Armory, Self Defense, And EDC > Black Powder and Primitive Weapons

Chemical uses - What chemicals are used for, what product contain specific chems

(1/1)

tankman1989:
I've always loved chemistry and I feel it very unfortunate that we are so severely limited in the chemicals we can purchase b/c of 3 letter agencies.  I just like experimenting and learning how things are made.  I also like the fact that I can make a 1000's of dollars of a product for a few bucks, if I know what I'm doing.  Chemistry may be the most profitable industry, by far, when it comes to manufacturing. 

I would love to have a forum dedicated directly to this.  The amount of knowledge gained in the last 20 years is astronomical, but the old, stand by chemistry - pre 1950 is priceless. 

The reason I bring this up is because I was recently at a gun show and stopped by a table that had a few chemicals.  They were for reloading 37mm flares.  They had aluminum powder (various grades), potassium perchlorate, potassium chlorate, potassium nitrate (salt peter) charcoal, iron oxide, magnesium powder, some kind of strontium and other powders.  There are a lot of things that could be made of these chemicals if the SHTF.  Currently it may be against BATF or state/local laws to use these chemicals for other uses than flare reloading. 

You could put the aluminum powder and iron oxide powder together to make thermite for casting iron (as the aluminum combusts with the oxide of the iron oxide leaving you with pure iron) or for welding pieces of steel or iron.    Thermite could also be used to start a fire very quickly, set a signal flare etc. 

Potassium nitrate, sulfur and charcoal are what makes up black powder
potassium nitrate and sugar can make a very dense smoke screen (600x volume of the powder)
aluminum powder (black german) an potassium perchlorate can make some flash powder that is INTENSE
Potassium permanganate, when combined with glycerine will make a very hot exothrmic reaction and will easily start a fire.  It also is good in a survival kit for it's sterilizing properties. 

I'm going to work on a lot more uses for some of these chemicals and other household chemicals, what they make when combined and where the best place to find them is. 

DeltaEchoVictor:
Ah yes, chemistry. 

Since someone has finally broached the subject, I'll only ask that you be prudent with what you choose to post. 

While many of us find this subject fascinating, & some of us even experiment at home, it's probably not very wise to use this site as a clearing house for recipes or "how to's" for certain things.  I'll remind everyone that this site is to be used for lawful purposes & we will not tolerate the posting of anything illegal. 

Also, if you blow yourself to hell while experimenting, you do so with the understanding that these forums will not be held responsible. 

With that said......  I really love to make smoke bombs (yes, the potassium nitrate & sugar kind), I'm having trouble finding colored dyes for them though.  Anyone have an idea of what kind I can use?

Jimbo:
For stuff that goes boom or makes purty smoke:
http://www.skylighter.com/
http://www.firefox-fx.com/kits.htm

KNOW THE LAWS OF YOUR STATE AND BE CAREFUL, DAMMIT!!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version