Author Topic: airguns are considered "firearms"  (Read 19186 times)

Juggernaut

airguns are considered "firearms"
« on: July 18, 2009, 06:16:30 PM »
http://www.pyramydair.com/blog/2005/09/benjamin-392397-60-years-later.html           this is ridiculousness ....... 

Offline Jimbo

• Survivalist Mentor
Re: airguns are considered "firearms"
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2009, 02:21:41 PM »
 Well, y'know the crips-n-bloods are doing mad drive by pellet gun shootings!  >:(

Offline Cool Blue

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2009, 09:15:44 PM »
Here in Canada if they fire over a certain velocity, I believe 500 feet per second, they are considered firearms and you need a license and registration for it.

The government at one point even was planning on making you register crossbows!

Offline sandanbob

• Prepper
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2010, 06:48:11 PM »
I had read that in some areas this is the case.  I still think it's nuts to call a pneumatic rifle or pistol a "firearm." 

Offline Cool Blue

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2010, 06:55:25 PM »
I had read that in some areas this is the case.  I still think it's nuts to call a pneumatic rifle or pistol a "firearm." 

They were originally going to also include crossbows and compound bows under the definition of "firearm" and require them to be registered.  They backed off but the legislation gives the government the option to bring it in later.

Offline Greg687

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2010, 08:44:13 AM »
Well, this depends on who is defining it.  In Texas, according to the Penal Code (the one that gets you thrown in jail and the one most cops know well) a firearm is only a weapon shooting a projectile using the force of a chemical reaction (ie, gunpowder).  However, the game wardens rules define a firearm as anything capable of shooting a projectile, so airguns fall under that.  The Penal code would likely classify an airgun as a deadly weapon if it were used as such.  Each state has it's own laws.  You have to be aware of how they are applied to the situation you are using the gun in.  State statutes are very easy to find online.

Offline JerseyVince

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2010, 10:31:39 AM »
ALL airguns are considered firearms in New Jersey with the exception of paintball guns and require a permit for purchase but only in a few places can a kid go outside and shoot a BB/pellet gun without some twitchy neighbor calling for a JTTF reaction team to arrest the "ARMED GUNMAN" shooting cans and squirrels

Offline beagle76

• Survivor
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2011, 11:51:11 AM »
In Massachusetts BB guns and pellet guns are not concidered firearms. There is a specific statute that covers air guns. If a person is 18 or older there is no permit needed to purchase or possess one. An Attorney General Advisory Opinion advises that Air Soft guns are BB guns. Massachusetts case law has decided that paint ball guns are not BB guns. Persons under 18 cannot possess one unless they are supervised by an adult or possess a valid hunting license and a permit issued by the chief of police.

Offline IKN

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2014, 06:10:19 AM »
Here's asite that has a compiled listing of Federal and State laws/restrictions concerning airguns as of October 28, 2013. http://smartgunlaws.org/non-powder-guns-policy-summary/

Offline Moonvalleyprepper

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2014, 07:57:46 AM »
In MI if it's .22 cal or larger it's a "firearm". I was checking out airguns on various sites and they won't ship the .22 cal one's to MI.

.... :banghead:......

Paintball guns are excluded from law.

Offline armymars

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2014, 11:41:37 AM »
I thougt that in Michigan if it was under 30" in lenth and over 17 cal with rifled barrel it was concederd a firearm. Rifles could be shiped to MI, but most places won't because of the pistol laws. They don't want to take a chance. If it now includes rifles then they've changed the law on me. BB guns have smooth bores so they were ok. My last rifle purches by mail was back in 2000 so I could be out of date.

Offline Rangeboss

• Senior Survivalist
  • MSB member
    • The Shooters Podcast
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2014, 03:26:17 PM »
In some counties, they group all projectile shooting devices into the "firearm" category so they can prevent people from shooting in back yards. No BB guns, archery and such. As usual, it is a bureaucratic thing.

Offline Scottman

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2014, 03:29:03 PM »
yes in MI my 13xx guns are registered. To not have them registered would make me a felon. Many sporting good stores were selling illegal handguns and I believe a lot of people didn't know they purchased something without the proper paperwork.

Having a stock on a 13xx gun with the length not being great enough might mean you have an sbr.

Having an installed shroud might mean you have an unregistered suppressor.

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2014, 06:08:52 AM »
PDF of MI firearm laws.

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/Publications/Firearms.pdf

pg 137

CHAPTER XXXVII
FIREARMS

750.222 Definitions

(d) “Firearm” means a weapon from which a dangerous projectile may be propelled by an explosive, or by gas or air. Firearm does not include a smooth bore rifle or handgun designed and manufactured exclusively for propelling by a spring, or by gas or air, BBs not exceeding .177 caliber.

yes in MI my 13xx guns are registered.

Scottman, what's a 13xx?

Offline theBINKYhunter

• Does not fall well with plastic guns...
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
  • Not a tactical baddass
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2014, 07:01:56 AM »
that sucks. i don't have time to find the ARS code right now, but i know that a firearm is something that expels a projectile through the use of gunpowder. i can fire my air rifle in my back yard all day long.

Offline Scottman

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2014, 05:53:18 PM »
13xx gun, example includes the 1377 and the 1322

Offline TexasGirl

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Simple country farm girl. Prepper? What's that?
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2014, 08:01:32 PM »
13xx gun, example includes the 1377 and the 1322

Do you have to register all guns in MI?  That would be the pitts.  I thought MI was the "militia" state?  Can't imagine those folks complying with such laws.

Can't imagine that happening in Texas either....  supposedly there are about 51 million privately owned firearms here. And that's not counting air rifles.

~TG

Offline armymars

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2014, 01:38:46 PM »
  You don't have to register a rifle, but if you want to buy a new one you must go through a dealer. I gusse this means an air rifle too now.  How sad. For years that ownly applied to air pistols. They changed the law to include air pistols when a person in Detroit stopped a mugger with one.  That must have been 40, 45 years ago.

Offline Scottman

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2014, 11:27:47 AM »
no I"ve bought air rifles private party and have them shipped here. I asked my sport shop about the 1322/1377- because they are less then 30 inches- and they got me some legal ones with serial numbers.

Offline V8vega

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2014, 05:44:14 PM »
In MI if it's .22 cal or larger it's a "firearm". I was checking out airguns on various sites and they won't ship the .22 cal one's to MI.

.... :banghead:......

Paintball guns are excluded from law.
I didn't know MI. was so tough on firearms & air rifles! That's just stupid on so many levels. Hell, I shoot our RWS Magnum 350 (.22) in my front yard with all of the neighbor kids. It's just good fun.

Offline cmxterra

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Bugging out in style.
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2014, 06:42:48 PM »
Wrap your brain around this one. In MN air rifles are considered firearms. Suppressors are illegal. But this is ok.

http://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Gamo_Whisper_Air_Rifle_Combo/1275

Offline Scottman

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2014, 06:10:43 PM »
The whisper is illegal in MI, the shroud can't really be removed easily. I've heard about some people taking Benjamin Marauders into MI, they're doing something to the shrouds to make them "un suppressed".

A 177 with a rifled barrel is a firearm in MI i believe. Using such an airgun in city limits/suburbs would be a discharge.

Offline V8vega

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2014, 10:30:35 AM »
That's crazy.
Do air rifles fall under the 2nd amendment?  :-\

Offline IKN

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2014, 01:53:02 PM »
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed"
Since airguns existed at the time, it would seem logical on the surface. Unfortunately, not many people (or even the Federal Government) consider an airgun as a firearm as well as their protection being covered under the second ammendment.
So far, no-one has taken it to the Supreme Court (or needed to) for a ruling as to tthem falling under the second ammendment that I'm aware of.

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2014, 12:45:45 PM »
I didn't know MI. was so tough on firearms & air rifles! That's just stupid on so many levels. Hell, I shoot our RWS Magnum 350 (.22) in my front yard with all of the neighbor kids. It's just good fun.

Bureaucrats being bureaucrats. We are an open carry state, and then they have dumb crap like this on the books.

I discovered this stupid law when I was looking for a closer to legal option for critter control in the backyard. Of course I would never shoot groundhogs and rabbits in my backyard with CB shorts and a Marlin 60 from my garage, and certainly wouldn't admit it on the internet.  ;)

Offline arikinthecity

• Prepper
« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2015, 02:36:48 PM »
I respectfully disagree.  I've been to several airgun stores in Bergen County and they sell very powerful airguns, many more expensive then real rifles,  without any permits all day long.

ALL airguns are considered firearms in New Jersey with the exception of paintball guns and require a permit for purchase but only in a few places can a kid go outside and shoot a BB/pellet gun without some twitchy neighbor calling for a JTTF reaction team to arrest the "ARMED GUNMAN" shooting cans and squirrels

Offline OhCanada

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2015, 09:58:17 PM »
One more note about Canada, a airgun infraction can also cause loss of your firearm licence; especially if you use the airgun in a crime then it is treated just as a firearm regardless of psi. There was even a move to lower the 500 psi firearm to around 260psi.

Offline bcksknr

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Child of the Cold War
« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2015, 09:55:36 AM »
    Never underestimate the ignorance of lawmakers. There was an actual bill proposed when motorcycle helmet laws were being legislated in my state that would have made seatbelts and their use mandatory on motorcycles.

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2015, 12:22:17 PM »
    Never underestimate the ignorance of lawmakers. There was an actual bill proposed when motorcycle helmet laws were being legislated in my state that would have made seatbelts and their use mandatory on motorcycles.
hahaha. that is good...

nkawtg

« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2015, 12:24:29 PM »
Well the Tennessee movie theater shooter was armed with pellet gun.