Author Topic: I need to get fit...Doc ordered Weight Watchers  (Read 6526 times)

Offline wbo3

• Survivalist Mentor
I need to get fit...Doc ordered Weight Watchers
« on: October 28, 2008, 08:19:29 PM »
Ok, my doctor told me this week I need to start going to weight watchers meetings.  I am apparently too fat for my own good. (5' 8"; 260 lbs)  Does anyone have any experience with them, and what can I expect.  I am going to try to go to the center and get signed up, but I am a little on the nervous side.  It seems like I am an alcoholic on my way to my first AA meeting: I know it will probably help, but I don't like the idea of admitting I have a problem.

Maybe if I lose enough weight instead of having 3 months of food in the house, it would magically become 6 months...I am sure I eat at least double what I need.

Offline 19kilo

• Survivalist Mentor
Re: I need to get fit...Doc ordered Weight Watchers
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2008, 12:15:08 AM »
Did he order it for High cholesterol or blood pressure?  Or just that  your overweight? usually all three go together but there are those out there who can be as big as a house and have nothing wrong with them other than carrying the weight other another person in their ass.

Either way, you won't do well unless you think you are too big for your own good.  I would also see if there is any Dean Ornish groups in your area.

http://www.pmri.org/?p=mhb 

Good luck to you and the goals you set.

Offline Heavy G

• Distorting the Space-Time Continuum
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • A misfit ant in a grasshopper world.
    • 299 Days
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2008, 07:20:53 AM »
I don't have a specific answer for you about Weight Watchers.  But I have some first hand knowledge of the overal situation.

Exercise.  Even light exercise.  I know, I know "that's what every one says."  I'm telling you, it worked on me. 

I started at 5 minutes once a week and thought I would die.  Now it's two hours three times a week.  I feel like a slug if I miss a work out. 

Key is making adjustments in your schedule so you have five minutes once a week.  Sounds funny, but seriously.  And having time to eat decent food.  Trust me: you'll feel better.  You'll live longer.

Oh, yeah, and the best part: your woman will ultra dig it.  I'll just leave it at that.  Now THAT makes it worth it.

millerized1

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2008, 09:52:05 AM »
Biggest thing I've noticed about my wife being on WW is that you have to watch what you put in your mouth.  It's not about the food, it's about accountability for your actions.  When you write down what you've eaten, is suddenly becomes relevant.  Not knowing how much you eat is usually where you go wrong.  Once you know where you're getting the calories, once you understand that's the problem, it's simply a matter of setting goals, getting reinforcement and sticking to it.  Ignore the "journaling" or documenting what you eat, and you don't move much if at all.

She's (my wife) gone from 196 to 146 the first time, and from 170 to 146 the second. She wasn't happy with herself after the first time.  A bit of counseling and positive reinforcement put her back on track, and she's held 146 for over a year.

First time I set her a reward: You get into loose size 8's, you can have a $1000 shopping spree at your favorite clothing store.  I figured my $1000 would be safe, so I didn't start saving the money.  Once I saw her coming home from WW with goals and setpoints being met, I started saving profusely!  She hit it, got into loose 8's (I might say they looked pretty nice on her ;)) and for a while was very happy with herself.  She quit watching what she was eating, quit attending the meetings (don't just go to weigh in, stay for the meetings if they have them) got depressed, ate, depressed ate....then she couldn't fit into her brand new wardrobe and got more depressed.  Poof, depression over, more support from family members and a close friend who was going as well, and was back on track.  She's setting at 144-146, depending on the day.  Her goal is 140, but she's not pushing towards it, rather letting it come to her.  She still watches what she eats, and documents it. 

Best of luck.  It IS possible to lose weight.  It IS possible to feel good while doing it.  What is IMPOSSIBLE is doing it overnight.  It's going to take some time, so don't get depressed when you wake up tomorrow and you're not in 32x32 and shirt off at the beach fit.  You didn't get there overnight, don't expect to lose it overnight. If you need "help", ask the folks at WW.  That's what you're paying them for....and that's what they're there for.

Good Luck, and we hope to see less of you next time ;D

Offline Puukko56

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2008, 07:58:15 PM »
Start slow. Walking is more than likely best. Start with a length of time that is easy for you. Ten minutes, 15 minutes whatever feels right for you. In a week or so add 5 minutes. when you get to half an hour start to add different exercises. The internet has hundreds of exercise programs. Too many people jackrabbit right away and wind up stiff and sore for a week or so and kills any thought of exercise. I walk and do a kettlebell workout. I eased into both. I like to say it took me years to get out of shape, there is no quick way to get back into shape.

SueDonim

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2008, 10:01:44 PM »
Agree it is a long process.  I have lost 27 pounds and it took me about 6 months to do it.  Still should lose another 20-30.  But in much better shape and have much more energy

I happen to have a stairmaster at home.  It helps tremendously as I can veg out on the TV while exercising.  Worked up from 250 calories a day to 1000 calories a day.  At the same time, have been catching up on "24", "Star Trek: The Next Generation", "Star Trek: Enterprise", and just starting "Deep Space Nine" (yeah, I'm a geek).

Offline 19kilo

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2008, 02:54:57 AM »
Actually sue 27 lbs is about right on target.  I was told 1-2 lbs a week.

Offline CBMS

• Survivor
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2009, 02:37:18 AM »
+1 to Millerized
My GF had the same scenario (minus the 1k bucks I am a Student, Remember!) It is for sure a thing to do and dont worry about being a guy or anything else. The people there all really want to see you succeed. Stay for the meetings, even if you dont think you need to, it helps to be with a group of like minded individuals to keep you on the up and up.
Also get a food scale and NEVER use your home weight scale, only weigh yourself at the meetings. It helps with your self confidence.
Now I just need to get my GF to start going agian (she does want to, just needs some incentive), maybe a shopping spree or vacation would do it... hmm Its swim suit season coming up for me... maybe a treat for both of us (I know, I'm selfish :D)
Good luck, and also there are a few sites online that have Points calculators Calorieking.com (ithink) and there are sites that have recipes that have set point values
Good luck!
CBMS

Offline vicious

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Building a better future
    • Payne Country
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2009, 08:42:44 AM »
I'm doing the weight watchers thing, although my wife goes to the meetings, and I have to say it.s one of the better diets I've dealt with. My problem is not wanting to feel hungry and over-eating. With WW I can eat until I'm full, but I have to make a very conscious effort to keep WHAT I'm eating under control. Take Taco Bell for instance, I used to go in and get burritos and all the great tasting stuff, but now I can go in and have a meal with the Fresco chicken or steak soft tacos, get full, and not go over my daily allowance.

Good luck!

Offline wbo3

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2009, 01:23:42 AM »
Hey folks...I finally started weight watchers at the beginning of December...December 8th to be exact.  Anyway, I wanted to report back and let anyone know that is thinking about it, do it.  I have lost 35 lbs so far, not to bad for 8 weeks.  I still have a VERY long way to go, but I am making quick progress.  It is very easy to do, I just had to change some of the things I was eating...I eliminated almost everything I was eating that was high in fat...mayo, cheese, etc.  The weigh started flying off when I did that.  I even joined a gym last week...if things keep progressing at the rate they are now, which I doubt they will, it should slow at some point, but if they do, I will be back on my bicycle by the end of spring...something I used to love to do.

Offline rustyknife

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2009, 01:07:38 PM »
Might try Nutri-systems Plan...my wife did very well on it and we discovered that almost all of the food items they send will fit nicely into our existing food storage. Good luck with what ever program you decide to use, I need to loose about 25 lbs myself. Once she lost the weight she wanted we continued to order the food for another two months so we have it in case.

millerized1

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2009, 05:14:39 PM »
I have lost 35 lbs so far, not to bad for 8 weeks. 
W00T!!!
Congrats!!!

Pretty soon, you'll be half the person we've gotten used to!

Just watch what you put in your mouth, and watch it come off your a$$ :)

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2009, 11:37:49 PM »
Congrats!

Offline Heavy G

• Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
    • 299 Days
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2009, 07:18:57 AM »
Exercise, even a little, is fabulous.  I missed a work out this week and I couldn't fall asleep as easily.  Then I worked out.  Slept like a rock.

So exercise helps with more than just weight control. 

MikeMartin

« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2009, 04:27:09 PM »
I say

Screw Weight Watchers!

1.  Walk
2.  Walk more
3.  Go low carb
4.  It will take care of itself

millerized1

« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2009, 05:11:39 PM »
I say

Screw Weight Watchers!

1.  Walk
2.  Walk more
3.  Go low carb
4.  It will take care of itself

Shows what little you know about weight watchers and losing/keeping weight off.

If you want to discuss this, please feel free to run with it, but be prepared to learn something new compared to your current view on dieting.

andymedic

« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2009, 05:09:51 PM »
First hi all just a lurker coming out of the shadows.  ;D  Why did he/she recommend weight watchers specifically? Mine has been careful not to recommend a specific program. I have been yo-yoing up and down for more than a year and getting worried. My family history is not good dad and grandfather died at 49 and 50 respectively. So i thing its time to quite kidding my self but what are the meetings like? Any help would be appreciated. :)

Offline wbo3

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2009, 06:02:11 PM »
He recommended Weight Watchers because it teaches portion control as well as concentrates on the right types of foods to eat.  I have lost about 40 lbs so far, I still have a ways to go, but I have also started going to the gym as well.  Hopefully it will continue to fall off.  I really do not think I will make what is my "ideal" weight, it is really unrealistic.  I will however make it to the weight goal my doctor has recommended.  Where do they get those ideal weight charts anyway, very few real people have those body types...according to the charts, many years ago I was still 20lbs over weight, yet I had less than 4% body fat (checked with calipers...).  My doctor wants me within 10 of what I weighed then.  I can whole-heartedly recommend them, it has worked for me.

Offline Heavy G

• Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
    • 299 Days
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2009, 08:10:39 PM »

I have also started going to the gym as well. 

wbo3:

The gym, even a little of it, is absolutely key.  I started going about 10 years ago when I was 40 pounds heavier.  5 minutes on the elliptical machine winded me.  Now it's 45 minutes of elliptical and 45 minutes of weights three times a week. 

I mentioned in a previous post all the good things that come from exercising but I'd like to emphasize one: I sleep SOOOO much better now.  I missed a work out last week and didn't sleep that well that night.  Then I worked out and slept like a baby.  A direct cause and effect relationship.

Here's how great working out has made me feel: I seriously wonder in a SHTF scenario if I'll get enough exercise.  It's part of my planning.  I guess I'll be battling zombies so that'll be a good work out.  But if I have to bug in during a pandemic, I'll be doing weight training with ammo cans.

Offline wbo3

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2009, 05:32:25 PM »
Went to the doctor again, finally.  I have lost over 40 lbs now.  He is starting to pull me off of my medications as well since I lost all this weight.  I still have another 40 lbs to go to get to where he wants me, but when I go back in 2 months, he is going to actually take me off my blood pressure medication, which is the biggie.  He wants me to come off each one slowly, one by one, so hopefully by Christmas I will be completely medication free.  I celebrated by spending an hour on the exercise bike at the gym, followed my a little light weight lifting.  I can't start doing heavy weights yet, I am working on recovering from tennis elbow...and I have never played tennis.  I have a good friend who competes as a body builder, I worked out with him several years ago before I got so fat, he is going to be helping me with the weight aspect of my fitness, and I am about light enough to get back on my road bike.

It is absolutely amazing to me how well Weight Watchers works.  If any of you are thinking about it, stop thinking.  Do it.  Yesterday.  I already feel so much better than I have in the last several years, I can't wait to see how I feel when I get on down.

Offline Dirt Rider 3006

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2009, 06:01:17 PM »
Great Job wbo.... A little dedication and follow thru goes a long way.

I can definitely relate to HeavyG when it comes to missing a work out. I just started working out again this week since having pnuemonia and last night I had the best nights sleep in a month. What a difference in the way you feel.

Keep it up wbo......