Photobucket

Author Topic: What might be some preps we've overlooked?  (Read 25280 times)

Fred_47460

What might be some preps we've overlooked?
« on: July 25, 2009, 08:12:37 AM »
I got the idea for this topic from Podcast #242.....I think was the number. There may be some preps you've thought of that we haven't. Here is the place to share those ideas. If you have a [Damn, I'm glad I thought of that] idea....please pass it on!!

I'll get it started with....I bought some hand tools that require no electricity in case there IS no electricity. A hand powered drill (looks like an old egg beater), hand saws....etc. Stuff you can buy VERY cheaply at yard/garage sales.....at least you can buy them cheaply NOW anyway....if the SHTF you'll pay dearly for them if you can find them at all!

cert_member

Re: What might be some preps we've overlooked?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2009, 09:28:38 AM »
A crank-flashlight

Example: 
http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/yhst-99239380869547_2063_113565766

I find most crank flashlights don't burn as bright as the better battery-powered ones. But they are independent of any kind of power.

Here is something that might be of intrest to some.

Fx: Portable, Hip-Pocket, Hand-Crank Power Generator

Looks appealing to me.

Offline Darkwinter

• Junior Evil Overlord
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Has his wife's permission
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2009, 09:59:44 AM »
A clothesline and clothes pins:  No power no dryer.  If you don't already hang your clothes out to dry, you might want to think about a clothesline.

books, novels, board games, deck of cards, and other non electric entertainment:  without power, we need to keep family members entertained to alliveiate stress

Extra candel wicks:  As candles burn down, you can remelt the left over candle and make new ones.

Nails, screws, lumber, and plywood:  Need to build a solar shower?  Outhouse?  Board up a broken window?  Need to have some extra building supplies on hand.

Picture wire:  great for binding things and setting snares.

Sewing machine, needles, thread:  mend or make clothing and blankets

Magic seem:  i carry a bottle of liquid fabric glue to mend clothing or tents, works great in an emergency.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2009, 10:04:59 AM by darkwinter »
The Goatpocolypse is near

Offline Dene B.

• Survivor
    • Country Consultant
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2009, 03:54:18 PM »
We've been looking at alternative cooking methods - solar cooker, cast iron pans for cooking over open fire, dutch oven
Dene

Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift.

Winchester32

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2009, 09:49:16 PM »
Baking Soda.

I list this because it has so many practical uses in one box.  It covers lots of bases without taking up lots of room.

1) Levening agent for cooking.
2) Multipurpose agent for cleaning around the house. And it's non toxic.
3) A good additive in the laundry for freshening.
4) Brushing teeth.  Probably the best whitening agent on the market.
5) Antacid.  Yes, I have tried it and it really does work well on a sour stomach.
6) Medical aid.  As a kid, my mom mixed up a heavy past using water and applied it to bee strings.  Worked great. 

Copyright 1972

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2009, 12:25:18 AM »
Here's one that I haven't heard anyone mention:

Condoms. 

Ever hear about the times where there's a big jump in newborns 9 months after some weather type event?  Yep, it happens.  Like the motto says "Allways be prepaired".

You can use them for other stuff too, I've seen "survival shows" on TV where they have been used to carry water, and keep stuff dry.  I supose you could even use them to keep a bandage on your finger....

Offline Mr. Bill

• Like a hot cocoa mojito
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • Trained Attack Sheepdog/Troll hunter
    • Website maintenance services by Mr. Bill
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2009, 08:35:24 AM »
I woke up this morning thinking about pencils.  (We can skip the psychoanalysis...)  The few pencils in the house are all about 30 years old -- we just never use them.  I imagine that could change if TSHTF.

So anyway:

Pencils.
Pens.
If you're prepping for TEOTWAWKI, fountain pens (or pen nibs and a holder), bottles of ink (or a recipe for making your own).
On the higher-tech side: a reliable computer printer with lots of refills.
Paper.

Offline flashcard

• Prepper
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2009, 10:32:00 AM »
Here's one that I haven't heard anyone mention:

Condoms. 

Ever hear about the times where there's a big jump in newborns 9 months after some weather type event?  Yep, it happens.  Like the motto says "Allways be prepaired".

You can use them for other stuff too, I've seen "survival shows" on TV where they have been used to carry water, and keep stuff dry.  I supose you could even use them to keep a bandage on your finger....

When I used to work in theatre, we'd use them to cover the smoke detectors if we were doing smoke/fog effects on stage.

They're one of those stocks that're really important to rotate, though!

Notsonutso

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2009, 10:41:15 AM »

my favorite..............................

Duck Tape, it's only limit is imagination!

Offline Beetle

• Proud Grandpa
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2009, 11:12:22 AM »
  How about Cheese cloth to help process game with and I guess for straining things
  String
  Couple good pairs of scissors
  Sturdy wheel barrow
  Second on the nails

Offline archer

• every day is sosdd..
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2009, 02:35:50 PM »
it's the little things that matter:
-metal measuring cups/spoons
-shoe/boot laces
-spare belt
-screws/screw driver set for glasses/sunglasses
-finger/toe nail clippers
-clean handkerchiefs

EDIT: added s to handkerchief

From a friend: Benjamin Franklin once said that beer is proof that God loves us.
I'm of the opinion that Redheads are proof that, contrary to popular belief, Satan also loves us.
My small blog: http://journeytogreenerpastures.blogspot.com/

Offline Darkwinter

• Junior Evil Overlord
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Has his wife's permission
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2009, 06:14:09 PM »
i have young kids, so one thing I over look is a toy, or a book.  I thought about that a lot when I read the "Road".  Just keeping up ones spirit is important too.  I guess for us adults, maybe a book would be nice as well.  Something to take your mind off things and unwind.
The Goatpocolypse is near

Larry G

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2009, 09:51:06 AM »
I got the idea for this topic from Podcast #242.....I think was the number. There may be some preps you've thought of that we haven't. Here is the place to share those ideas. If you have a [Damn, I'm glad I thought of that] idea....please pass it on!!

I'll get it started with....I bought some hand tools that require no electricity in case there IS no electricity. A hand powered drill (looks like an old egg beater), hand saws....etc. Stuff you can buy VERY cheaply at yard/garage sales.....at least you can buy them cheaply NOW anyway....if the SHTF you'll pay dearly for them if you can find them at all!

There is a pretty good list of supplies on my website http://www.drum-runners.com if interested

MightyRunt

« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2009, 11:47:24 AM »
Trash bags, all sizes

Offline TNDadx4

• Survivor
  • Country roads, take me home To the place I belong.
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2009, 12:47:18 PM »
There is a pretty good list of supplies on my website http://www.drum-runners.com if interested

Nice resource site, LarryG! If I could assign Karma, you'd get a +1 from me :)

Larry G

Offline robt871

• Survivor
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2009, 08:33:01 AM »
LarryG +1

SouthernLiving

« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2009, 10:21:28 AM »
Here are a few ideas...

Rope, blocks, and tackle
Come-a-long
12V electric wench

Offline union hill

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2009, 07:29:18 PM »
Here are a few ideas...

12V electric wench

Whoah, too much information!  ;D

babeinthewoods

« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2009, 08:22:12 PM »
Chocolate. Total comfort food - and talk about a barter item!! Seriously though. If there is no chocolate in the house my wife almost has a nervous breakdown - it is a necessity for us to have around, especially...umm at certain times.

Several of the different MRE meals include chocolate (it was a mars bar back in the day) and it stores OK - it just gets a little dry and flakey but it is still good and if you melt it is is perfect.

Offline Flannel

• Prepper
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2009, 09:38:13 PM »
I keep a small assortment of heavy duty plastic tarps at the house and an assortment of roofing nails, sheet rock screws and washers to help fasten the tarps for an emergency repair for the roof or to temporarily cover a broken window.

Offline docred

• Prepper
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2009, 10:23:38 PM »
I have heard people mention on the forum and Jack on the show about people making their own salt.

If you are planning to make your own salt, you need to have some plan for iodine supplementation. Most salt sold in the US is supplemented with iodine. Without adequate intake of iodine, you will develop thyroid disease.

Offline Beetle

• Proud Grandpa
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2009, 10:43:08 PM »
   Yeast
    Baking soda and powder
    tooth paste
    razors

Offline TimSuggs

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2009, 11:19:54 PM »
Easy to obtain (now) OTC medical hardware and devices like BP cuff, Glucometer (blood sugar), stethoscope, etc.  Not sure if a fingertip pulse oximeter (measures blood O2 levels) is Rx or not, but they are great.  Portable oxygen tanks, regulators, tubing sets and masks or cannula's.  Thermometers.  And my wife ("the" Nurse) just informed me that O2 is considered a drug and so is a regulated item.  But if you already have someone who has the need for portable O2 (and the Rx's), get extra filled tanks and spare gear.

Tim.

Tim Suggs
Birmingham, AL. USA!
Murder Capital of the South

Offline Beetle

• Proud Grandpa
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2009, 11:25:41 PM »
Easy to obtain (now) OTC medical hardware and devices like BP cuff, Glucometer (blood sugar), stethoscope, etc.  Not sure if a fingertip pulse oximeter (measures blood O2 levels) is Rx or not, but they are great.  Portable oxygen tanks, regulators, tubing sets and masks or cannula's.  Thermometers.  And my wife ("the" Nurse) just informed me that O2 is considered a drug and so is a regulated item.  But if you already have someone who has the need for portable O2 (and the Rx's), get extra filled tanks and spare gear.

Tim.

Add Crutches, cane and wheel chair.

Offline fred.greek

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2009, 08:33:46 PM »
Additional "space" and starting supplies, emergency clothes, etc., for those family / friends who show up, and you can't turn them away....

Seeds, and cuttings from plants, if you're not running an all out garden now, at least kept stored, or alive and healthy in a small container...  Yes they're "clones", but a bunch of cuttings kept small can grow to full garden size faster than sprouting seeds...  Research calorie crops for your area, and FIND a way to grow vitamin and herbal medicine crops.

Solar path lights...  not much light, but we've found one each side of the mirror in the bathroom can be enough to conduct semi-normal "operations"....  Remember to put them back outside...

A means, such as you select, to "recycle" urine and humanure to your plants... if you're squeamish, use it as fertilizer on non-crops, then compost those for your crops… 

For overall thoughts, try:

http://sca21.wikia.com/wiki/Sustainable_Civilization

Retired, but still working in the garden...

Himarker

« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2009, 11:52:23 PM »
I will add an LED headlamp.  I was reading on another blog how much more productive you can be in the dark with a headlamp leaving both your hands free.  For example doing the dishes.

To add to the medical supplies,  I have a few of those old leg braces around from when I injured my knee.  The kind that the hospital gives you that doesn't allow  your knee to bend at all.  They are great for me when I re-injure my knee to help with the recovery.

Offline mash

• Dedicated Contributor
  • it's spork-tastic!
« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2009, 02:25:51 AM »
A nit comb, especially if you have kids.

the kind that have little metal posts work the best. like this-

the plastic ones miss a lot, and the ones that are one solid piece of metal pull out half the hair along with the bugs.
Mash

Father, Farmer, Engineer, Doomer, Drummer.

When in doubt tell the truth.   - Mark Twain

"The fringe group is believed to be part of a cult that worships ants."

Offline Adam

• Prepper
« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2009, 05:02:13 AM »
I concur with those who mentioned medical / first aid items. I think you need a GOOD first aid kit, not one of those small pre-made kits from Walmart or similar. Don't just buy a kit and assume it has what you need.  Get one that has more than you need or better yet build your own.
Even more important than the items are the skills and knowledge to know what to do. At a minimum get trained in CPR and basic first aid.   In a SHTF scenario you can live weeks with no or little food, at least a day or two without water, but some injuries could kill you in minutes if not cared for properly. I know many of us are prepared to do without police, but can you say thw same about paramedics/emt/fire dept?

Offline mamabear

• I <3 DEV
  • Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2009, 09:43:57 AM »
Something that I don't see mentioned is herbal remedies. I personally use echinacea/goldenseal complex, zinc, vitamin c, st johns wort, etc. Especially the herbs used for inflammation and anitbacterial (or is bacteriostatic or whatever the word is?) uses will be a necessity for those of us that can't get our hands on medicines.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2009, 10:46:53 AM by mamabear »

TSP Inflatable Goat Brigade