Author Topic: Notes on Knitting in the Round  (Read 2057 times)

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
  • Wanna have an adventure?
    • WilderWolf
Notes on Knitting in the Round
« on: July 10, 2009, 05:48:07 PM »

Notes on knitting in the round with double pointed needles:

There isn’t a video that shows it on youtube (everybody seems to have their own style of knitting in the round), but the easiest way to “join” the round, is to piggy-back one stitch from the beginning of one needle to the end of the other needle, like so:

slip 1 stitch from left needle to right:

then piggy back the stitch behind that stitch from the right needle to the left:

Piggy-Back the second stitch from the right needle to the left (be sure not to lose the first stitch that you just slipped in the process):

You only need to do this once (obviously), when you need to join the rounds together after you’ve cast-on, and spread the stitches out across the 4 needles. I know you can see that I have a bunch of stockinette stitches there on these pics. I just wanted to do a demo. I undid that piggy-back as soon as I did it.

When you’re knitting in the round, KEEP THE stitches facing INWARD. Otherwise, you are knitting the thing inside out, and will get cluster-mucked when you try to see how it’s going. Just keep the stitches facing inward, and eventually, you will be knitting like this:
If you don't have them face inward like this, you will be working your piece inside out. Not good.

Despite what a more experienced knitter might tell you about stitch markers, USE THEM. Without a stitch marker, it is VERY easy to lose track of where you are, especially when you put a project down for a week or longer. Besides, lots of very experienced knitters use stitch markers. Don’t be a snob and pretend you’re too good for them. You’ll regret it.

A stockinette stitch when you’re working in the round (rather than “flat knitting”) is JUST a knit-stitch. When you’re flat knitting, it’s “knit all RS rows, purl all WS rows”. Don’t worry about that. Just knit every row, and if your stitches are turned inward, it will result in a stockinette stitch. Purling is only for when you are interested in getting a bumpy surface on the front of the piece. You can see a few bumpy rows on my mitts that I’m knitting. Those are the purled rows. The rest is ALL knit. :)

That is all for now.

Hellchick

Re: Notes on Knitting in the Round
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2009, 07:32:03 PM »
Wow, I've been knitting since I was 19 and knitting in the round for what feels like forever, and yet I have NEVER come across this technique. Thank you so much for posting it!