe https://www.amazon.com/SLFC-Military-Folding-Shovel-Entrenching/dp/B01LFBQ0AQ  would be in the expensive but not over the top.   Now that is a shovel you can go to war with  8)

I posted  that link for style, long handle, and the ability to bend at 90 degrees to allow easier removal of snow under the car.  The paint ball spec ops tools are there just for looks.

Offline Redman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Lost in the 50's
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2020, 11:42:15 AM »
That shovel I posted might also be very handy to have in some areas of the country now. As you say it's akin to a weapon also.

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2020, 07:40:31 PM »
Good ideas... maybe need to be buying these things for all the family vehicles...

Offline jtcweb

• Prepper
    • My 10 Acres
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2020, 09:20:44 AM »
I just realized that I have a few shovels with broken handles.  I might take my angle grinder with a cut off wheel and reduce the size a just throw that in my car.

Offline Knecht

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Czech emissary at TSP forum
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2020, 05:27:41 PM »
Personally, I don't like folding shovels. Never seen a really good one yet, broke several of them. I like fixed ones, with wooden handles that can be changed in case they break. Russian entrenching shovel is a winner for me: the right size (50cm long altogether), lightweight, well made, holds nice edge and is usable as hatchet, too.