4 (3.8%)
Redding
0 (0%)
Forster
1 (1%)
Other
21 (20.2%)

Total Members Voted: 87

Author Topic: What is you primary brand of reloading equipment  (Read 16173 times)

n2light

Re: What is you primary brand of reloading equipment
« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2009, 09:12:32 PM »
Press:
Dillon 550B - 9mm, .38 and 45 ACP.  Soon: 30.06 for Garand and .30 Carbine
Lee - 303 British  Soon: 223 for Varmint rifle
MEC 9000 - 12 gauge

Dies:
Lee
Dillon

Digital and balance beam scales and most important reloading manuals.

Offline Ragnar

• Prepper
« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2009, 09:30:32 PM »
Dillon here. They are a great company to work with really stand behind what they sell.

Offline Zombie Axe

• Survivor
« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2009, 09:44:00 PM »
Use all RCBS stuff for now (RockChucker) but am looking at adding some dies... been considering the LEE's. Dillons are very nice, but there is something peaceful about using a single stage press :)

Really would like to reload my own shotshells :)

Offline kernal_panic

• Prepper
« Reply #33 on: February 26, 2009, 06:17:57 AM »
update to my setup:

by way of wrangling, and ebaying, I bought a guy out of all of his gear, which included a 550B. I really just wanted the 550B but i got some bullets and brass too. I sold off my SDB and a bunch of other gear I didn't need and I wound up upgrading to the 550B for FREE. actually I made a couple of dollars along the way.

so now its a 550B, Lee Classic Turret Press, and the mec sizemaster.

Offline bushidorobb

• Survivor
« Reply #34 on: February 26, 2009, 06:48:29 AM »
I have a Lee and a Dillon.  I purchased the Lee last year as my first venture into reloading.  A few months ago, I was given a Dillon 550B that needs some work to say the least.  I have used the Dillion to reload 8mm Mauser and the Lee to load .223.  Both are good at what they do, but the 550B from Dillon is much smoother in its operation IMHO.  That is impressive given the fact that the 550B was in bad shape when it SW given to me, ( many missing parts etc).  Customer Service has been great  from both Lee and Dillon.

Offline cohutt

• non semper erit aestas
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Don't Give Up Your Keys
    • Behind cohutt's Fence
« Reply #35 on: March 04, 2009, 06:30:24 PM »
Dillon 650 for 45, 9mm and 223, have the set up for 308 & 38/357 for future projects
Dillon 550 for 44 rem mag and 45-70 govt
Lee Classic cast for misc & utility work

Dillon 600 primer pocket swager
Lyman 2500 case tumbler

Lyman 20lb Casting Pot 
RCBS Lube-A-Matic II and Star sizers
Various Lee NEI & RCBS molds

Offline Hamilton

• Prepper
« Reply #36 on: March 08, 2009, 09:23:08 PM »
Press: RCBS single stage

Dies:
.22 var
.243 win
 7 mm
.308 win
.30/06
 7.7 jap
.380 acp
 9 mm luger
.38 spec
.357 mag
.40 s&w / 10 mm auto
.44 mag / .44 spec
.45 acp

My father used this press and most of the dies since the mid 60's while gunsmithing. He introduced me to the concept of reloading around '72, I was about 5.

He let me seat the primers while reloading for the local police dept's. practice rounds at the time (side job). That was probably a mistake...I spent many weekends sitting on the curb outside the house banging on primers with big rocks. And with easy access to gun powder, I was also the first kid in the neighborhood to have a rocket-powered skateboard.

I started making full use of the same RCBS equip. in the late 80's for my own firearms. This equipment is one of my favorite hand-me-downs.

Just bought the .40 s&w dies today and fixed me up 50 rounds of 180 jhp with 231. Still works like new....and slow as ever. I no longer skateboard.

Offline product85

• Survivor
« Reply #37 on: May 06, 2009, 05:34:35 PM »
Started out with lee, love their dies but put some time in on a relative's rockchucker and made the upgrade purely based on the amount of ammo i load, but in reality the lee and rockchucker both deliver and do it well.  only lee product i truly couldn't deal with was my powder measure.

Offline Live Free or Die

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #38 on: May 07, 2009, 05:22:03 PM »
I have had nothing but good luck with my Ponsness / Warren equipment. Very rugged tools.

Offline FreeSpirit

• Survivor
  • Freedom has its $
« Reply #39 on: May 07, 2009, 08:57:04 PM »
Dillon - great backing from company, great presses. 650  550 KING of the progressives
RCBS RC & Jr - handy and versatile for almost anything single stage easy setup
C&H H press - good pistol press allows for three die setup
Lyman Turret - Good press allows for 6 die setup

Lee good for money but does come out of adjustment more. Some equipment better for money than others. Progressive presses are a pain for me.

MEC jr, 650, Grabber. All good in their own rights. Lee shotgun okay for budget minded but used MECs JRs can be found for about the same money.

Lee is good for someone getting started with a budget in mind. Hard to beat the value. The more shooting you do, the more you will want better equipment.

Offline Texasbound

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #40 on: May 08, 2009, 06:24:48 AM »
I use the Lee stuff mainly due to budget.  I don't reload tons, so it works fine for me.  If I did more, I'd probably upgrade to a Dillon.

Offline product85

• Survivor
« Reply #41 on: May 11, 2009, 05:39:10 PM »

I have moved on from lee into a used rcbs rockchucker press ... and its as good as new and is at the very least a decade older than i am, if not two. I love reloading as much or more than shooting but as i often put it, i reload so i can afford to shoot but i couldn't afford to load with a dillon... i would spend too much bank on components, single stage keeps me a modest man.

Offline Pathfinder

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #42 on: May 11, 2009, 06:28:48 PM »
I cannot believe you left Dillon off the list. Really!   >:(

byronw999

« Reply #43 on: May 26, 2009, 02:35:26 PM »
I use a Hornady LNL progressive with auto case feeder as my main reloader.. Also use a Lee Classic Cast Turrent for smaller batches and a Mec Grabber for shotty loading

Offline The Sage of Monticello

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Lover of Liberty
« Reply #44 on: July 03, 2009, 06:35:34 PM »
I am only a year into the reloading experience. I have a Lee hand press, and chose it out of simplicity so that I could carry it in my bug out bag. The feeling I have knowing my reloading equipment is mobile provides me piece of mind.

Offline spitstickler

• Prepper
« Reply #45 on: May 13, 2010, 12:59:37 PM »
I started with the Lee Anniversary Kit, but have expanded into more RCBS. ...mostly dies and small tools. The Lee stuff works, but some of the smaller tools aren't made for long term or heavy use IMHO.

The only real issues I've had with the Lee equipment was regarding resizing some really stiff LC .308 brass. The Lee die set that I had was a little rough on the inside comparatively, and I had some stuck cases. I borrowed a set of Forster dies from a friend and had much better luck, but was still seeing wide variance in the resized cases. Through a lot of trial and error and using multiple types of lube, multiple types of dies, etc it really came down to the aluminum framed Lee press. It just wasn't up to this task. It's worked great for me with everything else though.

I've considered adding a Rockchucker, but have stars in my eyes for a Forster/Bonanza Co Ax.

Offline outdoorman63

• Survivor
« Reply #46 on: May 13, 2010, 01:10:21 PM »
we use lee turrent and single stage presses

Offline joeinwv

• The Bee Whisperer
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #47 on: May 13, 2010, 08:24:21 PM »
...  I personally choose Lee because I find them to be the most value for the money.  You can get some things with better quality from others but at the price point, Lee does a great job and I got everything for my first three calibers for less then one RCBS press and powder measure...
This exactly.

Offline ubergeek

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Numquam non paratus
« Reply #48 on: May 18, 2010, 08:28:21 AM »
I have 3 presses currently, a Dillon 650, which wasn't cheap but it sure does rock out the rounds. I use it for stuff I shoot high volume, .223, .45acp, 9mm, and even some 41mag. I have a RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme which I use for my highly accurized rounds, for hunting, long distance shooting, etc. I mainly load 308, 243 and 30-30 with it. The last is an old RCBS Rock Chucker that I got from my uncle. I don't currently have it mounted, but I figure at some point I'm going to turn it into my collet station.

I also use a Giraud trimmer, I like it more than any of the others out there.

Offline RacinRob

• Survivalist Mentor
  • I can be an ankle biter too!
« Reply #49 on: May 18, 2010, 10:43:15 AM »
I have the Lee Challenger Breech Lock Single Stage Press Anniversary Kit.  Locally I paid $100 for it.  Midway has them for $91.  for the 4-5 thousand rounds I load a year it does great.  My guess is that I am invested about $300 in my setup and i can load 9mm .45 .223 and .308.  I have a tumbler and everything I need.  Is it the best.... nope but I am not cranking out 50 -100K rounds a year so why bother.  Also, it has paid for itself many times over.  I would reccomend it to anyone that wants to try out reloading. 

Offline Rockhound

• Prepper
« Reply #50 on: May 25, 2010, 09:07:39 AM »
I use a Lee Turret Press.  I am a recreational shooter and do not have to load tons of ammo like those who shoot in competitions.  I reload for 9mm, 38 Special/357 Mag, 44 Special/44 Mag, and 45 ACP.  I have Lee dies set up on seperate turret plates, so changing between calibers is very easy.  If I were to take up shooting competetively, then I would invest in a good progressive press like a Dillon 550.