Author Topic: Soda Can Stove  (Read 9600 times)

Offline DIM TIM

• Survivor
Soda Can Stove
« on: July 01, 2009, 12:53:07 AM »
OK, for all of you guys that saw the soda can pop corn popper, here is one that I came across a while back, and put it in my survival and preparedness files. Hope you guys like it as much as I did. http://www.sosakonline.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=71&Itemid=35   ;D

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
Re: Soda Can Stove
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2009, 01:16:41 AM »
Hey Dim Tim, great addition to the soda can popper. Have you or anyone else made and used one of these?

Offline DIM TIM

• Survivor
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2009, 07:32:44 AM »
No, not yet. But now that I have seen the Soda Can Popper, I want to try both of them out right away. The stove itself was pretty cool when I first came across it, but add the popper to the thing, and you have a winning combination for sure.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2009, 07:35:06 AM by DIM TIM »

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2009, 12:07:01 PM »
Hmm, I'm camping in a few weeks again. I'll have to print this out and try it with my SAK...

Offline Beetle

• Proud Grandpa
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2009, 12:11:52 PM »
Very cool site...

Offline Red Dog

• Survivor
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2009, 04:50:16 AM »
Here's a link to the stove pattern I use. It is a little more complex than the first link but has some advantages. It's self regulating without the pot on the stove. Works very well and is very efficient. I've used a stove similar to the OP and it worked fine also, the penny stove is just a little more controllable and offers the abillity to control heat with a simmer ring.

http://www.csun.edu/~mjurey/penny.html

Offline DIM TIM

• Survivor
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2009, 11:44:42 AM »
Great Post there Red Dog. A +1 from me for sure.

I love these kinds of DIY projects. One thing that I forgot to mention, is fuel. We all know that these run off of alcohol, and it is easy enough to throw a bottle of rubbing alcohol in with the stove, but these would be better off being added to your medical supplies, and a quart can of denatured alcohol bought at the local paint or hardware store, and then some of the contents poured off into a cleaned and dried 20 oz. soda bottle for use with the stove.

I have a couple of East German military stoves that use alcohol, and one of the last times that I was at one of the local gun shows, I found a small water resistant bag that was just about the right size to carry it in, so I bought it. Best purchase that I made that day.
Not only did it hold the stove, stand, cook pot and the 8 oz. fuel bottle that came with it, but I still had enough room to add a small funnel used for adding white gas to a Coleman stove, and a quart can of alcohol as well.  ;D

Offline The Wilderness

• The Patriarch of Lunatics
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Dedicated Contributor
    • The Umbafa Chronicles
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2009, 03:00:17 PM »
Hey Dim Tim, great addition to the soda can popper. Have you or anyone else made and used one of these?

I made one last night. Took about a half hour to make.

Set it in an Esbit stove to act as a pot stand, it boiled a canteen cup of water in exactly 10 minutes. A good rolling boil. Total burn time was right at 13 and a half minutes.
I just dumped alcohol in it , so I am not sure how much I used in ounces, it was a little less than half full tho. The alcohol I used was 91% Isopropyl Alcohol.

I was very pleased with the way it worked and will probably build another, this time concentrating on getting the burner holes more uniform in size, I think that will help its performance. 

I like the penny stove link that Red Dog posted and will probably build one of those also.

DIY projects like these are my favorite posts and I would encourage everyone to build one of these stoves.

+1 DIM TIM and Red Dog

The Wilderness

Offline The Wilderness

• The Patriarch of Lunatics
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Dedicated Contributor
    • The Umbafa Chronicles
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2009, 04:35:04 PM »
Found this re: types of fuel to use.

http://www.survivalblog.com/2008/04/letter_re_homemade_alcohol_sto.html

I am not sure if this is correct, but it is worth looking into.

TW

Offline Cave Dweller

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2009, 04:44:53 PM »
I had it in my head to make one of those a while back.
Guess I better get to it.

Offline Red Dog

• Survivor
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2009, 08:21:35 PM »

TW

Being of age and all, I buy and use grain alcohol for the stoves. It's a great multi-use addition to your pack and if it leaks onto your food it's nontoxic. I find the odor of the wood alcohol to be somewhat offensive as it burns, but the grain alcohol has almost no smell as it burns. It can still be used as a disinfectant and of course as a social lubricant.

Offline DIM TIM

• Survivor
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2009, 10:35:13 PM »

TW
Yeah, I read this one a while back when it got posted. I use denatured alcohol in mine, and have had no problems with it at all. I buy it in quart cans, and use a coleman fuel funnel to fill a 1/2 pint plastic bottle for filling the stove itself. The quart can has a safety cap that seals real well, and I never carry any of the stuff like this with my food stores just in case.
Alcohol stoves have been around for many years, and they are great little space saving stoves for campers, backpackers, and survival minded folks. With a fair amount of common sense, they are very safe to use. As long as the fuel holds out, you can get a lot of heating BTU's for your meals, and when used with the reflective space blankets and the same common sense as you would use for heating your food, they will heat you up in cold conditions as well, and in certain cases this may be the difference between you surviving or not.

Offline mecha_buddha

• Prepper
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2009, 09:43:00 AM »
I have built a few of these stoves, mostly to tinker with.  There seems to be a lot of debate on fuels.  I have read that Meth alcohol is toxic, I have also read that denatured alcohol can have toxic additives and is not the same mixture batch to batch, so it can vary in heat output. 

When I run the stove I typically mix 1 part meth to 3 parts 91% Isyprop Alcohol.  It burns a little cleaner and hotter than just straight Isypropanol but the flame is visible (if you burn 100% meth it can be very hard to see the flame burn).

To tweak the efficiency of the stove, know what fuel you are burning and adjust the height of the stove and placement and size of the jet holes.

One last suggestion, use JB Weld to seal the two halves together.  since the fuel is vaporizing, it creates pressure. if too much pressure builds the two halves can pop apart.

Offline mxitman

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Entrepreneur/HVAC Mechanic/Electrician
    • Heezy
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2009, 04:25:35 PM »
They sure make that look easy..lol I was recently up in Canada and we went into a MEC (Mountain Equipment Co-op) Basically just and REI store but there prices were better, they had this sweet titanium alcohol stove there for about $28 it made by Vargo, here is the link
http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail.jsp?FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302696549&PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524442619786

I was thinking of buying it but didn't. If you search online you can find them for about $25 and they have a few other versions including one that looks like the soda can stove. I think I'll just build one now.

Thanks for the info

Offline TimSuggs

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2009, 09:45:35 PM »
One of the really neat things about alcohol stoves is they are all "STEALTH"!  No smoke, very little odor and not a lot of bright light output.  Try doing all of that with just about any other fuel source.  Yeah, I know, propane, etc., but you can probably find alcohol at 3:am in any all night grocery store.  Propane, a little harder to find at 3:am in the middle of a city.

Tim.

General. Preparedness

« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2009, 04:58:50 PM »
http://zenstoves.net/

This site is great! It has lots of info/designs on not only alcohol stoves put a lot of other camp stoves. I've made most of their designs with great success.

sarahluker

« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2009, 05:38:49 PM »
I have some cans ready to make the stove but am concerned about the sharp edges.  I wondered if any of you have some ideas of how to round or smooth the edges. 

Offline idelphic

• I Zgjuari I DynjasĂ«
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Theoretical Conceptualist - Avatar by Ada
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2009, 07:24:20 PM »
I have some cans ready to make the stove but am concerned about the sharp edges.  I wondered if any of you have some ideas of how to round or smooth the edges. 

While I can admit that the edges are sharp,.. generally you shouldn't have to worry about them.  Here in the last few year, I seem to have had an issue sharp edges,...  sliced my foot open,.. sliced my hand open,..(no comment...lol)

I didn't have any issues with cutting the cans apart and popping them together.  It was quite enjoyable as I like tinkering..

I have both of the sites tagged,..  need to go back and look at them and maybe cut out another one,.. before recycling day....

Offline bubtech

• Senior Survivalist
    • BUBWeb.com Websites starting at $10 per YEAR... WHAT!... YEAH!
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2009, 11:58:31 PM »
Just built one of these stoves, pics to follow.
Also built a survival whistle out of the scraps... too cool.
Pics to follow.
B

Offline Roknrandy

• He That Rocks:Viewer Discretion is Advised
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Master Spammer Obliterator
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2009, 07:02:24 AM »
great DIY gear here, including stoves.

http://www.backpacking.net/makegear.html

Offline Smith

• Senior Survivalist
  • another number
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2009, 08:49:36 PM »

Good question. I've made a couple of the open jet variety from the zenstoves.com and they all work pretty well as long as they are shielded from moderate to high wind. I found that when I sanded the edges it actually just sharpened them, so instead what I do is run a line of the JB Weld along the outside seam where the top and bottom meet and the inside seam where the top meets the inner cylinder. I let that dry and then lightly sand as though it were body putty. It also helps to seal any loose areas if you are like me and manhandle the top into the bottom.

Some more notes...
Vodka doesn't burn
typical 70% Isopropyl Rubbing Alcohol will work just fine, contrary to popular myth
no fancy potstands are needed, just grab 3 rocks or bricks to use tripod style
remember K.I.S.S. and don't try to complicate things

Offline Smith

• Senior Survivalist
  • another number
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2010, 05:56:45 PM »
More info....

Tried to build an altoid tin stove by the typical directions found on the internet. Basically an empty altoid tin filled with perlite and covered with window screen mesh, pour alcohol in and ignite. Sounds good enough but assuming you are using this as a survival skill or for backpacking know that your typical window mesh will not work as it melts and gives an uneven burn =(

Now if only I could find something to do with the 2 lbs of left over perlite I picked up for 2 bucks.

Saved the altoid tin and would appreciate any suggestions on how to make this work for cheap.

Offline fndrbndr

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2010, 06:04:41 PM »
Have you or anyone else made and used one of these?

I made one of these a while back. It worked pretty good for the size.

Offline kc9eci

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2010, 03:52:41 PM »
I think everyone in the shop where I work has a soda can alcohol stove.  I went through a 'phase' where I snapped one together on my break every time I had to pepsi cans emptied.  I've recently started making them out of aluminum soda bottles and Venom energy drink bottles.  The hardest part about using the Venom cans is drinking that crud.  Yuck.  Anywho, here is a video of the Venom stove I made:
alcohol stove

Here you can see two of my other alcohol stoves in action.  The beans are on a soda can stove, and the water is on a fruit tin with holes drilled around it.  I got the idea for that one from someone who had posted instructions for making a stove out of a cat food tin.  I had a case of 24 cans of fruit and the size was about right.
CQ WW VHF July 2009 Decorah Peak Part 9

Here I'm attempting to burn my eyebrows off by lifting the pan off one.  I was using rubbing alcohol at 50% and 70%.  It works, but not nearly as good as a yellow bottle of Heet. 
Alcohol Stoves

I've really got to give the popcorn popper a try, but I want to see if I can make the popcorn using the heat off my Uco candle.