Author Topic: iPhone and it's apps as an EDC survival tool  (Read 19224 times)

Offline arrowbreaker

• Survivor
  • MSB & TSP Forum member
Re: iPhone and it's apps as an EDC survival tool
« Reply #120 on: June 04, 2012, 08:18:22 AM »
One of my more favorite apps for my iPad is called "Kwik Converter" which does tons of conversions. I especially like the radiation part which converts those obscure radiation units of measure into something I understand. The same developer has another program which tells you where the planets are located in the sky (kinda cool, very pretty) although not sure if that has any real survival application. Its called "Planet Tracker", both are cheap. Also the developer is pretty nice, sent an email about the program and they responded very politely. Would really like to find a good reloading app, looked at a couple but wasn't too impressed. Any programmers on here might ponder it.

Converter sounds cool, I love the star and planet apps - definitely useful if trying to learn navigating by stars etc if you know what you need to look for. I just find them really fascinating- I share that with my 5 year old daughter, a few weeks ago we were camping and while toasting marshmallows she correctly pointed out Orion's belt: the other adults had to take our word on it as they didn't know. Proud geeky moment

Offline microdevil45

• Survivor
  • Never Give Up...
« Reply #121 on: November 01, 2012, 09:22:10 PM »
So much good stuff.. I'm gonna need a bigger phone.

Offline Cedar

• Autarkist Queen
  • Master Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #122 on: November 12, 2012, 04:43:49 PM »
Cross threaded *S*

Friday after I received my phone I found Aps. Lots of Aps. Z was pretty much laughing at me, but I wanted to see what was out there and put something worth something to put on my phone. These are the ones I have currently put on there (all of them are free aps) and left to trial for awhile:

Glympse – (my score A)
A nice way to share your location with anyone for a specified period of time. My friends showed me this when they were driving from Tennessee to Florida and it was kinda nice to see where they were on the road and how fast they were going. It actually puts them on the map of where they were at the time. I put it on my cell as I can see a lot of good reasons for it but only have it for specific people I am heading to their house.

Emergency Radio Free -  (my score A)
Extensive database of live police, fire, EMS, railroad, air traffic, train, NOAA weather, coast guard, HAM radio, and other frequencies. Tune in to everything from the Los Angeles Police Department (LAPD) to the New York Fire Department (FDNY). It is very much like my Radio Reference that I like to use on my laptop, but I think this one is easier to use.

MKA Alerts  (my score C-D)
The Natural Disaster Alerts Map application is free and displays the locations of and information about recent earthquakes, tropical cyclones, volcanic activity and floods that have occurred around the globe. Select an item on the map to receive general information. I am not too keen on this one, but am trialing it anyway. However it will probably get deleted.

Find iPhone -  (not sure yet on a score as I have not lost my iPhone yet)
Self explanatory

Elerts  (my score C at this time)
If you’re on the scene of an emergency, you can supposedly help 1st Responders by sending a first-hand report – a photo can really help them evaluate what’s happening. ELERTS™ ap owners can relay the warning message to friends and family using their social media networks, helping to get the word out to people who may be in harm’s way.

Disaster Check In (my score C-B)
A program which supposedly lets you tell your friends and family where you are and if you are ok.  I have not used it yet.

SAS Survival Lite (my score A)
SAS Survival Lite is the free version of the complete SAS Survival Guide. It is pretty sweet. I suggest it for newbies and experienced people alike.

MyAltitude (my score C-B)
I think it works???? I have not gone anywhere but the valley currently, so have not gained much in elevation or found mountain summit markers/train depot signs telling the elevation yet. However it says +/- 19 meters it could be out, so see below on Commander Compass Lite which I think I like better.

Coleman Camping Cookbook (my score A)
Just wish there were more recipes. But it is an excellent start and I really and trying a few of them. They also give you different cooking methods as well as ingredients and more.

Radiation Worldwide 2012 (my score C-B)
It is not as user friendly as the one I had on my old computer (which died a tragic death recently 7due to apple juice), but I can see it being useful. I know when Fukashima problem was in the early days I could read charts indicating we had some of the radiation here in Oregon. There is another ap out there, but you have to get another doohickie to go with it, to turn your cell into a meter. I will look more into that one of these days.

e-Food Storage (my score C-A)
I like this. I love being able to scan items in and out. I see high potential for this ap. I may be wrong, but I DO NOT like that all your stuff seems to be stored online and you have to be online in order to use it. Can anyone else see it? OPSEC risk? Anyone else know much about this? If my pantry data is not stored online somewhere, I am cool with this. Score C if it is online and Score A if it is not.

GoToAid lite (my score A)
Nice little 'pocket book' full of first aid, disaster, natural disasters before, during and after for people with little to moderate skills. I also like it in case I am tired or questioning myself as a backup. It also has Morse Code which I think I like better than the other AP mentioned below. It also has all the emergency numbers for LOTS AND LOTS of countries. COUNTRIES, not counties.

Disaster Alert (my score A)
I like this disaster alert program better than the other two listed above. It updates more frequently. Has more information. I will probably delete the other two programs. I have another disaster program on my laptop and this one is not as good as the one on my laptop. But it is good for a free ap.

Flashlight – It works, but not sure I can score a flashlight.

Alltrails (my score B until I can play with it a bit more)
40,000 trails & reviews. Tells elevation gains, distance, driving to the trailhead directions.

Maps with Me (my score A)
Offline maps of all the countries of the world. Was kinda difficult to find OFFLINE maps. So this way if you are out of cell tower range, you can still find your way (should still have a paper map in my opinion however)

Morse Code (my score D-C)
I like the one in the GoToAid lite ap much better

Leaf Snap (my score B)
At first I did not like this ap as it only has trees in it, now I kinda like it.

Wild Edibles Lite (my score A)
It doesn't have as many plants in it as I was hoping, but then again I used to teach wild edible foods classes for 10 years. I like that he has recipes, nutrition, medical, poisonous lookalikes. How to harvest and more. Great free ap.

Sun Seeker Lite (my score A)
It provides a FLAT VIEW SOLAR COMPASS showing the solar path, its hour intervals and elevation, winter and summer solstice paths, rise and set times and other details. I especially like the satelitte map overlay. It will help me out at the new farm.

Wiki How Survival (my score A)
I am not sure if I will ever have to control a spooked camel, but there is a lot of good things in here.

iBird Lite (my score A)
I have enjoyed birdwatching since I was 6 and I toted the Peterson's guide around with me everywhere. This I like for the bird calls and more. It could be applied for prepper stuff too.

Rogers Mushrooms  (my score C-B)
This is a handy little Ider, but I like my books better. I am not sure I trust it for when I am actually foraging and having a question on something, but as a pocket ID for fun, I like it.

NWMflowers (my score C-B)
Good as a ID reference, but Wild Edibles Lite is much better for being a wild edible food guide. I like these kinds of flower guides when I go hiking too however. For just an ID guide, I would give it a A score, but wish it had more flowers in it.

Gas Buddy (my score A)
I like the maps, I like it tells the mileage to the station.

Commander Compass Lite (my score A)
It has the artificial horizon on it, degrees, I think it has the elevation on it and if it does, it is better than the Altimeter mentioned above. I may get rid of the other altimeter ap, although it is prettier and easier to read.

Chem Safety (my score B-A)
After seeing a video that someone posted on one of my newsgroups about a chemical spill and a police officer heading to the victim laying in the middle of the roadway, the fumes from the chemicals overcame him and you literally watched him die from his dashboard cam, I decided this might be a good idea as I will always assist in an accident. I used to have HUGE books in my home from my ex who did Hazmat stuff and this ap makes finding things so much easier. Nice to have with me in case there is a chemical spill on the roadway. If I had to choose between this ap and the one just below, this would be the one to go however.

Placard Plus Free (my score A)
I like this chemical placard program as well. I think it will go well with the other one, so I can justify two of them. This one seems to be a bit more user friendly and more information including first aid rendering. So if I had to choose one between this and the one above, this one would be the keeper.

New Holland Agriculture Weather (my score A)
My new favorite weather ap.

Bayer Weed Spotter (my score B)
Most wild edibles are weeds. This is a nice handy reference to grasses and broadleaf weeds. I like that is shows the plants in many grow stages.

I have two other ways of charging it other than plugging it into a wall or my laptop. I can also solar or handcrank charge it in case of an emergency.

and yes rikkrack I have found a bunch more and will rate them in a bit.

Cedar

Cedar
"Do not breathe simply to exist."

Offline Cedar

• Autarkist Queen
  • Master Ant
« Reply #123 on: November 12, 2012, 08:49:47 PM »
Found some more I like and I am putting them here as I had a couple people messaging me saying thanks for the other list as they had not seen those aps before. So I am trying again for ones I found when I was in a wait mode today and it is still a new toy, although the novelty is starting to wear off now. These are all free aps I found as the ones before.

River Level (my Score B)
I thought this was a good idea since Z's farm is near a river and many rivers which we need to cross to get there which can and do typically flood. River Level fetches and graphs daily statistics about selected rivers. Statistics currently include river depth and (for some locations) water temperature. It does not look like it is an instantanous reading which is why I dropped it to a B score. I like that it has graphs as well as text.

Marine Weather by BlueFin Engineering (my Score A)
Providing access to marine forecasts, live buoy data, tides, currents, radar, & sea surface temperatures. This program is very easy to use and gives me the data I am looking for when I wonder if it is a good day to go down to crab, clam or let SweetPea play on the sand.

My Radar (my Score B)
A quick little doplar for your phone.

Tsunami Evac (my Score B+)
Interactive maps of tsunami evacuation zones in both Oregon and Washington State. Has individual town tsunami information on it too. Also has alerts if there is any current.

Red Cross Hurricane  (my Score A)
Be ready for severe weather with Hurricane by American Red Cross. Monitor conditions in your area or throughout the storm track, prepare your family and home, find help and let others know you are safe.

Red Cross Earthquake (my Score A)
Available in English or Spanish—is the third in a series created by the American Red Cross. Gives users instant access to local and real-time information, so they know what to do before, during and after earthquakes. Shows where earthquakes are real time. The new, simplified ‘Shake Zone Impact Maps’ provide users with personalized local impact information on the status of their community in order to help them make crucial decisions.

Red Cross First Aid (my Score A)
Gives you instant access to the information you need to know to handle the most common first aid emergencies. With videos, interactive quizzes and simple step-by-step advice it’s never been easier to know first aid.

Red Cross Wildfires (my Score A)
The “Blaze Tracker” trio of features-which can be customized for alerts specific to locations where they live, travel or have loved ones, “Blaze Warnings” which let users see areas where NOAA has issued warnings that conditions are favorable for potential wildfires, “Blaze Alerts” inform users when a wildfire has begun within 100 miles of any locations monitored; “Blaze Path” from Inciweb.org which provides users with a current view of an existing wildfire’s perimeter, how it has spread and the fire’s current location when available; Comprehensive reporting of all wildfire activity for every geographic area in the United States.

Earthquake! (my Score B-A)
This one doesn't have all the bells and whistles of the Red Cross Earthquake ap, but I still like it. I will see which one does better real time.

Iseismometer (my Score B+)
Turn it on, then tap somewhere. It will even register my breathing. There is an alarm you can set on it for senstivity. You can also send in reports of activity.

TidalDataFree (my Score B)
Has all the US tide charts, ocean, bays and river. Also graphs.

What Knot to Do (in the Greater Outdoors) (my Score A+)
Too cool not to have. 70 different knots, step-by-step and save any knot to your Favorites list

What's on My Food (my Score A+)
Yeah.. this is why I try to grow all of my own... What are the dangers of these pesticides? How much of this stuff is really on the food we eat? This is a great reference for me for what I do.

Dutch Oven Helper (my Score A)
The Dutch Oven Helper is a fast, simple,  user-friendly tool for calculating the number of briquettes needed for a dutch oven meal.

Riverford Organic Farms Vegetable Machine (my Score A)
Crazy little ap. If you have weird things coming to harvest all at the same time like turnips, onions and jerusalem artichokes and nothing else  to make something out of dinner with, this IS YOUR AP! It WILL come up with a recipe.

FireWood Buddy (my Score A)
This is a practical and fun ap. It is meant for firewood related stuff (I will get to that in a sec), but it also has pests in firewood and camping checklists. But it also tells where to locate local (to you) firewood for camping (vendors, but if you want to order some firewood for your home, I bet you could). The Firewood Master section is what I liked too.. There is a section on what type of wood produces how much BTU, how much sparks it tosses out, how smokey it is, how easy to split and how easy to burn. If that was not enough, they also have campfire recipes, how to build a campfire, campfire tales, and campfire songs,

Parks Canada (my score A)
Camping basics, camping checklist, recipes and cooking, places to camp. Goes through types of stoves,  tents etc. Meal planning, setting up your campsite, camping with children, even how to care for and store your gear after you get back. Good recipes.

Oregon Fish Counts (my score B)
Nice to see if the fish are running and numbers for numberous locations in Oregon. I think the check thingy is difficult to get the check into.

Wiser Wireless Information System for Emergency Responders (my score A+)
Standalone. Deals with things like Anthrax to Bioterrorism agents, toxins, viruses, WMD, meth labs, helps ID 438 different chemicals. Properties, odor, taste, pH. NFPA decipher and way more.

GPS Hiker (my score A)
Camera mode, standard/sat/hybrid map, has map tracking mode, does your current hike, altitude gain, time, average speed, nice close in sat photos.

Topos2Go (my score A)
Offline downloads for when you are out of wireless range. You can download freely available maps and store them on your device for use without WiFi or cell access. Easy to search for maps IF you know the name of the area you are looking for.

Plot Hound (Timber Cruising) (my score B-A)
BSW timber conversion Calculator. Plot Hound is a simple timber cruise application. You can record diameter, height, species, and grade. Soon I will be mostly in charge of a 40 acre woodlot, thought I could use the help.

Bee Smart (my score A)
Browse through a database of nearly 1,000 native plants. Filter your plants by what pollinators you want to attract, light and soil requirements, bloom color, and plant type. This is an excellent plant reference to attract bees, butterflies, hummingbirds, beetles, bats, and other pollinators to the garden, farm, school and every landscape. Doubles as a wild plant ID book.

Tick Doctor (my score B-A)
My favorite part is on tick removal (blagh), but it is interesting to see the different kinds of ticks too. Prevention, shows all lifestages. I am dedicating this one to Bob.

Cedar

Offline Cedar

• Autarkist Queen
  • Master Ant
« Reply #124 on: November 13, 2012, 09:02:33 PM »
Rated a few more ...

Floodwatch (my Score A)
Flood stages, graph to see how much it is rising or lowering, clickable maps to save certain rivers/creeks into favorites, details and more. I live in river and creek county which tend to flood and the new farm is along a river, so very useful for me. Replaced the RiverLevel ap for me

Quake Feed (my Score A)
This is like the website I like online and have looked at for years. It is RIGHT up to date within seconds. You can dial it in for different magnitudes. But I kept Earthquake! as it has EMSC, BGS, USGS. I also kept the Red Cross Earthquake ap. They all have slightly different things which are worthwhile on them.

UbAlert (my Score B+ to A)
Make sure to pull down on the tab to refresh it. You can dial it in for the severity type, not sure how fast it actually keeps up on to date.

Cedar

Offline jwrbike

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #125 on: February 17, 2013, 09:38:11 AM »
Flashlight app.  It works well for short times, probably uses the battery quickly.

Offline Greg1109

• Prepper
  • Let's get Bendy!
« Reply #126 on: March 24, 2013, 08:55:50 AM »
Not necessarily for prepping, but pretty cool looking if you ask me!  A 'slow shutter' app for your iDivices with cameras. 

Free for a limited time only!!!

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/slow-shutter!/id616728746?mt=8
Yes, yes, I know.  "Stop by the intro thread and introduce yourself.".  I'm working on that post in my head and as soon as I figure out what I want to say, i'll do it.   (I want to make a good impression)

*wonders what the inflatable goat thing is all about*

Offline theangler

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #127 on: April 07, 2013, 11:07:50 AM »
Not sure if they've been mentioned yet, but Light works great (that's what I use for edc light) and you can adjust the brightness to conserve battery life.  Another app I use a ton is Trimble Outdoors Navigator Pro.  This is what I primarily use for navigation.  A map / compass is backup for me these days (although if venturing into the woods, you should have a backup).

Offline RitaRose1945

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Asking the uncomfortable questions since 1964
« Reply #128 on: April 07, 2013, 01:59:29 PM »
Yep, I've got an LED Light app on mine, and I use it almost every day for work.  Very bright, and it doesn't seem to be too much a drain on the battery.

Which reminds me - I've met a lot of people with iPhones that complain their battery life isn't what it used to be, and they can barely make it through the day without a charge.  From the home screen, if you double click on the button on the front of the bottom, the screenshot should raise and show a line of apps.  That's what's currently running in the background and killing your battery.  Put your finger on one app in the row and hold it.  The apps should start wiggling and have a minus sign (-) in the upper left corner of each.  Click on the minus sign to close out each program (it won't delete them unless you're actually on the main screen) and your battery will last a lot longer per charge.

Though maybe not a survival tool per se, I just got an app from CoinFlation which lists current melt values of various coins.  Pretty cool so far.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/coinflation/id535653219?mt=8

Offline Cedar

• Autarkist Queen
  • Master Ant
« Reply #129 on: April 16, 2013, 06:42:27 PM »
Glad I put my list of some of my favs on here. I updated my phone, it bagged on me and I had to have the repair guy wipe it so it would run again.  >:(

Cedar

Offline Roswell

• Search And Destroy
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Posts REALLY REALLY ugly pictures...
    • Making A Homestead, One Day at a Time
« Reply #130 on: April 18, 2013, 04:14:36 PM »
You should be able to backup the phone in iTunes to your computer or to the iCloud.  Check and see. You may have backed it up and not realized it.

BTW, awesome tip Rita. I do it all the time and it really does help the battery life A LOT.
"Be Prepared" - The Boy Scout motto
Please Come By My Website - MakingAHomestead.com