Author Topic: Tree Hugger does "Infographic" on how much land needed to feed a family of 4  (Read 4165 times)

Offline Oil Lady

• Lady oil lady oil la-dy hoo
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • My book needs more humor. My pen needs more salt.
I don't know if this is the right place to post this. But I totally dig these kinds of chart/graph things which sum up all kinds of factual statistical data via a single pictoral representation.

Meanwhile, I'm not sure, but I think maybe the part in this graphic about keeping pigs and chickens and other livestock might be a bit off because the graph fails to make allowances for how much additional land you need to grow the food to feed those creatures. I think it assumes you will buy that feed from someone else. But perhaps those of you here who are currently raising your own livestock can better comment on the accuracy there 

http://www.treehugger.com/files/2011/08/infographic-how-much-backyard-needed-grow-food-family-of-four.php

Here's a jpg of just the Infographic itself. IT'S A REALLY HUGE JPG!! So click at your own risk.  The title of this jpeg is "How Big a Backyard Do You Need to Live Off of the Land?" And it focuses on just the needs of a family of four.

Infographic: How Much Backyard Is Needed To Feed A Family of Four?

by Kimberley Mok, Montreal, Canada -- 08.17.2011

With food prices at an all-time high (and stirring up social unrest worldwide), you might be considering growing your own food, but wondering how much land is actually needed to provide you and your family food for a year. Though the precise figure of acreage to feed a family of four can vary from one source to another, from One Block Off The Grid (1BOG) comes this helpful infographic showing approximately how much backyard would be needed to provide the alimentary basics for a year....

This Tree Hugger article got the graphic from a web site called "One Block Off the Grid" which is very gung-ho on sustainable living, especially solar energy. It seems 1BOG is famous for these Infographics. Infographics are a regular feature on their web site.

Here's their original article from January of 2011 from 1BOG.

http://1bog.org/blog/live-off-the-land-2/

« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 10:35:02 AM by Oil Lady »

endurance

I agree with his numbers if you're a vegitarian/vegan, but for meat eaters, he's not addressing where those animals are getting their food.  His diary numbers aren't even in the ballpark if you look at how much land they'd need to graze on to be sustainable and not overgraze the land.

Still, with small livestock like chickens and rabbits, as much as you can use garden waste for food, inputs like duckweed and amaranth, and other creative solutions, he's off, but not by a massive amount.

Interesting stuff, though.  thanks for posting.

Offline chris

• Survival Demonstrator
His diary numbers aren't even in the ballpark if you look at how much land they'd need to graze on to be sustainable and not overgraze the land.

Overgrazing is an interesting topic. With highly managed, intensive grazing, you can graze far more lbs per acre than most people believe. It also depends highly on the breed.

Offline PADFH

• Prepper
  • Newbie Prepper
Overgrazing is an interesting topic. With highly managed, intensive grazing, you can graze far more lbs per acre than most people believe. It also depends highly on the breed.

Have any good links for the small farm / homesteader?  Those that might have a few grazing animals and might be able to effectively manage the land?

Offline chris

• Survival Demonstrator
Have any good links for the small farm / homesteader?  Those that might have a few grazing animals and might be able to effectively manage the land?

http://www.holisticmanagement.org/

Search for Management Intensive Grazing on google. Read the Stockman's Grass Farmer.

Offline PADFH

• Prepper
  • Newbie Prepper
Great  suggestions. Thanks.

endurance

http://www.holisticmanagement.org/

Search for Management Intensive Grazing on google. Read the Stockman's Grass Farmer.
Or you could do what my neighbors do and just turn two horses loose on two acres until there's not a single blade of edible grass on the property and the only thing left growing is stuff that's so toxic that there's not an animal on earth that would touch the stuff... ::)

Offline ThePlainsman

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
I raise cattle and can graze a steer on 3 acres where it would take 8 normally. I use the high intensity grazing techniques. The funny thing is that the grass keeps getting thicker and better every year and the weeds are being kept in check without pesticides. Your mileage will vary depending on your weather and soils but you can always run more with proper management.

One thing people need to consider is that if you want to keep your land naturally in grass to provide wildlife habitat, you can still produce food with livestock. You can't eat the forage yourself. They will even eat the wetland plants if needed, which doesn't hurt the wetlands at all. My cattle will avoid the water fowl nests and graze around them. In a pinch, I will have all the ducks and geese I can eat.

Offline chris

• Survival Demonstrator
The funny thing is that the grass keeps getting thicker and better every year and the weeds are being kept in check without pesticides.

Decades of eggheads and govt stooges never figured that out. Save the World, raise cattle.