Author Topic: Knitting - How to do a purl stitch, and a stockinette stitch  (Read 3684 times)

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
  • Wanna have an adventure?
    • WilderWolf
This video starts by showing a piece that has thus far been "knit stitched", then shows you how to purl.  If you purl all "odd" rows and knit all "even" rows, you will create a "stockinette stitch".

sage0925

Re: Knitting - How to do a purl stitch, and a stockinette stitch
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2009, 02:18:12 PM »
ok, correct me if I'm wrong here...

in knitting parlance, say you wanted a square that was 10 cast on stitches by 10 stockinette stitches...how would that be written down? I'm having a lot of trouble with the nomenclature and acronyms in patterns.

And thank you for starting this thread!

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
  • Wanna have an adventure?
    • WilderWolf
Re: Knitting - How to do a purl stitch, and a stockinette stitch
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2009, 03:14:31 PM »
ok, correct me if I'm wrong here...

in knitting parlance, say you wanted a square that was 10 cast on stitches by 10 stockinette stitches...how would that be written down? I'm having a lot of trouble with the nomenclature and acronyms in patterns.

And thank you for starting this thread!

Cast on 10 st

Row 1: P10
Row 2: K10

And so on for however many stitches there are in the series.  If it has a border, it might start off by saying, "cast on 10 st.  K 2 rows.  [Row 1 and all odd numbered rows: K2, P6, K2; Row 2 and all even numbered rows: K10] repeat "[]" until square is 2 rows from being finished.  at that point, K 2 rows."

Or it might say: 10 rows stockinette st
« Last Edit: July 06, 2009, 03:25:18 PM by Sister Wolf »