Author Topic: Basic Items One Needs To Start Knitting  (Read 3085 times)

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
  • Wanna have an adventure?
    • WilderWolf
Basic Items One Needs To Start Knitting
« on: July 28, 2009, 06:36:46 PM »
At the suggestion of darkwinter, here is a thread (a list, really) of basic items one needs to start knitting:

• Yarn - about 200 yards each of a couple of different types of yarn is best.  Get 200 yards of cotton, 200 yards of alpaca or wool, and 200 yards of a soft acrylic to start you off.  If you want to go crazy and buy a bazillion yards of a bazillion different kinds of yarn, that's also fine.  But try to get mostly worsted weight (they'll have a #4 on them somewhere, or will say "worsted" or "medium" on them), as that will be what you want if you plan to knit clothing, or stuffed animals.
  • Needles - I purchase these as I go, according to what the pattern calls for.  A pack of size 5 double pointed bamboo needles is a good start, as well as, say, size 7 or 8 straight bamboo needles.
  • Stitch markers - you can make these with pieces of waste yarn, but I like the little rings that you can buy in the store.  They come in a pack and are, of course, reusable.
  • Scissors - make sure you have a pair of little scissors (or sometimes I use nail clippers, if I've buried my scissors somewhere and can't find them) for cutting yarn.
  • Fabric measuring tape - the soft ones that roll up.  I use these all the time, and you will too.

That's really all I started with.  The rest is all a learning experience, and a constant, "I gotta go to Joann Fabrics.  Be back in a while!"

:)

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
    • WilderWolf
Re: Basic Items One Needs To Start Knitting
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2009, 06:39:59 PM »
OH - I forgot!  One more thing - children's yarn needles.  They're little blue plastic needles with big fat eyes.  Perfect for weaving in ends, or hemming, and so on after you're finished with your piece.

Offline Darkwinter

• Junior Evil Overlord
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Has his wife's permission
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2009, 06:44:57 PM »
What pattern woudl you suggest to start with, like a scarf or something?

What is easier to start at Crocheting or Knitting?  Or are they two seperate things like carpentry and welding?

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2009, 08:11:13 PM »
What pattern woudl you suggest to start with, like a scarf or something?

What is easier to start at Crocheting or Knitting?  Or are they two seperate things like carpentry and welding?

I would suggest starting with a dishcloth, or a scarf.  I can help on either of those.

Crocheting and knitting are indeed two separate things.  Neither is easier than the other.  I prefer knitting to crocheting, but knowing HOW to crochet is a wonderful asset.

Knitting is a lot more versatile.  You can knit so many different stitches, it's amazing.  And since there seem to be more knitters than crocheters nowadays, you have more patterns for knitting than you do crocheting.

Crocheting goes faster than knitting does, typically, and you're more likely to be able to teach yourself crocheting without help than you are knitting without help.

What I don't like about crocheting:  The projects are typically bulkier than knit pieces, and they tend to have more holes (see my crocheted flower throw, versus my knit mittens).  Projects look less professional than do knit projects.

What I don't like about knitting:  It takes longer than crocheting, and it's more difficult to pick up stitches you may have missed, or dropped by accident.  Also, many knitters are snobs, and I want to punch them in the nose for it.

Both run the risk of getting boring if all you're doing is one stitch over and over for a large piece (which is why I've been putting off starting my mom's jacket.  Stockinette stitch allllll the way up.  GAH. Wake me up when I'm finished).  Neither is a profitable hobby.  At $5.00 an hour for my time plus the cost of yarn, those mitts would sell for $55.00 plus tax and shipping.  Nobody in their right mind would pay that for a pair of fingerless mitts.  So just know that this is purely a hobby, and a way to cut costs on your OWN stuff (because, for me, it cost $3.00 to make those mitts).

Offline Darkwinter

• Junior Evil Overlord
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2009, 08:35:52 PM »
Thank you for the info sister

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2009, 12:51:40 PM »
I agree about the beginning project idea... scarves are a great way to get started. They are simple, quick, and something you will actually use afterward even if your first effort is very modest.

Offline Darkwinter

• Junior Evil Overlord
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2009, 11:08:32 AM »
I have been practicing since my last post, and I gave up on kniting.  Not permenantly, but for now.  I don't care how great an artist you are, those "Easy to Read" illustrations are crap.  I have been crocheting. Nothing fancy, just a square, but it goes by quick and it is pretty easy.  My loops are just now starting to become uniform.  My first few attempts had loops of all sorts of sizes.  I am having trouble keeping the ends looking square, but I am practicing.  I will post pics soon so you can all have a good chuckle!! :)

Offline flashcard

• Prepper
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2009, 11:24:03 AM »
I have been practicing since my last post, and I gave up on kniting.  Not permenantly, but for now.  I don't care how great an artist you are, those "Easy to Read" illustrations are crap.  I have been crocheting. Nothing fancy, just a square, but it goes by quick and it is pretty easy.  My loops are just now starting to become uniform.  My first few attempts had loops of all sorts of sizes.  I am having trouble keeping the ends looking square, but I am practicing.  I will post pics soon so you can all have a good chuckle!! :)

At least you're sticking it out with fibre-craft, dw! :) Can't wait to see some crochet pics.

Offline flashcard

• Prepper
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2009, 11:25:45 AM »
erp...I guess there is an actual "dw" on here too. 

Offline EmmaPeel

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2009, 01:51:39 PM »
http://www.amazon.com/Kids-Knitting-Projects-all-Ages/dp/1885183763

Kids Knitting is a really great book to start with.  The instructions are clear.  I started with this book and so did my children.  My biggest problem is I won't follow a pattern.  I get sidetracked by how I think I can make it look better.  Sometimes I do, mostly I wind up frogging a lot of it.  I am planning a sweater now.  I need to get started so it will be done by the end of the month.  It feels like it's going to get cold here early.