Author Topic: alcohol as a barter item  (Read 11194 times)

Offline briarjumper

• Prepper
alcohol as a barter item
« on: July 27, 2009, 08:23:52 AM »
I guess this is the place for this,  I have yet to see anyone discuss what I think is/could be the second most valuable barter item after ammo.  LIQUOR.  I have known people who would sell anything, and I mean ANYTHING cause they needed drinking money (I have got some crazy deals this way, bought a 1911 govt for $100, took it to a gunshow and sold it for $750).  If times get tough two cases of rotgut whiskey would, I think be worth its weight in gold, or at least silver.

What are others thoughts on this?

and please no bleeding heart crap about feeding addictions and such, cause i really dont care, and anyway it beats drinking methyl alcohol or some of the other crazy stuff I have seen alchies do

Offline khristopher23

• Survivalist Mentor
Re: alcohol as a barter item
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2009, 08:30:07 AM »
Dude, if I got it, I'm drinking it ;D

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2009, 08:45:35 AM »
Yep, I think it would be a great barter item.  There will always be people that just have to have a drink.

Offline liftsboxes

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Quit Whining
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2009, 08:56:42 AM »
Just look at colonial America or life in the USSR, booze has always been an alternative currency.

Offline Peck

• Prepper
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2009, 09:20:38 AM »
I am told that the local bank here in Wisconsin used to accept liquor as collateral on loans.  This would have been during the Depression, right after Prohibition ended.

Offline Heavy G

• Distorting the Space-Time Continuum
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • A misfit ant in a grasshopper world.
    • 299 Days
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2009, 09:33:31 AM »
Alcohol will be very valuable and will be traded regularly.

As far as getting a supply, Hank Jr. says in his song Country Boy Can Survive, "We make our whiskey and our own smoke too.  Ain't too many things these old boys can't do."

A Country Boy Can Survive

homeshow

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2009, 11:16:39 AM »
i'm a hobby vintner.  that's a wine maker.  i make wine, cider, and beer(one day) and keep a plentiful supply of PGA to enhance my wines and ciders.  so i'll probably open a bar.  i tell all the people at work that if they bring me 4 gallons of fresh fruit i'll bring them a gallon of wine in about 60 days.  my blueberrry wine has a lot of fans.

Offline nafterize

• Survivalist Mentor
    • Nate's Photo & Video Portfolio
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2009, 12:54:51 PM »
I think any vice will make for good barter items: alcohol, smokes, etc. You're right that people will get desperate. That said, you probably wouldn't want to be known as the guy with all the goodies in his basement... they might start shopping with a 5-finger discount.

Offline ozarked

• Prepper
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2009, 09:31:39 PM »
Right after TSHTF, people will be concerned with essentials:  food, water, shelter.  Once the dust settles, and some sort of economic activity resumes, some people will start seeking luxuries.  I think store bought liquor will highly prized and sought after.  Yes, moonshiners will spring up, but thier product , no mater how well crafted, will be a distant second to whiskey readily availabe today (I speak from experience).  Pints of whiskey are part of my (barter) preps, as well as sugar, chocolate and (while an essential and not a luxury) salt.

Offline Sarcasmo

• Prepper
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2009, 10:35:59 PM »
I was thinking along those lines also.  Every time my wife and I would go to Wal-mart or Trader Joes (or where ever), I'd pick up a bottle or two of the bargin wine of the week.  She'd ask me what I was going to do with all this wine.  I simply replied, "It's nice to have around when there's visitors."   :P

Winchester32

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2009, 11:56:15 PM »
Actually, if you search around on a few of the barter/trade threads, there is mention of alcohol.  And you are very correct.......it makes a great for bartering & trading.  People are going to need something to help with all the stress with SHTF!   :o

Offline ColdHaven

• Coldylocks
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • How about a scary crow little fire?
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2009, 03:19:18 PM »
Even through economic hard times entertainment and such usually don't feel as hard of a punch. I might consider storing some beverages like this once I have other preps in order first.

Offline Klapton

• BANNED
  • Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2009, 03:33:34 PM »
Smokes might be even better.  They are lighter, they can be divided 1 carton = 10 packs = 200 looseys.  That way you can "make change."  And I guarantee there are a LOT more true addicts out there for nicotine than there are for alcohol.  You have to be careful to keep them dry and not crush them though.  But then, liquor bottles can break too.

Bullets, imo, will be a very commonly used currency post-SHTF.  They are far more durable than either smokes or liquor bottles.  They are small and light.  You can shove loose bullets in your pocket (try that with smokes or liquor).  You can "make change" with them.  There will be different calibers that will carry different exchange values.  And pretty much EVERYONE will need them, unlike booze or cigarettes.

I doubt I will ever trade something I find useful for either booze or cigarettes.  I'd sooner have a bottle of bleach than a bottle of booze.  I have a real use for that.  I'd take a roll of TP over a pack of smokes, because I could go the rest of my life without smoking, but I WILL be taking a dump in the very near future.

Offline Darkwinter

• Junior Evil Overlord
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Has his wife's permission
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2009, 04:40:42 PM »
Smokes might be even better.  They are lighter, they can be divided 1 carton = 10 packs = 200 looseys.  That way you can "make change."  And I guarantee there are a LOT more true addicts out there for nicotine than there are for alcohol.  You have to be careful to keep them dry and not crush them though.  But then, liquor bottles can break too.

If there was a SHTF home mead would provide CLEAN water to drink, when disease and contaminates are found in most drinking water sources.  It is caloric dense and has nutrients.  Cigarettes will be a hot commodity at first, as people jones for them, but in the long run, a good home brew will be a great asset.

Offline Klapton

• BANNED
  • Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2009, 05:17:36 PM »
If there was a SHTF home mead would provide CLEAN water to drink, when disease and contaminates are found in most drinking water sources.  It is caloric dense and has nutrients.  Cigarettes will be a hot commodity at first, as people jones for them, but in the long run, a good home brew will be a great asset.

Oh, I don't doubt that liquor and other beverages will be good barter items.  Just not so good if you want to trade with ME.  Now, beer (commercial or homebrew) is a different matter.  It has real nutritional value, and not just recreational value.  Drinking beer (real beer made from grain, that is) is very much like drinking a loaf of bread.  But even still, I'd probably rather have the grain.

I think you are right about smokes.  A lot of people will end up quitting whether they like it or not once the supply of factory-made, trucker-shipped cigs is gone.

Coffee, Cocoa, and Chocolate will also be biggies, imo, because they don't grow here, and people definitely like the stuff.  Though, like nicotine, there will be an awful lot of cold-turkey caffeine quitters when TSHTF.

Offline ColdHaven

• Coldylocks
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2009, 05:59:47 PM »
Beer also has medicinal value to it. If you can't get cranberry, then beer is the next best thing. Nothing could be worse than PSHTF with a UTI.  :o

Offline Darkwinter

• Junior Evil Overlord
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2009, 06:01:11 PM »
God Bless Beer, c'mon, say it with me!!! :)

Offline ColdHaven

• Coldylocks
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2009, 06:24:20 PM »
"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." ---  Benjamin Franklin

homeshow

« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2009, 09:10:22 PM »
Though, like nicotine, there will be an awful lot of cold-turkey caffeine quitters when TSHTF.

look i'm willing to live off my garden, repel looters, skin deer, run a trot line,etc.  i am for the most part a realist.  BUT lets not talk about the loss of delivery of coffee. ever. >:(

Offline TexDaddy

• TSP Goat Wrangling Geezer. He is EVIL also.
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
  • I live in Texas. What country are you from?
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2009, 09:21:12 PM »
BUT lets not talk about the loss of delivery of coffee. ever. >:(
I'm with you on that one, homeshow. That is why I have LOTS of it stored away. Rotated through, of course. ;)

Offline Zef_66

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2009, 06:44:49 AM »
God Bless Beer, c'mon, say it with me!!! :)

Not necessarily out of worry for a disaster, but I stockpile beer at times as well. My brother in law often will buy beer in bulk and get a good price. So I will get 10-15 cases from him at a time. In fact, I have 10 cases coming on Friday as my supply was getting low (down to almost 3 cases).  :-[

Offline liftsboxes

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Quit Whining
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2009, 09:30:02 AM »
A related question ... what about growing marijuana in a SHTF senario?

First off, let me say thing clearly: I am not nor am I advocating the breaking of today's laws.

However, the hemp plant has quiet a few uses and is reportedly a hardy crop.  Assuming the breakdown of society as we know it, how does this crowd feel about this crop?

Offline Klapton

• BANNED
  • Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2009, 10:05:21 AM »
A related question ... what about growing marijuana in a SHTF senario?

First off, let me say thing clearly: I am not nor am I advocating the breaking of today's laws.

However, the hemp plant has quiet a few uses and is reportedly a hardy crop.  Assuming the breakdown of society as we know it, how does this crowd feel about this crop?

First you need to know the difference between marijuana and hemp.  They are both cannabis, but they are VERY different agricultural crops.  Smoking hemp will give you nothing but a headache.  If you grow hemp anywhere near marijuana, it will ruin the doobage.  This is part of the absolute insanity of banning hemp in America.  Hemp pollen would destroy more pot that the FedGoons could ever dream of destroying.

Offline TexDaddy

• TSP Goat Wrangling Geezer. He is EVIL also.
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
  • I live in Texas. What country are you from?
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2009, 07:17:20 PM »
First you need to know the difference between marijuana and hemp.  They are both cannabis, but they are VERY different agricultural crops.  Smoking hemp will give you nothing but a headache.  If you grow hemp anywhere near marijuana, it will ruin the doobage.  This is part of the absolute insanity of banning hemp in America.  Hemp pollen would destroy more pot that the FedGoons could ever dream of destroying.

If it makes sense, then of course, the gunverment would never do it. And, they would be unable to show how vital they are in saving us from ourselves.

Offline khristopher23

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2009, 07:24:17 PM »
THIS FORUM IS NOT THE PLACE TO TALK ABOUT GROWING MARIJUANA FOR ANY REASON !!!

Let's ease this one back onto the alcohol topic please, not hemp or marijuana.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2009, 07:28:38 PM by khristopher23 »

Offline Klapton

• BANNED
  • Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2009, 08:07:00 PM »
Flax = great fiber, excellent source of Omega 3, either for human consumption or to boost the omega 3 in eggs and chicken.

I love single-malt scotch.  The peatier the better.

Offline Patriot:Ex Machina

• Administrator Emeritus
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Malo periculosam libertatem quam quietum servitium
    • Patriot Gun & Gear
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2009, 08:37:34 PM »
THIS FORUM IS NOT THE PLACE TO TALK ABOUT GROWING MARIJUANA FOR ANY REASON !!!

Let's ease this one back onto the alcohol topic please, not hemp or marijuana.

Indeed.
I agree with khristopher23.
Let's get back on topic folks.

Offline Darkwinter

• Junior Evil Overlord
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2009, 08:41:09 PM »
After a long day in the garden, or any physical labor, there is nothing better than a COLD beer.  If it ever got so bad that we were bartering for everything, I might trade you a shotgun for a bag of ice and a pint of lager.  ;)

homeshow

« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2009, 08:45:44 PM »
After a long day in the garden, or any physical labor, there is nothing better than a COLD beer.  If it ever got so bad that we were bartering for everything, I might trade you a shotgun for a bag of ice and a pint of lager.  ;)

throw in a box of shells and you can have 2 pints.

Offline union hill

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2009, 09:22:52 PM »
I think booze would make a great item for barter... I just found out COSTCO is coming out with their own line of Vodka and Anejo Tequila... bummer that in my state (WA) the state has a monopoly on hard liquor sales so I probably won't see any in my COSTO...