Author Topic: i just found Field Suture KIT  (Read 7577 times)

Offline Louisiana Suvivor

• Can't Spell His Own Name
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • One day my forge will be finished.
Re: i just found Field Suture KIT
« Reply #30 on: December 15, 2008, 01:36:05 AM »
would super glue cause an infection? or just hurt a lot?
Contributing to TSP Forum since October 19, 2008.

Offline flagtag

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #31 on: December 15, 2008, 10:25:14 AM »

There is super glue made especially for "suturing" (closing wounds). There is even some that can be used for false eyelashes - safe.
My ex-husband had quad bypass, they used superglue to "sew" him up. I could hardly see the incision the next day.  (very thin scar line)
"The hurrier I go, the behinder I get"

Offline 19kilo

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #32 on: December 15, 2008, 09:16:43 PM »

There is super glue made especially for "suturing" (closing wounds). There is even some that can be used for false eyelashes - safe.
My ex-husband had quad bypass, they used superglue to "sew" him up. I could hardly see the incision the next day.  (very thin scar line)

Yes,  We have them here in our fast track.  don't think it's the same that they use for open hearts.  I am pretty sure it's called derma bond.  I have a couple at home.
Get your facts first, and then you can distort 'em as much as you please.  ~Mark Twain

"Submission? Well that's a bit of a problem."

Offline flagtag

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #33 on: December 15, 2008, 09:52:03 PM »
Whoever came up with it is a genius!  Closes the wound, leaves the slightlest "scar", also, no "stitch" holes on either side of it.
"The hurrier I go, the behinder I get"

Offline 19kilo

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #34 on: December 15, 2008, 10:01:37 PM »
Whoever came up with it is a genius!  Closes the wound, leaves the slightlest "scar", also, no "stitch" holes on either side of it.

Shit,

Our docs are doing procedures her were hey enter through the ribs and do bypasses on the beating heart.  I'm sure they do elsewhere, but it is new to us.  Our pt's are going home the same week now.

Sorry bout the derail.
Get your facts first, and then you can distort 'em as much as you please.  ~Mark Twain

"Submission? Well that's a bit of a problem."

Debo

« Reply #35 on: December 27, 2008, 04:49:22 PM »
It is better to irrigate, irrigate, irrigate then irrigate some more.

Brilliant post.  This is one of the reasons that starting a fire is such a vital task.  I had a test recently where I had to start a fire, and bring a half a canteen cup to a rolling boil in 15 min.  They gave us two MRE matches.  Great skill to have and might be the only way you will get sterile water for irrigation in an austere situation.

D.

Offline RichStillinWyo

• Prepper
« Reply #36 on: March 21, 2009, 10:37:56 PM »
The maggots they use are called medical maggots.  I assume they are from medical supply houses.

Would be worth the research to see if there is a way to use "free-range" maggots.  I'll see if I can find anything.

*** Free-range maggots will work. The medical maggots are raised in a clean area. Last time I checked they were $60.00 an oz plus shipping. Be sure to tape a gauze 'cage' over the wound once you introduce the maggots. They should be full within 48 hours and need to be replaced.

Offline ejsandstrom

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Right in a left world
« Reply #37 on: March 25, 2009, 09:08:27 PM »
Suturing is a skill I did want. I have a second hand account to not stitching a wound. My dad was fishing and grabbed a fish wrong and ended up ripping his thumb open down to the bone. He went home dumped some peroxide on it, filled it with antibiotics and a band aid. He repeated this untill it healed with just a small scar. He is a little to hard core for me. I get a papercut and need to get perc's and vike'd up.
Of course freedom is not free, we work 4 months a year for it.

-Ruining everyones internet experience since 1995-

Offline bwachob

• Prepper
« Reply #38 on: April 18, 2009, 05:59:50 PM »
This is kind of along the line of maggot therapy.

My grandfather and father both always said to leave the wound open except for the usual band and every evening they would let the family dog lick the wound.  I saw my father do this on several occasions and never got an infection.

I cut up my fingers pretty bad once when someone I was working with let go of a circular saw and it came back to me.  I tried this and never got any kind of infection.  They both said the dog would quit licking when the infection was gone.

Offline PBRstreetgang

• Survivor
« Reply #39 on: April 22, 2009, 02:16:54 AM »
Note that AMK also sells a Field Trauma Kit, which doesn't include sutures but rather a 25g Quickclot pack.  I know Quickclot has been met with some controversy in the medical community - most first responders tend to frown on dumping chemicals into an open wound, but I'd rather have it than nothing in a situation where you are injured in a wilderness (>1 hour from formal medical care) environment.

Tactical Field/Trauma with QuikClot
MSRP $40.00
Designed with all of the essentials required to stop or control bleeding. Quikclot is a chemically inert material in a mesh bag that speeds coagulation of blood, resulting in a stable clot that stops bleeding. Stops bleeding quicker than conventional methods and is safe to leave on wounds until more advanced medical help arrives. * Package contains a 3.5 x 3.5 in. (25g) bag of Quikclot

Supply List

Bandage Materials
3   Bandage, Adhesive, Fabric, Knuckle
2   Dressing, Gauze, Sterile, 4" x 4", Pkg./2
2   Bandage, Butterfly Closure
1   Dressing, Non-Adherent, Sterile, 3" x 4"
1   Bandage, Elastic, Self Adhering, 2"
4   Bandage, Adhesive, Fabric, 1" x 3"
2   Dressing, Gauze, Sterile, 2" x 2", Pkg./2

Bleeding
2   Trauma Pad, 5" x 9"
2   Gloves, Nitrile (Pair), Hand Wipe
1   QuikClot Sport 25g

Blister / Burn
11   Moleskin, Pre-Cut & Shaped

Instrument
3   Safety Pins
1   Splinter Picker/Tick Remover Forceps

Medical Information
1   Comp. Guide to Wilderness & Travel Medicine

Medication
1   After Bite Wipe
2   Antihistamine (Diphenhydramine 25 mg)
1   Aspirin (325 mg), Pkg./2
2   Ibuprofen (200 mg), Pkg./2

Wound Care
2   Triple Antibiotic Ointment, 1/32 oz
6   After Cuts & Scrapes Anethestic/Antiseptic Wipe
1   Dressing, Petrolatum, 3" x 3"
1   Tape, 1/2" x 10 Yards

Offline Laiph

• Prepper
« Reply #40 on: December 06, 2009, 01:45:08 PM »
Regarding the kit with the suture - as a surgeon I can tell you that 5-0 nylon is very small, difficult to use & only useful on small wounds.  It's really for a cosmetic closure.  I doubt it comes on a keefe needle so you would need a needle driver & a pair of pick-ups to use it not to mention the technical experience.  I don't see that particular kit as too useful.  I agree with daily would cleaning and a compressive bandage.
“By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail.”
 Benjamin Franklin

Offline Altered Mental Status

• Prepper
« Reply #41 on: December 06, 2009, 05:24:29 PM »
ok folks you can also purchase a staple kit too, but why do we tend to go to the most extreme? 1st off if you don't have training why would you want to do this stuff, you can potentially make things worse. Stop initial bleeding, clean wound best you can, if it's deep enough pack wound wet to dry, apply antibiotic,and cover wound change dressing 3-5 times a day, watch for signs of infection.......

Offline Who...me?

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #42 on: December 06, 2009, 09:48:13 PM »
I will agree with those that have stated that suturing a wound, for the most part is unnecessary. 

When I was a kid I managed to cut a "v" shaped gash in my thumb all the way to the bone.  If I held my hand upright the flap would open and you could see the scratch on the bone.

As I was doing something at the time that I should NOT have been doing I was too scared to tell my parents so I just flushed it with the garden hose until the cold water made it numb,  put a few raps of electrical tape around it and kind hid my hand from my parents for a week. I still have a very visible scar 35 years later but it never got infected and most importantly...I did not get caught.
"Build a politician a fire and keep him warm for a day.
Set a politician on fire and keep him warm for the rest of his life."

"Democracy is two wolves and a sheep voting on what's for dinner.  Liberty is a well-armed sheep contesting the vote."

Collector of rare and antique inflatable goats.

Hare of Caerbannog

« Reply #43 on: December 06, 2009, 10:20:45 PM »
I will agree with those that have stated that suturing a wound, for the most part is unnecessary. 

When I was a kid I managed to cut a "v" shaped gash in my thumb all the way to the bone.  If I held my hand upright the flap would open and you could see the scratch on the bone.

As I was doing something at the time that I should NOT have been doing I was too scared to tell my parents so I just flushed it with the garden hose until the cold water made it numb,  put a few raps of electrical tape around it and kind hid my hand from my parents for a week. I still have a very visible scar 35 years later but it never got infected and most importantly...I did not get caught.
Wow.
I don't remember typing that!
Oh!
I guess I wasn't the only one.
Greetings fellow member of the "I've seen my own bones" club!
I've seen my finger bones on three occasions, by left knee cap, my right ankle bones, and my sternum. I did have to have my knee stitched up, but water, peroxide, and tape along with regular bandage changes took care of the rest.

Mostly I agree with ...
ok folks you can also purchase a staple kit too, but why do we tend to go to the most extreme? 1st off if you don't have training why would you want to do this stuff, you can potentially make things worse. Stop initial bleeding, clean wound best you can, if it's deep enough pack wound wet to dry, apply antibiotic,and cover wound change dressing 3-5 times a day, watch for signs of infection.......
If stitches are required, get to someone who does this for a living.
In a SHTF situation, your family doctor will be looking around for work.

Offline Laiph

• Prepper
« Reply #44 on: December 10, 2009, 08:35:43 AM »
Don't get me wrong though wcff3431 - I'm glad you posted the info.  I'm always looking for resources for medical supplies (even though I have my office to kind of plunder from  ;D).  Plus it led to a good discussion of basic wound care!
“By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail.”
 Benjamin Franklin

Holmes

« Reply #45 on: January 15, 2010, 06:45:16 PM »
I can't agree more with this statement. In the field, packing and dressing a wound is probably best for most people. I think most trained medical people (surgeons probably the exception here) would probably just close the wound without surturing with butterfly bandages, steri strips or the like for wounds that are "clean". Wound closure is probably best left to trained medical people. For most people just stick with bandages and dressings.

Totally agree.  A spray bottle of wound clenz and steri strips. 

Offline reefmarker

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #46 on: January 23, 2010, 06:23:03 PM »
I took an offshore sailing medical course many moons ago and they taught us to leave wounds open unless there was a huge overriding reason to close them up.  The closed wounds tended to get infected and make things worse.  The open wounds could drain, be monitored, and get fixed by a doctor when we could get back to "civilization."  Of course, covering and keeping them very clean were also important.

Any input from a doctor?

walker

« Reply #47 on: January 23, 2010, 06:41:41 PM »
I took an offshore sailing medical course many moons ago and they taught us to leave wounds open unless there was a huge overriding reason to close them up.  The closed wounds tended to get infected and make things worse.  The open wounds could drain, be monitored, and get fixed by a doctor when we could get back to "civilization."  Of course, covering and keeping them very clean were also important.

Any input from a doctor?

I am not a doctor, but I am a PA, and I agree with your training 100%.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 01:33:48 AM by Archer »

Offline doublehelix

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #49 on: December 01, 2012, 01:53:28 PM »

+1000 On your training.

An ugly scar beats dead from sepsis any day of the week.

Any input from a doctor?

Offline flippydidit

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Keep 'em shooting!
« Reply #50 on: December 02, 2012, 01:08:30 AM »
I would think that tampons without perfumes or dyes would be more useful than a suture kit.  They can be dipped in disinfectant and packed right into a GSW.  Of course.....they can also be used for their actual purpose as well.
Nate
Military/civilian gunsmith

"One of these centuries, the brutes, private or public, who believe that they can rule their betters by force, will learn the lesson of what happens when brute force encounters mind and force."
— Ragnar Danneskjöld, from Atlas Shrugged (Ayn Rand)

Offline flippydidit

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Keep 'em shooting!
Nate
Military/civilian gunsmith

"One of these centuries, the brutes, private or public, who believe that they can rule their betters by force, will learn the lesson of what happens when brute force encounters mind and force."
— Ragnar Danneskjöld, from Atlas Shrugged (Ayn Rand)