Author Topic: Crochet - Flowery Throw  (Read 6459 times)

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
  • Wanna have an adventure?
    • WilderWolf
Crochet - Flowery Throw
« on: July 06, 2009, 01:19:32 PM »
I don't have the pattern in front of me, but if you want it, ask, and I'll post it here.  I got the pattern from a book called "learn to crochet in just one day!" at Joann Fabrics.  I learned to crochet from that book.  I love it.

I made this throw for a friend of mine's birthday present.  She loves it!  :)

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
Re: Crochet - Flowery Throw
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2009, 01:21:50 PM »
Nice! bet it's warm. I am trying to find the time to do this.

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2009, 01:22:36 PM »
Nice! bet it's warm. I am trying to find the time to do this.

Crochet, or knitting, or both?

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2009, 01:24:39 PM »
Crochet, or knitting, or both?
One needle, so crochet? I tried a few months ago since my wife does it, I got so tangled up.... Need to sit down and try it more slowly.

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2009, 01:26:24 PM »
One needle, so crochet? I tried a few months ago since my wife does it, I got so tangled up.... Need to sit down and try it more slowly.

crochet is awesome.  It's a bit easier than knitting.  I'm learning to knit cables now, and I'm falling all over myself with mistakes.  :D

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Geese Smuggling Moonbat
  • Survival Veteran
  • There are no mistakes, just Learning Experiences
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2009, 01:27:06 PM »
pretty.  I love to crochet.  unfortunately, my carpel tunnel is so bad, I can only do about 4 squares before my hands are killing me.  that is 4 squares total, not in a day, but total then I have to stop for months.  sigh.  I will never get another blanket done!

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2009, 01:29:40 PM »
pretty.  I love to crochet.  unfortunately, my carpel tunnel is so bad, I can only do about 4 squares before my hands are killing me.  that is 4 squares total, not in a day, but total then I have to stop for months.  sigh.  I will never get another blanket done!

I was at wal mart the other day and found an ergonomic crochet hook. It looks VERY comfortable.  Check it out, maybe!

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Geese Smuggling Moonbat
  • Survival Veteran
  • There are no mistakes, just Learning Experiences
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2009, 02:17:29 PM »
I was at wal mart the other day and found an ergonomic crochet hook. It looks VERY comfortable.  Check it out, maybe!

no, do NOT tell me that.. I would have to go buy one!  so far, although I have made about 6 huge afghans, only one did I buy anything for (my sister's wedding gift) - I inherited every size hook from A to M and 3 HUGE boxes of year from my grandma when she quit crocheting at age 103 (she couldn't see anymore!)

do they have various sizes?  I need to go find these, maybe put them on my birthday list this year (my in-laws are always wondering what I want!)

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2009, 03:17:02 PM »
no, do NOT tell me that.. I would have to go buy one!  so far, although I have made about 6 huge afghans, only one did I buy anything for (my sister's wedding gift) - I inherited every size hook from A to M and 3 HUGE boxes of year from my grandma when she quit crocheting at age 103 (she couldn't see anymore!)

do they have various sizes?  I need to go find these, maybe put them on my birthday list this year (my in-laws are always wondering what I want!)

I would think they WOULD have various sizes.  I'll look right now for ya.  *jeapordy music while I scan the internets*  Here, these are the ones I found.

Modified To Add: It looks like it's just a handle!  You may be able to stick the crochet hooks you already own into it! No, on second look, it's a different style of crochet hook that fits into it than the normal ones...  There's gotta be a slide on handle you can buy, like those pencil grippers that just slide on the pencil.  Hmmmmm...
« Last Edit: July 06, 2009, 03:19:54 PM by Sister Wolf »

Offline Darkwinter

• Junior Evil Overlord
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Has his wife's permission
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2009, 11:11:26 AM »
that is really cool SW! 

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2009, 11:39:10 AM »
Thank you so much, darkwinter!  :)

Offline wyochrissy

• Survivor
  • Actually, no one owes you crap.
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2009, 12:27:12 PM »
Archer - Try a very small project - like a scarf, or a dishcloth, or granny squares that you can attach together later . . . find yourself a little bag (like a 'ditty' bag from Sportsmans Warehouse, or some other kind of drawstring bag) for all your 'stuff' (knitting or crochet needles, yarn and foldable pattern or instructions) and  . . . wall-ah . . . you're portable.  Now, take it with you EVERYWHERE, in your purse, backpack or whatever, and you will be AMAZED at all the time you will find that you are sitting, waiting, watching, killing time, etc.  Soon all the little bits of 'dead' time in your life will turn into something useful!   :)

I'm a hockey mom with 4 kids, so I end up hanging around the rink a lot, waiting in my car a lot, in the passenger seat on long trips to tournaments, etc.  And I hate to 'waste' time, so I'm either reading, or working on some little yarn project.   :)  You might feel funny at first crocheting in front of people, but you will soon realize others are usually staring in envy that they don't know how to do something so simple, enjoyable and productive!  I have ended up teaching a few girlfriends how to do it after they see some of the cool things I've made.   ;D 

Offline Rookinde

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2009, 06:51:05 PM »
My mom does crochet.... I am going to look for that book that SW mention at the top.

Rook

sarahluker

« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2009, 06:59:23 PM »
Two older family members taught me the very basics of crocheting and knitting when I was a very young child.  I don't remember much of it but I want to take some lessons.  One special and kind of quirky memory I have is when my grandmother was in her late 70's she fell and broke her hip.  After her surgery she was asleep in her room and air-crocheting most of the time.  It was pretty cool and sad at the same time.  What skills so many of us have lost.

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2009, 07:55:17 PM »
What your grandma was doing is not surprising to me in the least.

I've begun to refer to my knitting as "medi-knitting".  It's like meditating, except better, because I can force myself to do it for far longer, and there's something tangible to show for it when I realize that I've spent 4 hours doing nothing but working yarn.  It makes every pain, every worry, every bad thing just sort of go away while you're doing it.  It's fairly mindless - and color work is my favorite.  I'm totally addicted.  Being able to sit there and go "4, 3, 4, 3, 2, 1, 1, 1, 3, 4" over and over and over and over again, then changing the counting mantra after the round is finished pushes EVERYTHING out of your mind (including, I would imagine, the mind-numbing pain of a broken bone).  Your grandma's brain was going to the one place where she found ultimate comfort - medi-knitting.  (or med-crocheting in her case)

Offline wyochrissy

• Survivor
  • Actually, no one owes you crap.
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2009, 09:27:22 PM »
Ya - I totally agree!  I love it when I get to knit or crochet before bed - helps my brain to shut down for the day.   :)  Seems like the worlds cares leave my head thru my fingers . . . I even wrote a poem about it a long time ago . . . don't know if I can find it . . .

Offline daemonpi

• Prepper
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2010, 11:43:01 PM »
That's a nice throw, the pattern is very reminiscent of my first afghan my mom made for me.  Well at least I claimed it first.  I've been thinking of starting to learn to knit and crochet, just haven't started to yet.

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2010, 11:58:49 PM »
If/when you decide to start knitting, there are some amazing videos on how to do anything you want to learn to do on youtube, as far as knitting is concerned.  In fact, I think some of them are posted here in the Needles & Strings board.  And if you need help, we're here for ya!

Offline Rosesandtea

• Survivor
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2010, 05:41:14 AM »
It is so lovely! No wonder your friend loves it. :)