Author Topic: Any containers/packaging we should avoid?  (Read 984 times)

Offline Gamer

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
Any containers/packaging we should avoid?
« on: September 23, 2020, 09:39:15 AM »
Should we be aware of what our food/drink is contained in?
For example there have been stories like below circulating for years but it seems as if the powers-that-be are playing it down to protect the aluminium industry.
Personally to be on the safe side I gave up using aluminium pots and pans for cooking years ago and switched to nonstick teflon-coated types-

Are there any other containers and packaging materials we should also be wary of, for example I think I heard that plastic drink containers might affect the contents?

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
Re: Any containers/packaging we should avoid?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2020, 10:54:25 AM »
Teflon-coated cookware is nice for the ease of cleanup and reduced sticking, but as it ages, the coating can begin to flake off into the food, which is not good.

You might want to consider looking for good stainless steel cookware or enameled cast-iron.

Offline Gamer

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2020, 04:06:52 PM »
Teflon-coated cookware is nice for the ease of cleanup and reduced sticking, but as it ages, the coating can begin to flake off into the food, which is not good.
You might want to consider looking for good stainless steel cookware or enameled cast-iron.

Thanks, stainless steel and enamelled iron sounds good, but at the moment I'm treating my Teflon items gently by using a plastic or wooden spoon to stir the stuff in them rather than using a metal fork which might scratch the coating, so hopefully they'll last years before flaking..:)

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2020, 04:44:56 PM »
High heat tends to make the coating break down sooner, so avoid using higher temps.

Offline David in MN

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2020, 08:52:52 AM »
Teflon fumes are dangerous for pet birds. Most Teflon pans come with a warning because Teflon will literally kill the canary in the coal mine.

We ditched the Teflon years ago but I'll confess to keeping aluminum bakeware. Not sure I'd use a pan because I like cast iron and stainless better but for a cakepan or half sheet the aluminum stuff is king.

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2020, 10:49:13 AM »
I have a few aluminum baking pans, too... some 8" layer cake pans that I have had for many years and one old muffin tin Mom gave me when I went off to college :)

All the other baking pans are stainless steel, I think.

Offline Gamer

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2020, 12:58:04 AM »
Regarding Teflon dangers, is that the only "coating" or are there any other safer brands?

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2020, 08:16:37 AM »
there are several "nonstick" ceramic-coated pans out there now, but they don't really remain nonstick for long... Depending on how much you use them, their "non-stickiness" only lasts about a year or so. After that, they still work, but do stick more than they do when new... we have tried the OrGreenic pans and also the Blue ceramic coated pans and find that to be the case. Not bad, but just be aware that they will change over time. And, no way will they remain non-stick for 10 years, as they claim.

Offline Greekman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2020, 09:54:21 PM »
BTW, I think the soda cans have a plastic liner inside.

Offline Gamer

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2020, 11:14:39 PM »
BTW, I think the soda cans have a plastic liner inside.

Yeah cans are another thing I meant to ask about, because when I open food and pop cans I notice that some brands are just bare metal on the inside, but some others have got what seems to be a white lining, I wonder why?

Offline Greekman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2020, 05:35:45 AM »
ALL cans have a lining (actually varnish), seen or not. Locally I find the white lining in tomato paste cans where acidity is greater.

What I also know is that peach cans do not have varnish cos it was found that zinc augments the flavor of.

Offline Gamer

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2020, 11:29:44 PM »
ALL cans have a lining (actually varnish), seen or not. Locally I find the white lining in tomato paste cans where acidity is greater.

What I also know is that peach cans do not have varnish cos it was found that zinc augments the flavor of.

Interesting, I think I'll email around food manufacturers to see what they say..:)