Author Topic: How long will stored water keep?  (Read 615 times)

Offline Gamer

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
How long will stored water keep?
« on: October 01, 2020, 12:40:55 AM »
If I fill up some containers with tap water and store them in a cupboard will it stay fresh forever?
And what sort of containers are best, will plastic do?
Or should I store bottled water bought from the grocers, will it keep longer than tap water?

Offline Bradbn4

• Dedicated Contributor
Re: How long will stored water keep?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2020, 04:46:40 AM »
For how long water will keep is often based on methods of storage versus the contents.

Water will keep forever; however, you will find that storage in plastic containers will limit your enjoyment.  I find that if I rotate thru my 1L plastic bottles within a year they seem to still taste fresh.  I think the real rule of thumb is no more than 2 years.   I have a few cases of 4 year old water that frankly taste like plastic and only use to water plants.

For simple water storage needs cases of water work best, esp if you rotate your supply.  For bulk water storage you might have to treat the water prior to storage to prevent such things as algae from turning your water supply unfit.

Remember when storing water just how much stress it will place on the flooring.  One liter = 1 kilo of weight.   Around big cities it is possible to find recycled 55 gal storage barrels that can be used to store water.    However; not all used food grade containers are made equal.   Water stored in these barrels should be treated first to keep you safe.

The fact that the water might have gone bad (taste like plastic, etc.); it can still be used for cleaning and other secondary uses.

For people who live in homes; the hot water tank from a water heater can be used as an emergency source of water.

Summary:  Ease of use, cases of bottle water in plastic bottles work well.   For long term high demand need, a secondary water system will be desired. Secondary static water storage systems often need to be treated for longer term use.  Even after treatment, water should be periodically drained and refilled to keep it safe.

Offline Fixit

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2020, 09:01:18 AM »
Not really to.your question but get is is....
If when pressure canning you have a space open  add a jar of filtered water chandelier like the rest . You now have sterile water to.store. Good for drinking or washing out an injury.

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2020, 08:39:05 AM »
Not really to.your question but get is is....
If when pressure canning you have a space open  add a jar of filtered water chandelier like the rest . You now have sterile water to.store. Good for drinking or washing out an injury.

Great idea! I often have a little extra room in the canner.

Offline Stwood

• Survival Veteran
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2020, 11:39:33 AM »
Great idea! I often have a little extra room in the canner.
We do that also, even with water bath. We will use those odd jars if we have any.
Mayo, china made mason's, etc.
They add up during canning season.

Offline Gamer

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2020, 02:52:19 AM »
Thanks everybody, in an apocalypse the food shelves might be empty and the taps run dry, and as we can live much longer without food than without water, water is top priority.
I live 50 yards from the Atlantic but won't be able to drink a drop of it unless I get rid of the salt.
I suppose I could rig up a simple still if I knew how, but that'd need fuel for the burner and fuel eventually runs out.
I'm surprised nobody (as far as I know) hasn't invented a simple filter or membrane that can get rid of the salt.

Offline Fixit

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2020, 05:02:53 AM »
That close to a large body of water a solar still would work .

Offline Hurricane

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2020, 06:33:12 AM »

I live 50 yards from the Atlantic but won't be able to drink a drop of it unless I get rid of the salt.
I suppose I could rig up a simple still if I knew how, but that'd need fuel for the burner and fuel eventually runs out.
I'm surprised nobody (as far as I know) hasn't invented a simple filter or membrane that can get rid of the salt.

Look at ship-board "watermakers". I believe they are usually reverse-osmosis units.
You might be able to find a used one. New ones can be pricey.

Offline Gamer

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2020, 11:34:01 PM »
That close to a large body of water a solar still would work .
Look at ship-board "watermakers". I believe they are usually reverse-osmosis units.
You might be able to find a used one. New ones can be pricey.

Yeah I've googled around but an extra problem is that I live on the 3rd floor of an apartment block with no garden or anywhere to set up a still (sniffle)