Author Topic: Physical Fitness  (Read 15412 times)

Offline RedneckFur

• Prepper
Re: Physical Fitness
« Reply #30 on: October 11, 2008, 06:41:55 AM »
I need to jump in on this too.  I've had a weight problem since I was a child. I've got the metabolism of a snail, and my rather unhealthy diet doesnt help that at all.  When I worked construction I was a bit more fit and weighed about 260.  Fast foward a few years, and now I spend alot of time behind a desk.  I also quit smoking last year (really packs on the pounds).  Last time I went to the doctor I tipped the scale at 307lbs.

I've got to do something about this.  Easiest thing I guess would be to cut out the junk food and start walking more every day.  I know i can comfortably do 4 miles so I'm going to try to start doing this every day.

One of my biggest problems is the motivation part of it.  I'm not good at giving myself a good kick in the pants when I need it. I need to be working on that too.

Offline 19kilo

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2008, 10:17:45 PM »

One of my biggest problems is the motivation part of it.  I'm not good at giving myself a good kick in the pants when I need it. I need to be working on that too.

That there was my biggest stopping point,  motivation.  Until I stepped on the scale and weighed 300 lbs.  I get sick thinking about that.  either way I am now down to 237 and know that I can never go back to being a ouch potato.  One of the best prep steps I have taken was to get in shape. 

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #32 on: October 12, 2008, 10:43:35 PM »
Congrats on your hard work!

Offline Puukko56

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #33 on: October 13, 2008, 09:57:08 AM »
I just finished my kettlebell workout for the day and I can just barely type my arms are so tired. I researched kettlebells at the beginning of this year and I liked what I read. A kettlebell is a weight that has a ball and a loop handle. they weigh anywhere from 10 lbs to 90 lbs. I started with and am still using a 35 lb one. I have been playing with the kettlebell since the beginning of this year but have only been serious about it the last 11 weeks. I have increased my strength and have lost 15+ lbs. While the kettlebell is not inexpensive, you only need one. They don't take up any room and are portable, I took mine on vacation with me. And you can't hang cloth's on one. The only room you need to do the exercises is room enough to lie down in. There 100's of exorcises on the 'net so if you get tired of one you can find another. If anyone would like I will post the workout I put together for myself. My kettlebell is made by the Go Fit Co. and they have a web site.

Offline Spamity Calamity

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Just a mall ninja at heart.
« Reply #34 on: October 13, 2008, 02:59:49 PM »
When I worked security years ago, I had to walk to each post which was a mile around. Once per hour, for a total of 11 miles per night.  I gained weight, but everyone thought I had lost at least 20 lbs.   I need that job now!

You know thats kinda been the deal for me too. Ive been weighing myself and very little change in the weight but ppl tell me I look thinner and Ive dropped one pants size and am fixing to go down another one pretty soon as well. Go figure. My calves are frickin hooj though!

Offline flagtag

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #35 on: October 13, 2008, 03:11:30 PM »
It's because muscle is heavier but more compact that FAT!  Solid vs "fluff".  While looking through an overnight case that I used while working security, I found a tool belt that I used then.  (Sob!  :'()  I couldn't even get it around me!  (I left everything in the same position as a guide)

Offline J.R. Morelli

• Prepper
« Reply #36 on: October 14, 2008, 01:24:19 AM »
Yeah, it seems like sometimes people put too much emphasis on not being obese and forget that physical fitness is just as important as losing unecessary weight. You want the right kind of weight, muscle mass, but not so much that you're so ripped that you've got no flexibility and can't run, walk, or hike long distances. Although sheer strength can be beneficial in some situations, personally I think for the versatility a survivor needs, endurance and practical strength (as we've discussed earlier) is more valuable than just losing weight or gaining visible muscle.

Offline flagtag

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #37 on: October 14, 2008, 08:24:29 PM »
My best weight has always been 145lbs. Which is more than I am "supposed" to weight (I'm 5'1"). I went on a diet (high protien, low carbs) several years ago. I felt that I was way too thin and didn't really feel that strong. (I had "bones" sticking out everywhere.) I didn't like me that thin. (I kept losing - which worried me) Then, I quit eating 6 times a day and gained it all back. 
So, being the "ideal weight" isn't necessarily the best either.

Offline Alchemyguy

• Prepper
« Reply #38 on: October 21, 2008, 03:44:58 PM »
I've got to do something about this.  Easiest thing I guess would be to cut out the junk food and start walking more every day.  I know i can comfortably do 4 miles so I'm going to try to start doing this every day.

That's exactly what you should do to start with; cut out the non-food you're consuming and start walking.  Once you've detoxed and aren't all achy from your walks, up the ante a bit.  Walk further, or try to walk faster.  It is one thing to stroll leisurely, it's quite another to walk like you have a purpose.  And you do, right?

The second point plagues most everybody, I think.  If you can find a buddy, somebody that expects you to be there to go for your daily walk/run/workout/whatever, you'll find it easier to stay motivated.  When you've worked up to jogging (if that's the route you're going; I don't really subscribe to the long duration, low intensity cardio thing), there are plenty of clubs that meet regularly.  Sports clubs are also good, if you're into that.

Whatever you do, resistance training is important.  Hours of cardio aren't going to get you to where you want to be; building functional muscle built on a foundation of endurance will.  If you don't want to join a gym, invest in a small set of free weights.  Bodyweight exercise is also a great way to become stronger, especially in the core muscles.  The take home message is to get out there and do it, whatever you decide to do.

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #39 on: October 21, 2008, 04:15:36 PM »
I have been commuting on my bike to work somedays with a friend. I also go out walking to collect bottles/cans that I can recycle for 'prep money'. When I walk... I take Jack with me...

I need to get back into martial arts..

Offline Spamity Calamity

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Just a mall ninja at heart.
« Reply #40 on: December 08, 2008, 07:35:09 PM »
Went to the doctor a few weeks ago. According to them Ive lost 24 pounds! But yeah I cant wait to get a sit on your ass Network or Computer Technician job. Ill go to the gym if I have to but Im sick of reading meters.

Offline 19kilo

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #41 on: December 08, 2008, 09:30:22 PM »
Congrats on the weight loss.

Been holding steady here since I can;t really ride the bike lately.

Bonehead

« Reply #42 on: December 09, 2008, 02:15:05 PM »
I recently started running with the couch to 5K podcast... basically you go from couch potato to being able to run a 5K in three months. I've never really been the athletic type so its been kicking my butt. In about 2 weeks I went from doing 10 girl pushups to being able to do 25. Ive been getting about 100 in everyday. I have a ways to go but I think Im in the best shape of my life even though its still round.

Which podcast are you using?  I did a quick search and it looks like there are a couple of folks that have turned the schedule into a podcast.

Thanks for pointing me to this, I was a distance runner once upon a time (20 years ago), now I'm a typical office jockey who could use a good excuse to get back in shape instead of just talking about it.

KyFarmer

« Reply #43 on: December 11, 2008, 08:50:38 AM »
Anyone that is in great condition have any  diet tips... not like lose weight and look great diets but tips on ways to supplement a workout for just getting healthier and stronger.
If you want a great "functional strength" workout - I can hook you up.  My wife's a trainer.  She's got me on a plan that's tough as hell - I'll scale it down for beginners - but it'll give you core/functional strength without making you "muscled up".

Offline ANARCHYisnotCHAOS

• Prepper
« Reply #44 on: November 01, 2009, 11:19:33 PM »
Having my personal trainer certification makes me feel like posting here but so many people have the right idea I am not sure what to write. It really is just math in the end, its like a budget. You spend more than you make and the wallet gets skinny, you burn more calories than you consume and the same happens.

My plan is pretty basic:

Mon-Chest

Tue-yoga/forearms

Wed-Back

Thur-legs

Fri-yoga/calves

Sat-Shoulders

Sun-whatever

All this is centered around strength training. I also try to consume 1 gram of protein per lb of bodyweight in my bulking phases. I also take long walks on the weekends too.

I fall off the wagon every once in a while but I usually manage to find my way back to something like a schedule.

I am 28 and can tell a major difference in how hard it is to stay lean as compared to just a couple of years ago. Its that evil beer that does it!

Offline Jimbo

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #45 on: December 02, 2009, 09:21:14 AM »
 As I get older, am still working out, but have made some changes to my routine. I do the eliptical machine instead of running and do body weight/calisthenics instead of weights these days because my joints aren't what they used to be. On the weekends, I walk the fat doggy for 2 hours wearing a ruck and a "Nam era flakjacket, am a Guard bubba, hence the exercise wearing body armor.

Meal wise, I eat like this: B-fast is oatmeal flavored with honey, powdered milk and raisins or craisins. Lunch is a hunk of bread I baked, tomatoes or pickles, apple or pear and an orange. Dinner is bean soup & a hunk of home baked bread. If I'm on the road, that's when my diet goes to hell & my over 40 metabolism kicks my ass... It has lately, so am getting back into my healthy eating routine.

Offline Steelhead

• Prepper
« Reply #46 on: December 02, 2009, 11:54:12 AM »
www.crossfit.com

It's worked wonders for me.  I do most of the workouts in my garage with a pullup bar, sandbags, dumbells and jumprope.  Gained muscle, lost fat and two belt loops pretty quickly.

Lay off the sugar and huge quantities of processes bread type stuff.

It hurts pretty bad, but the results are great. Scale the workouts to your physical abilities and build from there.  You don't have to join one of their gyms, I can't.

Offline firefly

• Survivor
  • I aim to misbehave
« Reply #47 on: December 05, 2009, 04:48:01 PM »
I am 28 and can tell a major difference in how hard it is to stay lean as compared to just a couple of years ago. Its that evil beer that does it!

Me too, after 25 I could feel it all over my body when I ate a meal that I shouldn't.  That and other changes motivated me to start working out. As a teenager though I hated it. 

To all you folks out there, you should do whatever exercise looks fun to you.  Every woman I've ever met thinks that dancing is fun, so dance ladies, dance.  Most men I've met think that they can fight or that fighting is fun, so that's a great option for most men.  I'm partial to boxing, you learn how to fight, but more importantly how not to quit.  To start off any kind of exercise regimen walk a lot, for at least an hour three or four times a week.   

Nutrition is very important too, it's twice as important as exercise, you can look great by only eating a proper diet.  You don't need to count calories or carbs and protein and all that, it's really quite simple.  Cut out all the bad stuff, fast food chips and greasy foods, we all know what's bad for us.  Make the effort to eat some kind of real fruit and real vegetable each day, preferably in the morning just to get it over with.  When you feel hungry drink a large glass of water and wait 15 minutes.  Hunger and thirst have the same symptoms in our body. If you drink water and are still hungry eat something small until the hunger pangs go away.  BUT ONLY EAT WHEN YOU FEEL HUNGRY!.  Over time you will notice that you're getting hungry at the same time each day; that's your circadian rhythm talking to you, your body will begin to optimize it's digestion when you eat at the same time each and every day.  The thing about nutrition is that when you start eating right,eating the good food doesn't make you automatically feel better, but you stop feeling bad all the time.  So stick with it. 

If you keep a consistent routine with your diet and exercise  nothing will stop you. 

Offline PositiveForce

• Prepper
  • Never ponder on negative thoughts
« Reply #48 on: December 09, 2009, 11:20:47 AM »
I am pretty active, I work out 5 days a week Mon-Fri from 5:30am to 7:30am. I'm fortunate enough to work for a place that has a fitness center for employees. I utilize the gym before work (my shift starts at 8:30) so my exercise time will not hamper the family time at home. I don't miss any of the kids school plays or sporting events but I'm beat by 9:00pm (on the downside) One thing I do as part of my work-out is I like run between 3 and 5 miles a day, and while I do this I listen to TSP on my i pod, which really is what has gotten me so hooked on the show. So if you are planning a walk or run as part of your work-out routine, just download TSP from i tunes and listen while you go.

Offline ShooterReady

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #49 on: December 10, 2009, 05:53:16 PM »
Guys,

This will be kind of long so bear with me.  I started down your same journey in September 2001.  I'm an airline pilot and after the attacks on 9/11/01 realized I need to get back in fighting shape.

I had let myself go.  While not obese, I was overweight and had no cardio.  Was drinking too much and the occasional cigar was turning into the 'occasional, every night' cigar.

I started with walks in the park with the dog.  He had to pull me up some of the hills!  My back was in terrible shape from all the sitting in my job.  On top of that my flexibility sucked too.

After a year of walking, then slowly graduating to running a mile, then two, then three.  I got a weight set and worked out in the basement.  That was OK, but with all the travel it was difficult to maintain a regiment when gone 3 to 4 days a week.  About that time I started taking BJJ classes.  To my amazement a weight room wasn't required for a good workout!  After some time I discovered body weight exercises.  Now, any workout is good but for me the bodyweight stuff clicked.  I can do it in a hotel room, in the basement, the backyard, wherever.

I recently discovered the TRX (www.fitnessanywhere.com).  Before I go any further: I am NOT affliated with them in any way.  I make no money from the sales of any of their offering.  As a matter of fact you can buy the TRX for about 50% on ebay compared to the price on the parent company's website.  It's a great workout and while it can be very intense (a Navy SEAL invented it after all) my wife enjoys ot greatly.  I get a core ripping workout in on it 4 times a week.

My typical routine is 3 or 4 days a week using the TRX for 30-35 minutes.  Add in 3 days a week running.  A slow jog will work when you start but intervals will develop that 'burst' fitness ability that was talked about earlier in the thread.  I see it all the time in BJJ (which I now teach), guys that can literally run for hours (we had an ultra marathoner come in) are spent after 5 minutes on the ground.  Part of that was his lack of technique (not trash talk - he was just new to the BJJ/grappling world), part of it was that long distance running does not prepare one for explosive activities.  However, in my experience, training to be explosive will help the endurance side. 

The most important part of physical training is mental.  You CAN do it.  Your body WILL do whatever your mind tells it to do!  Just get your doubts out of the way and get it done.  Talk to yourself like you're encouraging a child.  When was the last time you told a child he/she couldn't do something because they are too dumb, weak, untalented, fat, skinny, whatever??  You most likely told them that with hard work and determination they can do anything - what makes us think we are any different??

Last bit:  I was playing golf at a high end course and a caddy was required.  I was playing terribly.  This hurt because I'm a low handicapper and this was ruining a beautiful day on a gorgeous course.  After I had chewed myself out for the umpteenth time my caddy, who looked to at least 137 years old, looked at me and said, "Son, what would you do if I talked to you like that?"  I told him I'd throw his ass off my (golf) bag and carry it myself.  He said, "So why do you put up with it from yourself?"

Thanks for listening guys.  I look forward to learning a lot from all of you.

Offline NightCat

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #50 on: December 15, 2009, 02:48:14 PM »
I have to agree on the crossfit.com workouts. Here is what I do: I spent some time at a good crossfit gym to learn the basic exercises including some of the olympic barbell lifts that require specific techniqes. Other instruction on using kettlebells and so forth has been very helpful. Now I try to go once per week (to save $$) or less, but I docrossfit type workouts on my own (along with other types of workouts) either outdoors in a park (kiddie parks are a useful resource for apparatus to do pullups, dips, rows etc.) or at a gym that i joined. It's a non-franchise gym focused on body building so there are tons of free weights and plenty of barbells unlike say, some 24 hr fitness types of places.

You can do the crossfit workouts on your own and there are many many blogs and websites with sample workouts. Most of the time, the workouts are completed in 30 minutes or less - and you can scale them to whatever suits your fitness needs. For example, I can't do handstand pushups but i do pushups with my feet elevated on a bench and will gradually increase the height of the bench. I could also substitute shoulder presses with either a barbell or dumbells.

The key is to scale the workouts - if it says "run a 5k" and you can't run - either walk it or do 3 miles on the elliptical or ride your bike 10 miles or swim or whatever cardio you can do for 30 min.

There are some sites/blogs with body weight only workouts like pushup, pullups, burpees, squats, lunges etc. Those can be KILLER!

Another site with some good info and videos on more survival oriented workouts is Marks Daily Apple. (marksdailyapple.com) For example, one video submitted by a young man involved him running a certain distance carrying a sledge hammer, hammering the ground 10x (to simulate killing or butchering a deer?), picking up his younger sister or her friend over his shoulder and running back to the start (to simulate carrying the prey back to camp). He did this multiple times. Pretty interesting and creative I thought!

For some interesting ideas on weight loss and diet, check out John Gabirel's method. (gabrielmethod.com) He gives some good ideas on how to get more nutrition into what you are eating and use good nutrition to help with weight loss. No diets here.

If you would like any ideas on exercises shoot me a message. I'm a certified personal trainer and physical therapy student so I have some good resources.

Good luck everyone!

Offline CR Williams

• Survivalist Mentor
    • In Shadow In Light
« Reply #51 on: December 17, 2009, 11:52:31 AM »
Keep in mind, too, that there are actually three...areas, I guess...of fitness to be considered:

Anaerobic fitness, which is what you'll need for that quick fight-for-life (even if it's with guns).
Aerobic fitness, which keeps you going through a long on-foot evac or get-home situation (or in running away after that quick fight-for-life).
Muscular strength and endurance, which helps with manual/heavy labor situations and emergencies where you need POWER.

Not all exercise programs work on all three of them. Most that I've seen emphasize one or at most balance two over the others.

Flexibilty/Range Of Motion is a fundamental necessity for day-to-day life, much less in emergencies, and should always be a part of any routine.